Mobile Wifi Router

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Will you never give up. What part of I don't care don't you understand?  

When did you write you didn't care before dear child?

600 baht a month is a lot when you could be paying considerably less for a truly unlimited connection. But if you don't care to be paying more, that's up to you. But other readers may be interested and since it isn't your thread....

Simply put me on ignore if you don't wish to see my posts. Have a nice day....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Certainly, main supplier, TOT fibre, 500 Baht per month.  We also have a mobile 'D' Link with AIS  that my wife and the kids use extensively when they are out and about, 600 Baht per month.   

AIS have a unlimited data capped speed plan of 6 Mbps for 3500 baht per annum. A saving of over 50% if you are paying 600 baht per month all year round.

You are welcome. ????

20 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Thanks. I am not sure if 6 Mbps is adequate, but it is all that CAT offers (at least in their broadly available brochures). I checked on the internet and most sites say that 5 Mbps is sufficient for "normal" internet requirements, so I am assuming that 6 Mbps is "ok".  I have a combined cable tv and internet package in my other house from Banglamung Cable and TV, which is acceptable. CAT does offer wired internet access in the area of my beach house, but not cable tv.  I am guessing it is triple the price per month of the 6 Mbps option.  

It depends on the application. if streaming Full HD on your TV it might struggle. But if you aren't bothered about the highest quality streams if should be adequate.

There are people on the forum who use the 4 Mbps SIMs as their main connection and claim to be happy streaming YouTube etc.

You can always buy a one or two day package to test the speeds before committing. But as you say, if it's the only option, you'll have to make do.

On the other hand, if it's only going to be used for a few days, you have the option of buying faster unlimited data for shorter periods without spending more than what you have budgeted.

For instance, if you are there for just a couple of days and you have a Truemove H SIM registered before the 1st of Feb. you can subscribe to a 10 Mbps 48 hour package for 80.25 baht.

or 10 Mbps over 7 days for 353.10 baht

So there may be other options if 6 Mbps turns out to be not enough for shared home usage.

45 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Unfortunately most of your post is wrong. 

There are many here that have capped speed plans that are truly unlimited in data. In fact the OP has linked to such.

Whereas the plans to which you are likely referring have a certain amount of data at high speed. When that is depleted, it slows down to a crawl, but you still have a connection.

People still refer to these plans as unlimited.

In addition there are full speed plans that are truly unlimited. Full speed and no slowdown. But they are not 600 baht, but 1605 baht.

So, you don't appear to have any idea of what you are going on about.

Most of what I wrote in that particular post is about coming on a forum disrespecting every member who tries to help you and throwing a child-like tantrum using insults about their intelligence, and why it won't help you.

Most of that post is spot-on. 

I am reminded of the adage "one cannot reason with an unreasonable person"

And while your latest posts do refreshingly show at least a modicum of understanding the cellular world, you still chose to insult with your language, and that makes your conversational tone one-dimentional and uninteresting to me.

But I will entertain you for a minute: you show me a "unlimited" plan, and I will show you the fine print which explains, at some point at which your speed will be throttled. My unlimited plan, yes at 600 baht a month, is truly unlimited, yes it gets throttled at a certain point, yes I can tether with it indefinitely, no once it's throttled I cannot stream Netflix satisfactorly anymore. But yes I can still surf the web which makes it still valuable, useful, and oh yes, unlimited.

I'm not saying there isn't a plan out there where they never ever throttle no matter how much data you use. No one can honestly say they are intimately familiar with every nuance of every TOS on the face of the planet. Noone with credibility that is.

What I am saying is that if such a plan exists, which I do not imagine it does, it would be a rare bird indeed and prohibitively expensive.

32 minutes ago, JamJar said:

It depends on the application. if streaming Full HD on your TV it might struggle. But if you aren't bothered about the highest quality streams if should be adequate.

There are people on the forum who use the 4 Mbps SIMs as their main connection and claim to be happy streaming YouTube etc.

You can always buy a one or two day package to test the speeds before committing. But as you say, if it's the only option, you'll have to make do.

On the other hand, if it's only going to be used for a few days, you have the option of buying faster unlimited data for shorter periods without spending more than what you have budgeted.

Thanks. The "big commitment" will be the router that accepts the SIM. A good one is B4000. The SIM can always be transferred to a phone for data use if the in-home arrangement is not satisfactory. CAT does offer fiber internet in the area of the weekend home, so I will check that first. I think that 6 Mbps should be acceptable. 

