BANGKOK
Olmate

Patong air quality

35 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I think we have differing opinions on that Old Croc, but thank you for your kind words with regards to being crook.

And I say that because I have taken readings on my balcony on several occasions and have posted them here, and just 12 days ago the reading was in the 70s, and it has been almost as high on a number of other occasions. Maybe it's the actual area as I am in the sort of tree line and it almost acts like a "net" to catch any haze there may be around the place and I can often smell it.

Since the history I wrote about ended some 40 years ago, and I've been free of it ever since, apart from the last few years here, I doubt whether that history has had any bearing on the current condition.

LOL, and I mean that in a not disparaging way, my forays out into the night life here are once weekly (in the main), and start at about 8.30 pm at a local restaurant, before moving onto a couple of open bars (with perhaps a go-go if I have visitors from out of town) and ending up in a large bar with large open frontage so not sure that this could be the real trigger as the total time spent out in these places in any week is about 5 to 6 hours!!

I'm sure you are right that the tropics are not the right place for people with respiratory sensitivities, however as I respectfully pointed out I've never had them until the last three years and that is when I believe the equality in Patong began to go downhill.

Agree that expecting the Thai authorities to do anything about this, other than spraying water up into the air and hoping it clears it – – yeah right, is as you say, a bridge too far.

Luckily enough I don't have any other health problems at the moment to worry about, and I sincerely hope that yours are not serious and very manageable.

PS. I have just been out on the balcony and my PM 2.5 reading is about 37, so as you say, no problem really, however I think it's on the days when it goes way above this that the problems begin.

Take care out there trans-Tasman cousin.

Do you see a correlation between cruisers at patong bay and worse air quality?

Imho there is a correlation. The mornings with 2 arriving cruisers are stinky mornings.

I'm often in Maikhao and there air is always good. 

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Imho there is a correlation. The mornings with 2 arriving cruisers are stinky mornings.

Cant see the ships from here schlog, but it is very possible that they add to the worsening air quality.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Been quite a haze these last 4 days in the mornings  looking out to sea over Kata. Seems to clear up by afternoon.

I too have a raspy phlegmy cough. Especially after a few hours sleep. Need to get up and blow all the snot out of my nose. Then all Ok till get up in morning. Repeat blow nose and I am mostly Ok for much of the day.  Been like that for quite a few weeks now.

Wife thinks it's caused by sleeping in Air Con bedroom. Not bad enough to see Hospital doc.    

Interesting response as my post was a pre cursor to most of the symptoms I experienced and you and others have displayed. Sure sounds like a localised virus of some sort. Almost headed to hospital a few days back but has since improved ,and yes agree aircon on is a suspect!

Edited by Olmate

16 hours ago, schlog said:

They do tend to keep their engines going the whole time they're parked in the bay. (No doubt necessary to keep all electrical systems going)

This would add to toxins floating around in Patong.

Pollution there was one of the main reasons I moved to the other side of the hill.

Patong 001.JPGQM2.jpg