Marriage visa for Thai girlfriend to bring her to England

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Still not true.

All non Brits who wish to enter the UK for any purpose other than a visit require the same visa relevant to their reason for coming here; family settlement, student, work etc., and are subject to the same rules and regulations; except for the moment EEA nationals, but that will change after Brexit.

Some nationalities, Americans for example, do not require a visa in advance to enter the UK as a visitor; most do. Just as some nationalities, British for example, can enter Thailand for up to 30 days as a visitor without a visa, but most can't.

If you are going to compare Thailand and the UK, remember that after the Thai spouse of a British citizen has been living here for 5 years they can apply to remain indefinitely and once that is granted apply for British citizenship.

Can the same, or anything remotely similar, be said of a British spouse of a Thai living in Thailand? No.

I know you were replying to someone else but for the sake of debate and to reiterate my own point it should be much easier for a UK national to bring his foreign wife to live in the UK and especially if that uk national has only ever paid money into the system rather than be a burden

it gets to me when I goto the UK and I see non native Uk people managing immigration posts and all living over the UK but then my wife might not be able to pass all the tests to live with me. 

How is that fair?

11 hours ago, NightSky said:

I know you were replying to someone else but for the sake of debate and to reiterate my own point it should be much easier for a UK national to bring his foreign wife to live in the UK and especially if that uk national has only ever paid money into the system rather than be a burden

it gets to me when I goto the UK and I see non native Uk people managing immigration posts and all living over the UK but then my wife might not be able to pass all the tests to live with me. 

How is that fair?

You have hit the nail on the head and also carry the views of many UK nationalists .  I am not saying that it should be an automatic right of entry to the UK by a partner of a UK citizen but the current rules and their interpretation are not always just and that is starting from a tourist visa application never mind a settlement  .  The main reasons of visa rejection seem to be that there is not enough evidence that the Thai applicant will return to Thailand and that decision is the interpretation of an IO as in my ladies case . Apparently having a bank account , own house , own business , owner of land and supporting elderly parents is not proof of returning to Thailand .  Well what the xxxx is ?

A UK settlement visa must be a nightmare for those on an average salary or self employed status . Hope there is helpful advice for you on this forum .

Good luck

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Still not true.

All non Brits who wish to enter the UK for any purpose other than a visit require the same visa relevant to their reason for coming here; family settlement, student, work etc., and are subject to the same rules and regulations; except for the moment EEA nationals, but that will change after Brexit.

Some nationalities, Americans for example, do not require a visa in advance to enter the UK as a visitor; most do. Just as some nationalities, British for example, can enter Thailand for up to 30 days as a visitor without a visa, but most can't.

If you are going to compare Thailand and the UK, remember that after the Thai spouse of a British citizen has been living here for 5 years they can apply to remain indefinitely and once that is granted apply for British citizenship.

Can the same, or anything remotely similar, be said of a British spouse of a Thai living in Thailand? No.

Touche , however that does not stop you living in Thailand by way of visas . Some might argue that Thailand is for Thais and thus is protecting itself from unwanted immigration . I do not want to leave the main topic as the poster has met the brick wall of the UK immigration system where the UK residents partner receives no partizan treatment , indeed a costly process where the fees can be explained ?  You know as well as I do that the UK immigration annually is made up mostly of Asian continent folk who have family within the UK or asylum seekers etc and this leads to a easier visa application route . UK residents whose non UK partner has made a visa application should be treated fairly with a positive assumption of compliance and not the opposite as is now .

On 3/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, NightSky said:

I have wanted a huge discount on visas for all UK nationals that dare to fall in love with somebody from outside of Europe. It's a complete travesty and it would be a way for the system to be fairer to us Brits.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, NightSky said:

How is that fair?

Don't let's go there, this thread is about the OP's visa requirements, not the perceived nationality of Border Force Officers.

For the avoidance of doubt to be eligible to apply for a post as a Border Force Officer the applicant must be a UK National, Border Force Officer posts are reserved posts and are only open to UK nationals i.e. British citizens, British subjects under Part IV of the British Nationality Act 1981 having the right of abode in the UK and British Dependent Territories citizens acquiring citizenship from a connection with Gibraltar. You should normally have been resident in the United Kingdom for the last 5 years. There must be no employment restriction or time limit on their permitted stay in the UK.

14 hours ago, superal said:

You have hit the nail on the head and also carry the views of many UK nationalists . 

I wouldn't describe myself as a 'nationalist' at all, maybe there is a terminology mix up there although all I want is for the country of my birth and citizenship to allow me to support and live peacefully with my own family and without having to 'jump though hoops' to simply live in that county where I was born with my legal spouse who happens to be from 'outside the EU'.

Who knows, maybe the entry tests for English speaking, listening and 'Living in the UK' exams are a breeze for some people and the 7,000 pounds costs can easily be justified although my wife doesn't think so and neither do I.