8 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Most of what I wrote in that particular post is about coming on a forum disrespecting every member who tries to help you and throwing a child-like tantrum using insults about their intelligence, and why it won't help you.

And while your latest posts do refreshingly show at least a modicum of understanding the cellular world, you still chose to insult with your language, and that makes your conversational tone one-dimentional and uninteresting to me.

But I will entertain you for a minute: you show me a "unlimited" plan, and I will show you the fine print which explains, at some point at which your speed will be throttled. My unlimited plan, yes at 600 baht a month, is truly unlimited, yes it gets throttled at a certain point, yes I can tether with it indefinitely, no once it's throttled I cannot stream Netflix satisfactorly anymore. But yes I can still surf the web which makes it still valuable, useful, and oh yes, unlimited.

I'm not saying there isn't a plan out there where they never ever throttle no matter how much data you use. No one can honestly say they are intimately familiar with every nuance of every TOS on the face of the planet. Noone with credibility that is.

What I am saying is that if such a plan exists, which I do not imagine it does, it would be a rare bird indeed and prohibitively expensive.

I am going to ignore most of your off-topic nonsense and stick to discussing mobile data...

So, as i already asked you in post #57; Show us the data limit of this plan before the speed is capped(you mean throttled anyway) ; http://www.mybycat.com/en/PrePay.php?package=90_แพ็กเกจเสริม-my-เน็ตเพลิน-1,-4,-6-Mbps

25 minutes ago, JamJar said:

For instance, if you are there for just a couple of days and you have a Truemove H SIM registered before the 1st of Feb. you can subscribe to a 10 Mbps 48 hour package for 80.25 baht.

or 10 Mbps over 7 days for 353.10 baht

So there may be other options if 6 Mbps turns out to be not enough for shared home usage.

Thanks. Very helpful. But the transaction costs of the short term plans makes them unappealing, for anything more than "testing" their quality/usefulness. I will check the cost of the fiber internet option that CAT offers, but if that is too much (which I expect that it will be), I will go for the home router with SIM installation and a 6Mbps SIM.  

6 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Thanks. Very helpful. But the transaction costs of the short term plans makes them unappealing, for anything more than "testing" their quality/usefulness. I will check the cost of the fiber internet option that CAT offers, but if that is too much (which I expect that it will be), I will go for the home router with SIM installation and a 6Mbps SIM.  

Not sure what you mean by transaction costs, especially if you are going to be paying for periods when you aren't utilising the connection at all. Whereas you will save money by paying only when you intend to utilise.

This is where a MiFi comes in useful, as you can take the connection with you everywhere.

Either way, it will all come out in the wash.

22 minutes ago, Happystance said:

and if you are looking for truly unlimited in both bandwidth and volume, click here and scroll down to the Internet 4G Unlimited Internet at Max Speed of 300 Mbps @ 1500 baht

There are many more examples.

So be careful of announcing something as fact when you don't actually know and be grateful there is someone fighting to make sure the facts come to the fore.

I can see having separate equipment to do different tasks.  I've 3 phones that function as remote controls and cameras and other things around the house where I could of course do it with one.  I particularly like the Galaxy Note 4 because it has an IR blaster and replaceable battery.  Referb's are cheap. 

11 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Not sure what you mean by transaction costs, especially if you are going to be paying for periods when you aren't utilising the connection at all. Whereas you will save money by paying only when you intend to utilise.

This is where a MiFi comes in useful, as you can take the connection with you everywhere.

Either way, it will all come out in the wash.

Noted. I was thinking that I would need to go to 7/11 every time to purchase the 48 hours of internet time, but there is probably a number to dial to activate the service. If I have a router with a SIM slot, I would likely need to remove the SIM from the router, install it in my phone, dial the number to activate the service and put the SIM back in the router, which seems like a bit of a hassle.  And I internalize fixed upfront costs quickly and avoid "pay as you go" charges. I much prefer "packages" when staying at a resort that includes the frills, as I will avoid the fun extras if I have to pay for them individually -- perhaps irrational, but not, I think, uncommon behavior. So, I might try to "limp by" with my 1 Mbps phone hotspot rather than activate the 6 Mbps internet via the router; I don't want that. In any event, you have given me some useful options to consider before I buy a router that will accept a SIM, which is very much appreciated.  :wai:

