Notice of residence

Hi

My friend just returned to his own Condo in Pattaya  from the UK and was fined for not notifying immigration within 24 hours of his return. They said it was not new!! More than one official at Jomtien Pattaya said this. This sounds crazy if you own your own Condo! I am aware that if you are renting  the owner has to do this and hotels are supposed to do it! I thought the arrival card did this!

Has anyone else heard of this? Is it something that always existed and now they are enforcing it? Any info would be gratefully received!

11 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

Philipines has maybe a lower standard.

Yes, it will take a long time to reach Thailand Standard and Thailand standard is nothing to brag about ????

Edited by onera1961

33 minutes ago, RayongRob said:

Hi

My friend just returned to his own Condo in Pattaya  from the UK and was fined for not notifying immigration within 24 hours of his return. They said it was not new!! More than one official at Jomtien Pattaya said this. This sounds crazy if you own your own Condo! I am aware that if you are renting  the owner has to do this and hotels are supposed to do it! I thought the arrival card did this!

Has anyone else heard of this? Is it something that always existed and now they are enforcing it? Any info would be gratefully received!

It’s an old law that is increasingly enforced inconsistently around the country.

The law is meant as a way to keep tabs on foreigners as they move around the country. Every time the foreigner arrives in the country, or back to an address having stayed overnight elsewhere, someone is supposed to report their arrival.

The law says that the owner is one of the possible people required to report. So if the foreigner is also the owner they are expected, by some offices, to report themselves. IMO the law, written 40 years ago, is meant for a third party to report and didn’t take in to account foreign ownership by temporary visitors. But it doesn’t state that so a foreign owner can be considered responsible for the report even though it kind of defeats the point of the law.

Edited by elviajero

Yes, it will take a long time to reach Thailand Standard and Thailand standard is not to brag about [emoji846]
Maybe true. But things are changing fast here as well. And considering the Thai Immigration autocracy I don't even mind for a certain lower standard. Plus, it is also a money matter. No money in Thailand no good. More money in Philippines, perfect. But again, I'm not here in this forum to convince people to move to the Philippines. If you are happy in Thailand, all the better.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Depends bit on your imm office. Many office you need tm30

Which is why Thia Immigration needs a serious overhaul, they need to all follow the same procedures/rules/laws/forms, this should have been number one priority on the "Big Jokes" agenda.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ocddave said:

Which is why Thia Immigration needs a serious overhaul, they need to all follow the same procedures/rules/laws/forms, this should have been number one priority on the "Big Jokes" agenda.

But that would not maximize the corruption and fine money.  It's why they need "flexibility" in place of clear rules and guidelines - to trick people.  From on-entry to the country, to anything at any office, you never know when that knife in the back is coming. 

4 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

Hating the expats spending money there.

The knives in the back / changing rules on retired folks, random-denial-standards at airports, etc are immigration's way of "saying thanks" for us spending our money here.

Philippines has maybe a lower standard.

and easy going with immigration laws.

Not "lower" - just not foolish.  If you have money to spend from elsewhere, and obey the laws - why not let you stay?  It would be stupid to do otherwise.

But I love it here. Friendly people.

Agree.  Very nice people - unfortunately, the ladies I met all wanted to "go to my country" - which is one thing I much preferred about Thailand - they love their country/culture, and don't generally want to leave it.

As much smiles as in Thailand (not fake as in Thailand)

I don't think this is a fair thing to say.  There are two-faced types everywhere - smiling gold-diggers in every country.  I think the fact Thai gals are often more beautiful than the nearby options fuels this impression (though I haven't visited Vietnam - a kind Thai lady got to me first).

I asked at Jomtien immigration only last month as I intend on a foreign trip soon, the answer was no report on return and your 90 day clock resets on re entry, this was by a member at the info desk just inside the door. When did your friend get fined?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

I asked at Jomtien immigration only last month as I intend on a foreign trip soon, the answer was no report on return and your 90 day clock resets on re entry, this was by a member at the info desk just inside the door. When did your friend get fined?

does this mean---if i leave thailand every 90days or less--i have nothing to report ??

i try to do a small trip out of thailand within each 90 days. i havent been queried at all , yet....

i have my own condo,also at pattaya...sometimes stay in hotel at bkk.

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

does this mean---if i leave thailand every 90days or less--i have nothing to report ??

i try to do a small trip out of thailand within each 90 days. i havent been queried at all , yet....

Yes. You only need to report if you stay longer than 90 days.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:32 PM, murraynz said:

It means exactly that. 

Providing they are happy wrt the TM 30 side of things. 

@RayongRob Would I be correct in inferring from your username that your own immigration office is, in fact, Maptaput (and not Jomtien)? If so, their requirement (as I can vouch for on the basis of personal experience) is that a new TM30 only needs to be submitted following a permanent address change. I have applied for my past 3 retirement extensions there a few weeks after returning from trips abroad, and on none of these occasions has a new TM30 been requested of me (or, rather, my wife as housemaster).