Second have SUV- any more reliable than others?

Mrs. SP is thinking about a 2nd hand SUV.  I see Fortuners tend to hold their value better than say Trailblazers, Pajeros etc.  Is this just due to the badge, or do Chevy and Mitsu have more reliability issues?   We're looking at vehicles in the 500-700K range.  I've looked at kaidee and one2car.

Any input would be appreciated.  

My view is if anyone wants a s/h vehicle SUV whatever in Thailand and pays cash they can get a dam good deal.

Go for what Mrs wants ???? check history if you don't know much about motors get someone to drive it for you who does.

My 2005 4 door Vigo I sold still drives like a new one.

Pretty simple to buy a used vehicle,no service book?

Let it go and look at something else.

If you have a vehicle in mind and even if they have a (dealership)

service book you call up the dealer and ask for the odometer reading at the last service provided.They will tell you and then you can be sure.Sure is another way to buy reliability,second hand Toyote vehicles with real warranty but most cars and trucks are not very old.I have bought using both one2car and car tents.

Double check the mileage check service book big time as too easy to rewind the clock I found that out years ago in swampy when looking for a used pick up. Speedo showed 65,000 kms but I found a receipt under passenger seat for 2 tyres. Speedo reading 105,000??. Bought a Isuzu highlander diesel turbo. Wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, useless on hills, had turbo etc checked no problem? Would look at a Toyota if I were you

I am from USA and my whole family drives Toyotas.  SUV is high cost per km and not fun to drive in the city.  Sis did by a new Fortuner last year, I think she said 43k usd in MN, so maybe 1.6+ here..loves it.  

28 minutes ago, moontang said:

I am from USA and my whole family drives Toyotas.  SUV is high cost per km and not fun to drive in the city.  Sis did by a new Fortuner last year, I think she said 43k usd in MN, so maybe 1.6+ here..loves it.  

I cant see how you can say that the new Toyo SUV has high running costs per km. I have a new 2.8 Tuna and it uses around 1lt per 16km on average. Bit more in town but not a lot less. Service costs are under 2.3th bht inclusive for a full 10th service. It might be higher in the USA but not in Thailand. Compare that to other SUV and they wont come near that.

My last SUV was a 3lt Tuna that did do less per Km as it had been chipped, also only had a 4 speed auto box. Never had to replace even a bulb on that in the over the 8+ years I had it. 

Saying all of the above if you go for a small engine one they won't do as good. lt=km. 

Regards city driving that's never fun in any car. But at least you can see what happening all around you in an SUV. Safety first is the best bet.  

That was a separate sentence.  SUV in general are higher running cost overall, and Toyota would be below ave for the group.  4 wd is higher to maintain, heavier, more wear and tear.  Manadatory dealer servicing srews you, but that would be much better here.  but there is a cost for a parking space to hold that thing, anywhere in Thailand, and large amounts as you get near the CBD.  A friend gave his wife a new Pathfinder, and sold her five year old honda accord....she had regrets, as she was mostly running farm errands on good roads, without snow.  Riding with a Thai Driver in an SUV?  sheeesh...put me on a 6.5 thb red monster..or a 737..

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

That was a separate sentence.  SUV in general are higher running cost overall, and Toyota would be below ave for the group.  4 wd is higher to maintain, heavier, more wear and tear.  Manadatory dealer servicing srews you, but that would be much better here.  but there is a cost for a parking space to hold that thing, anywhere in Thailand, and large amounts as you get near the CBD.  A friend gave his wife a new Pathfinder, and sold her five year old honda accord....she had regrets, as she was mostly running farm errands on good roads, without snow.  Riding with a Thai Driver in an SUV?  sheeesh...put me on a 6.5 thb red monster..or a 737..

For your information the cost km=lt I quoted was for a 4x4 2.8 Tuna. Service cost also at a Toyo dealership here.

Parking doesn't come into it as you never pay to park anywhere in Thailand. By the way a Tuna is smaller overall than a 4 door pick up just a bit of trivia. 

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

A friend paid 500k thb new for basic toyo 4x2 in 2011, now he can get 300K thb for it with 150K km on it.  You would get about a third of that for that chevy or ford...in the us anyways.

Even less in the UK second hand car are almost worthless in the UK. You can pick up a BMW or Benz for peanuts. But you might have to sell your house to keep them running.

18 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Even less in the UK second hand car are almost worthless in the UK. You can pick up a BMW or Benz for peanuts. But you might have to sell your house to keep them running.

The cost of keeping a 2ndhand car on the road in the UK (or the rest of Europe) is very high, what with very strict MOT checks, and astronomical labour costs.  Rarely does a car get to much more than 12-15 years old before it costs more than its worth.

But here in T/L labour costs are almost nothing, the annual "safety" checks are a joke, and most repairs can be done with duct-tape or bailing twine if necessary.  Result is plenty of 20-30 year old cars around & in regular use, and still holding relatively good value.

In my experience, the previous generation Fortuner and Pajero Sport are both reliable.  We had both as company cars from 2011 and they did high kms before being sold, with no major issues.  Both were easy to sell and got similar sale prices but the Pajero was less to buy new so the Mitsu lost slightly less value.  

Either of these models hold their value much better than the X-Trail / CRV / Captiva etc.  

15 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Very happy with my Everest leaves the Fortuner for dead.

We have had our MY15 EVT+ since Nov 2015 ... and will keep it at least another 18 months. 

Lovely ride and fairly quite. A bit thirsty ...you can see it's fuel consumption from new by looking fuelly.com. And of course quite big!

Fortuner or pajero I would say. Parts are easy to get and not expensive as far as I know.

I have a 5 year old pajero 4x4 and only thing I have had to do was change the battery and I changed the tyres at 75000km to be safe even though old ones looked fine. Both pretty reliable cars but I don't like the 2 rear seats in the fortuners boot and I find them bulky to drive and bouncy .

Avoid captiva like the plague. Had one and sold it before it killed me !! Half the time when overtaking the engine would die to 50km/hr and would find myself beside the car I was trying to pass going the same speed with a oncoming car coming at me !!

6 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Good feedback so far.  Any preferences between diesel and petrol?  Looks like petrol vehicles are cheaper than diesels.

Non turbo petrol will be a slug, no grunt and cost more in fuel..

On 3/18/2019 at 2:11 PM, Irishrogue said:

Try Bahtsold.

Why?

One of the worst places to get a good deal or a bargain.

Felang selling to Ferang.

Expat buying from Expat.

At way inflated prices.

Dunno what it is here, but the Expat sales outlets are trying it on with rip off expensive prices on vehicles.

Cars & motorcycles.

As others have said, check the Thai websites such as Kaidee and Car2Car or Car4you & such like.

Real bargains and proper deals to be had.

And ignore the old wives tale, "but but but Thais and service intervals". Hogwash.

Archived