17 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Noted. I was thinking that I would need to go to 7/11 every time to purchase the 48 hours of internet time, but there is probably a number to dial to activate the service. If I have a router with a SIM slot, I would likely need to remove the SIM from the router, install it in my phone, dial the number to activate the service and put the SIM back in the router, which seems like a bit of a hassle.  And I internalize fixed upfront costs quickly and avoid "pay as you go" charges. I much prefer "packages" when staying at a resort that includes the frills, as I will avoid the fun extras if I have to pay for them individually -- perhaps irrational, but not, I think, uncommon behavior. So, I might try to "limp by" with my 1 Mbps phone hotspot rather than activate the 6 Mbps internet via the router; I don't want that. In any event, you have given me some useful options to consider before I buy a router that will accept a SIM, which is very much appreciated.  :wai:

No need to remove the SIM. Usually, as long as you are actually connected via that network's mobile data, you can click through the link on a corresponding page in order to subscribe.

Example via AIS; https://m.ais.co.th/package-ontop/?appName=worker&lang=en

Similar options will be available with all of the networks.

So you don't necessarily need to tap in a code. Similarly to top up. As long as you know the number, you can apply credit.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why is it expensive ? the OP is talking about the same thing, internet via sim card then a device to share it wifi. a phone will do the same thing as a pocket wifi router. I use an old phone with a broken screen for just that purpose.

Seems to me that if your paying for wi-fi within your monthly costs for your smartphone (needed to be able to use all the basic functions of a smartphone, e.mail, line, etc), then there's no extra charge if your using it as a hotspot?

Whereas a separate device would mean stand alone costs for that seperate device?

Or have I lost the plot?

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me that if your paying for wi-fi within your monthly costs for your smartphone (needed to be able to use all the basic functions of a smartphone, e.mail, line, etc), then there's no extra charge if your using it as a hotspot?

Whereas a separate device would mean stand alone costs for that seperate device?

Or have I lost the plot?

You pay for internet (not wifi) via the sim on your phone, your phone used as a hotspot then distributes the internet as a local wifi signal. You dont need a separate device.

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Or have I lost the plot?

That would be the case but you can get a phone plan with no wifi although that would be kind of silly as most of us need to download things from time to time if nothing else when shopping or at the doctors office.  I download information on all my pills and get a second opinion before I take anything.  Saved my life on more than one occasion. 

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You pay for internet (not wifi) via the sim on your phone, your phone used as a hotspot then distributes the internet as a local wifi signal. You dont need a separate device.

I like a separate device as I hook my phone to my PC when I tether it. And leave my phone with a wifi remote next to my chair when I watch TV.  So, to recap.  That's one phone in my pocket, one connected by usb to pc and a third by my big leather chair to change channels when I watch TV and one in the kitchen with recipes in a stand while I cook. 

15 minutes ago, Happystance said:

I can't read Thai and this link, tho it has an English button, does not provide TOS in English.

Google Translate beyond you?

Package Terms and Conditions
• Apply for service from today - 31 March 62
• Users must apply for the main package first. Therefore able to apply for such supplementary packages
• Additional packages mentioned above Cannot be used in conjunction with the main package that provides continuous internet access.
• Excess service fees from additional packages Will be calculated based on the main package rate used at that time
• Unlimited usage of 4G / 3G internet. At the maximum speed as specified
• Additional package privileges From the date of application until the end of the package period. For example, users who subscribe to the package "my internet, enjoy 4 Mbps. 186 days" (one time cut, 1,400), 22 Apr 61 10.00 hrs. Will be able to use the service until 24 Oct 61 at 10.00 hrs., Users applying for the package "my internet, enjoy 6 Mbps. 93 days" (one time cut 1,000) on the 17th Sep 61 at 10.00 hrs. Will be able to use the service until 19 Dec 61 at 10.00 hrs.
• The subscriber must have sufficient balance to apply for the subscription plus 7% VAT. The privilege will start after receiving the confirmation SMS. If the use occurs before or after the said license To charge the service according to the main package Active at that time
• In case the user has canceled the service before the end of the usage period according to the package Can not request the refund of the remaining service fees
• Such packages For normal personal use only Cannot be used for commercial purposes Or using large amounts of data that may affect other users such as Bit Torrent or sharing via Hotspot or using electronic devices that require connection In the event that the Company detects such use, the Company will automatically suspend its use.
• If the company Detected that the user has downloaded Or upload large files Or use any With continuous high-volume data transmission In a manner that is not as normal as the general public uses Or have usage behavior that may affect the use of services of other users Or have an impact on the network and overall service provision. The company has the right to manage the network as appropriate. In order to maintain service quality standards And to help the overall service users to use effectively, the company can change the promotion Or limit the amount of usage of users and the speed of the internet as appropriate
• 4G / 3G internet usage speed depends on service area, number of users, connection equipment And the settings of the device
• Service fees other than those specified Based on the rate specified by the service provider, including international phone charges Call charges, special numbers, roaming charges And other value added services
• The above fees do not include VAT 7%. The company reserves the right to change the details. By giving notice in advance

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

and if you are looking for truly unlimited in both bandwidth and volume, click here and scroll down to the Internet 4G Unlimited Internet at Max Speed of 300 Mbps @ 1500 baht

There are many more examples.

So be careful of announcing something as fact when you don't actually know and be grateful there is someone fighting to make sure the facts come to the fore.

Right back at ya!

So, here you provide a screenshot, makes it impossible to link through to the TOS. 

I'll just assume you do this because the forum has issues posting links and not just to be difficult.

But an easy search on the actual AIS TOS of the 1500 baht "unlimited" plan you refer to (which btw I consider prohibitively expensive anyways) reveals this:

"

• In order to maintain service quality standard and to keep quality network experience for overall subscribers, the company reserves the rights to manage the network as the company deems appropriate including but not limited to limiting or decreasing network speed in case it is found that there is large volume of continuous data transfer, using BitTorrent, sharing Internet via Hotspot, downloading and/or uploading large files, consuming usage for commercial purposes, or any usage which impacts or creates unfairness to other subscribers, or creates impediments to the network of the company."

"Truly Unlimited." Right.

They can throttle you for any reason at any time including using the data as a hotspot. All for the low price of 1500 baht!

A swing and a miss ????

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That would be the case but you can get a phone plan with no wifi although that would be kind of silly as most of us need to download things from time to time if nothing else when shopping or at the doctors office.  I download information on all my pills and get a second opinion before I take anything.  Saved my life on more than one occasion. 

You are mixing WiFi with mobile data.

WiFi is generally associated with HotSpots and Routers with a wireless capability.

All SIMs have the data capability, whether you purchase a package or not.

Whilst you may that it just a matter of semantics, we have on more than one occasion, have been baffled here until we realised that an OP actually wanted a WiFi package as opposed to mobile data; http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/wifi/entry/3592

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

You are mixing WiFi with mobile data.

WiFi is generally associated with HotSpots and Routers with a wireless capability.

All SIMs have the data capability, whether you purchase a package or not.

Whilst you may that it just a matter of semantics, we have on more than one occasion, have been baffled here until we realised that an OP actually wanted a WiFi package as opposed to mobile data; http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/wifi/entry/3592

I'm not mixing up anything.  My package, " 4G Max Speed package Monthly fee 688 Baht, Voice 300mins, Internet total of 20GB, including 4G/3G internet 16GB and 4G Internet 4GB (to stop afterward), and Unlimited AIS SUPER WiFi "  When I go to the hospital or shopping I download stuff.  Sometimes on the WiFi at the place and sometimes I use my phone's package that I've paid for and sometimes AIS SUPER WIFI or 3bb. 

5 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Right back at ya!

So, here you provide a screenshot, makes it impossible to link through to the TOS. 

I'll just assume you do this because the forum has issues posting links and not just to be difficult.

But an easy search on the actual AIS TOS of the 1500 baht "unlimited" plan you refer to (which btw I consider prohibitively expensive anyways) reveals this:

"

• In order to maintain service quality standard and to keep quality network experience for overall subscribers, the company reserves the rights to manage the network as the company deems appropriate including but not limited to limiting or decreasing network speed in case it is found that there is large volume of continuous data transfer, using BitTorrent, sharing Internet via Hotspot, downloading and/or uploading large files, consuming usage for commercial purposes, or any usage which impacts or creates unfairness to other subscribers, or creates impediments to the network of the company."

"Truly Unlimited." Right.

They can throttle you for any reason at any time including using the data as a hotspot. All for the low price of 1500 baht!

A swing and a miss ????

Sorry, but you appear just another cut and paste merchant with no apparent knowledge whatsoever.

If you can find even a single person on this forum or anywhere on the Internet who has been throttled or thrown off their plan for overuse, I will concede.

On the contrary, even on this forum alone, you will find users who claim to have used hundreds of GBs on a regular basis with no adverse effects at all.

Of course, they protect themselves with a T&C. But find me even a single person who has been adversely affected. 

No one has hit upon a limit. Not even a single person and every single person using them are using them is tethering to some extent.

So, please, you have no credibility here at all. You are just winging it.

The plans are truly unlimited. No volume of data and then a slow down, which it what you referred to as unlimited.

Of course if you are utilising it for commercial purposes, you might get a reaction. But no one here using it for streaming and downloading of movies etc has ever had an issue related to throttling. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm not mixing up anything.  My package, " 4G Max Speed package Monthly fee 688 Baht, Voice 300mins, Internet total of 20GB, including 4G/3G internet 16GB and 4G Internet 4GB (to stop afterward), and Unlimited AIS SUPER WiFi "  When I go to the hospital or shopping I download stuff.  Sometimes on the WiFi at the place and sometimes I use my phone's package that I've paid for and sometimes AIS SUPER WIFI or 3bb. 

Sorry, but you are confusing the issue....

That would be the case but you can get a phone plan with no wifi although that would be kind of silly as most of us need to download things from time to time if nothing else when shopping or at the doctors office.

With mobile data, why would that be an issue? Are HotSpots more prevalent than mobile data signals? I think not.

I don't have a WiFi plan and I dare say neither do most of the members here.

45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Indeed it is clear that in your reply to scorecard, that he is referring to mobile data and tethering utilising your existing Smartphone, as opposed to buying a standalone unit, such as a MiFi and then buying an extra SIM plan to go with it.

He isn't referring to the WiFi/Super WiFi aspect of your phone plan at all, but mobile data.

You can get WiFi from the place where you are or services like AIS SUPER WIFI or 3bb.  There is a switch on your phone that says mobile data.  Click it on and the phone uses it's own data plan along with WiFi from an outside source for speed and ease of download. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Or have I lost the plot?

Like most of us, we have a terrestrial Internet solution as well as our smartphones.

So it appears that the OP wants the same. A standalone solution for powering TV Internet connections etc. 

Also useful if you have IP webcams to watch over the property.

14 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sorry, but you appear just another cut and paste merchant with no apparent knowledge whatsoever.

If you can find even a single person on this forum or anywhere on the Internet who has been throttled or thrown off their plan for overuse, I will concede.

On the contrary, even on this forum alone, you will find users who claim to have used hundreds of GBs on a regular basis with no adverse effects at all.

Of course, they protect themselves with a T&C. But find me even a single person who has been adversely affected. 

No one has hit upon a limit. Not even a single person and every single person using them are using them is tethering to some extent.

So, please, you have no credibility here at all. You are just winging it.

The plans are truly unlimited. No volume of data and then a slow down, which it what you referred to as unlimited.

Of course if you are utilising it for commercial purposes, you might get a reaction. But no one here using it for streaming and downloading of movies etc has ever had an issue related to throttling. 

You are funny. You seek conjecture via comments made anonymous forum members to trump actual TOS. 

I've read scores scathing reviews of people who have been cut off by various other providers. It can and does happen all the time.

Clearly tho you cannot be wrong, even when you so clearly are ????

I've had my fun paddling your arrogant pooper. ????

You have the information.

Ignore it and bask in your malinformed delusions at your own peril. ????????

Adios!

55 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Like most of us, we have a terrestrial Internet solution as well as our smartphones.

So it appears that the OP wants the same. A standalone solution for powering TV Internet connections etc. 

Also useful if you have IP webcams to watch over the property.

I have 4 cams that watch over my property and I access them through an app on my phone from anywhere.  Why would I need another piece of equipment? 

The OP never said what total MBs he would need over a 3-4 day period of stay at his weekend place but with my prepaid Truemove sim I can buy a 7 day 100Mbps plan that gives me 5gb of data - This can be ordered simply by using the app on my phone or IPad... Obviously if you have a number of people wanting to do a lot of streaming and such this might not work...

746CF0CB-E99B-488E-B1AB-8262ED7FC3A6.jpeg

Archived