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

..this thread is about the OP's visa requirements, not the perceived nationality of Border Force Officers.

Very true and correct and not correct of me to take the opportunity to vent frustrations.

The process is probably fair and I haven't tried it yet but it does look daunting to my wife. I digress.

9 hours ago, NightSky said:

I wouldn't describe myself as a 'nationalist' at all, maybe there is a terminology mix up there although all I want is for the country of my birth and citizenship to allow me to support and live peacefully with my own family and without having to 'jump though hoops' to simply live in that county where I was born with my legal spouse who happens to be from 'outside the EU'.

Who knows, maybe the entry tests for English speaking, listening and 'Living in the UK' exams are a breeze for some people and the 7,000 pounds costs can easily be justified although my wife doesn't think so and neither do I.

As I mentioned before , the UK has plenty of newly settled residents who have never been subjected to tests  on their knowledge  about UK history or its customs, cannot speak a word of English and yet manage to get along very well . So how can different rules be applied ? are the requirements variable ? Without doubt the UK nationalist is an easy target , traceable , easy to communicate with as he is known to the authorities and good for a few easy grand.  Not a level playing field for sure .

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, NightSky said:

it should be much easier for a UK national to bring his foreign wife to live in the UK and especially if that uk national has only ever paid money into the system rather than be a burden

I have posted my views on the financial requirement introduced in 2012 many times and am not going into detail again here, other than to repeat that I think it wrong that the government demands a couple where one is an immigrant has an income well above the level they expect a British couple to be able to survive on if relying on state aid. 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, NightSky said:

it gets to me when I goto the UK and I see non native Uk people managing immigration posts and all living over the UK but then my wife might not be able to pass all the tests to live with me

I refer you to theoldgit's post above in answer to this. 

I would like to ask you, though, how you would feel if you and your wife were to move to the UK and she was denied employment purely because of the colour of her skin!

15 hours ago, NightSky said:

The speaking and listening tests should be; the initial A1 test is very easy and if you wife can't pass it then one has to wonder how she communicates with you; is your Thai any good? 

She would then have 30 months to improve to B1 for her FLR, 30 months where she is using, one hopes, her English every day, and the same to improve to B2 for her ILR. She would also have 5 years to study for the LitUK test. Courses are available for all of these if required.

When Blair's government introduced fees for settlement visas and LTR applications which are way above cost and the principle of annual above inflation increases the Tories, then in opposition, vociferously objected. When they came to power they continued this policy; although 2019/20 is the first time when settlement and LTR fees have not been increased.

This is a nice little earner for the government and if asked the vast majority of taxpayers would not have a problem with it as it does not effect them.

5 hours ago, superal said:

As I mentioned before , the UK has plenty of newly settled residents who have never been subjected to tests  on their knowledge  about UK history or its customs, cannot speak a word of English and yet manage to get along very well . So how can different rules be applied ? are the requirements variable ? Without doubt the UK nationalist is an easy target , traceable , easy to communicate with as he is known to the authorities and good for a few easy grand.  Not a level playing field for sure .

Different rules are not applied. The rules and requirements are exactly the same for all those who wish to settle in the UK; regardless of the nationality or ethnicity of the family member they are applying to join.. 

Apart from the fact that nationals of Anglophone countries, e.g. Australia, do not need to pass the English tests, though they do need to pass the LitUK test.

It is precisely because of ghettoes of immigrants with little or no English that these tests were first introduced nearly 20 years ago in the first place!

I suggest that before commenting further you look up the difference between 'UK national' and 'UK nationalist!'

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:37 AM, superal said:

ou know as well as I do that the UK immigration annually is made up mostly of Asian continent folk who have family within the UK or asylum seekers etc and this leads to a easier visa application route

No, I do not know that because it is simply not true.

BTW, when did Thailand stop being in Asia?

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I would like to ask you, though, how you would feel if you and your wife were to move to the UK and she was denied employment purely because of the colour of her skin!

The speaking and listening tests should be; the initial A1 test is very easy and if you wife can't pass it then one has to wonder how she communicates with you; is your Thai any good? 

She would then have 30 months to improve to B1 for her FLR, 30 months where she is using, one hopes, her English every day, and the same to improve to B2 for her ILR. 

I would feel extremrly disappointed if my wife was discriminated on her skin colour. I have nothing against anyone of any colour getting a job anywhere. I could not care less if one is pink orange purple or blue. You are twisting things around. My point is that it should be easier than it is for me to bring my wife to the UK to live with me when I intend to support her.

As as for myself and my wife and communicating, my wife speaks some English and my THAI is excellent as I have been here decades thank you very much. What has that got to do with anything.

You make many assumptions.

My point is it should be easier than it is since my wife has no experience with tests and exams at all although she is a strong and good person and a great cook. She speaks 4 languages but never done exams. What’s your point?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived