18 Months Smoke Free, thoughts

Samui Bodoh

Hi All

Yes, as per the title of the post, I have made it a year and a half. And yes, while I do not show it in public or anywhere beyond the anonymous Forum walls, I am very, very proud of myself; it was 35 years or so, but now I am done. Hooray for me! (er... sorry ????).

That said, I am writing today for those of you who are still smoking; if you are a smoker and are reading this, then some part of you wants to quit. It may be conscious or unconscious, a big part of you or a small part of you, deliberate or not deliberate, but some part of you wants to quit.

Er... Ahem... As the man says, "Just Do It".

The biggest issue for me was a lack of belief that I could actually do it. Yes, I always knew that it was terrible for my health. Yes, I always knew that I was (literally) burning money for no return. Yes, I always knew that it made me stink and reek. Yes, I always knew that I was an addict and that I smoked because I was addicted. I could go on, but...

However, notwithstanding the above, I simply did not think that I could quit, so I never really tried.

Once I really decided to try, I succeeded. It hasn't been easy, I have had a few really rotten days (although not for a long time now), I had to struggle, but I did it. 

And, so can you.

There is no reason for me to say much more. You know that you should quit, so make the decision, mean it, and have a go; you are the only person who can make the decision, and you are the only person who can see it through.

If you need some help after the initial decision, there are many, many kind souls here who can and will offer support and advice on techniques, medicines, resources, etc. I have to say that the response and feedback from members here was a great help to me; Thank You!!!

Not much else to say; make the decision and have a better life.

Good luck!

PS Because I am frugal, I'll let everyone know one of my reasons; by NOT smoking for the last year and a half, I saved approximately 107,000 Baht. What would you do with an extra 107,000 Baht?

All the toxins leave your system in the first six months. The recovery of lung capacity takes 3 - 5 years. I understand the lung cancer risk gets back to that of a non-smoker after about ten years. Well done.

BTW, I stopped smoking in 1983.

I was 1/2 oz a day golden virginia smoker , start of every day was a cup of tea and 3 roll ups, then rolled up another 10 or so to put on my lorry dash board for the daily run, i suddenly quit 1990, i would either not be here to type this or in deep shit health wise. good topic !

April 10th 2018.

So nearly a year.

Relatively easy, straight fwd and pain free for me.

But i've always hated taylor mades, and smoked roll ups my whole life, which i believe have far fewer chems in them.

The worst bit is actually missing the rolling.......

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

April 10th 2018.

So nearly a year.

Relatively easy, straight fwd and pain free for me.

But i've always hated taylor mades, and smoked roll ups my whole life, which i believe have far fewer chems in them.

The worst bit is actually missing the rolling.......

HUH ! ya dont miss the licking ??

Archived