BANGKOK 23 April 2019 11:20
thatland 2018 paul

Marriage visa for Thai girlfriend to bring her to England

Also don't forget the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) in addition to the visa fees for initial entry on the 5 year settlement route and the subsequent FLR(M).  The IHS fee is charged at £400 per year or part of any year exceeding six months and is paid in full as part of the visa application process.  The IHS is refunded if the visa application fails, unlike the visa application fee.

A Secure English Language Test (SELT) at a minimum of CEFR level A1 is required for initial entry clearance.  A SELT at a minimum of CEFR level A2 is required for FLR(M).   A SELT at a minimum of CEFR level B1 is needed for ILR as well as a pass in the Life in the UK test.

Your Thai wife can apply for ILR once she has lived in the UK for 60 months under the 5 year settlement route and has the B1 SELT and LITUK pass. 

• Like 1

And don't forget the English Language requirements for ILR. Very tough these days.
For the initial visa only A1 level English is required - which is very basic. After that the level of difficulty rises but as the applicant will have lived in the UK for quite a long time, A2 and then B1 level should be easy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A number of off topic or nonsense posts removed.

The guy is looking for advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And don’t forget you have to be earning or have a pension of at least £28000 a year. Good luck.

13 minutes ago, Caine said:

And don’t forget you have to be earning or have a pension of at least £28000 a year. Good luck.

I thought it was 21,500....have they increased it

If you don't have that income a large amount in the bank will do, think it's about 60k, not cheap these days.

Also must have a TB screening test done in Bangkok at one of the designated hospitals.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

For the initial visa only A1 level English is required - which is very basic. After that the level of difficulty rises but as the applicant will have lived in the UK for quite a long time, A2 and then B1 level should be easy.

Does anyone have any recommendations to help a Thai wife to pass the IELTS life skills A1, A2 and B1.

For example are there any practice at home resources/books that are useful for these specific exams or is the only option to pay a school/teacher to teach it?

Is Youtube a good resource to help home practice and are there other more specific resources maybe? 

Does that apply the other way 'round? If someone lived in Thailand "for quite a long time," should s/he be assumed to be moderately proficient in the Thai language ?
In my case, no. 14 years here, and only very basic Thai language skills (definitely not A1 level). But Thais in the UK have little option but to speak and understand English when they live in the UK, whereas I can live in Bangkok easily without having to speak or understand Thai.

Does anyone have any recommendations to help a Thai wife to pass the IELTS life skills A1, A2 and B1.

For example are there any practice at home resources/books that are useful for these specific exams or is the only option to pay a school/teacher to teach it?

Is Youtube a good resource to help home practice and are there other more specific resources maybe? 
Be careful of YouTube videos as they are not always accurate. Stick to the official IELTS practice tests on their website.

A1 Life Skills is pretty easy. Just simple questions about things like home, family, friends, free time; asking simple questions about a topic; listening to a short conversation and answering one gist question and two specific questions; discussing a simple topic with the other candidate and the examiner. As well as basic language skills, interaction skills with the other candidate and the examiner are assessed.