A Couple of Final Visa Exempt Entries After Three Years on Non-O

I have pretty much been living in Thailand for the past three years on Non-Immigrant O visas (dependent child) with frequent trips out of Thailand. Normally leaving well inside the permitted 90 days stay.  However, my passport is quite full of Thai entry/exit stamps.  I am now returning to my home country for good but need to visit Thailand a couple more times to pack up my rental condo and ferry my stuff back home.

I don't want to waste money on a new Non-Immigrant O, so plan to enter on visa exempt. Will make sure I have 20k and a ticket home when I enter.

I know it's impossible to really predict, but does anyone anticipate problems.

Edited by mngmn

21 minutes ago, mngmn said:

I don't want to waste money on a new Non-Immigrant O, so plan to enter on visa exempt. Will make sure I have 20k and a ticket home when I enter.

Can you tell us more on your future travel pattern?  How often do you intend to come in over the next 12 months?

The first couple of VEs shouldn't be an issue.   But you might realize that non-imm might save you the hassle, even if you will be leaving permanently.  Especially if you have some family drama that crops up at the last minute related to your dependent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Can you tell us more on your future travel pattern?  How often do you intend to come in over the next 12 months?

Maybe holiday once a year on Tourist Visa.

4 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

The first couple of VEs shouldn't be an issue.   But you might realize that non-imm might save you the hassle, even if you will be leaving permanently.  Especially if you have some family drama that crops up at the last minute related to your dependent.

No dependents will be left in Thailand.

• Like 1

A follow up question.  I have two passports.  One has three non-O visa stickers and many Thai exit/entry stamps.  The other has no Thai stamps at all.  Which is the best to use?

My thinking is that if I use the passport with no stamps, and the computer matches it to my previous entries, I will need to produce the other passport to show the Non-Os and explain my situation.  All of which looks like I am trying to conceal something (which I am of course).  On the other hand if the IO simply flicks through the passport (normal approach) I should be good for a few visa exempt entries.

If I use the passport with all the stamps, there is a possibility that the IO will simply say 'you come Thailand too much'.  Once they go down this path pointing out the Non-Os in my passport, cash and return ticket will have no effect as it will have become an issue of 'face' for the IO.

Ideas?

10 hours ago, mngmn said:

A follow up question.  I have two passports.  One has three non-O visa stickers and many Thai exit/entry stamps.  The other has no Thai stamps at all.  Which is the best to use?

My thinking is that if I use the passport with no stamps, and the computer matches it to my previous entries, I will need to produce the other passport to show the Non-Os and explain my situation.  All of which looks like I am trying to conceal something (which I am of course).  On the other hand if the IO simply flicks through the passport (normal approach) I should be good for a few visa exempt entries.

If I use the passport with all the stamps, there is a possibility that the IO will simply say 'you come Thailand too much'.  Once they go down this path pointing out the Non-Os in my passport, cash and return ticket will have no effect as it will have become an issue of 'face' for the IO.

Ideas?

The odds of the passports not being linked and your history hidden from the IO are slim to none.

The passports cannot possibly be linked in the Thai Immigration system as one of them has never been used to enter Thailand.

Any connection would be based on a name + date of birth match in the system.

Agree that the passports will be linked if the IO takes steps to link them. But many IOs seem to prefer flicking through the passport over reading what's on their screen.

Edited by mngmn

On 3/17/2019 at 8:36 PM, elviajero said:

You’re unlikely to have any problems.

On what basis are you saying this?  I am now reading of people denied entry when all past entries to Thailand were with valid visas.

I entered at Swampy Ok on Sun but concerned about my Air asia flight into Don Muang on Wed.

50 minutes ago, mngmn said:

I am now reading of people denied entry when all past entries to Thailand were with valid visas.

Those were people with a history of entries using tourist visas and/or had a lot of visa exempt entries as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those were people with a history of entries using tourist visas and/or had a lot of visa exempt entries as well.

Thanks Joe - stressing about this as I need to pack up my condo.

34 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Thanks Joe - stressing about this as I need to pack up my condo.

Explaining that you are packing up and leaving Thailand, and taking your child with you, should make the troublesome IOs at unfriendly entry-points happy - as long as they believe you are really leaving for good. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mngmn said:
On 3/17/2019 at 12:36 PM, elviajero said:

You’re unlikely to have any problems.

On what basis are you saying this?  I am now reading of people denied entry when all past entries to Thailand were with valid visas.

I entered at Swampy Ok on Sun but concerned about my Air asia flight into Don Muang on Wed.

It’s visitors trying to live months/years in the country as a ‘tourist’ that are having problems.

It’s the time spent in the country rather than the number of entries that counts.

Having s copy of your child’s birth certificate would be useful if you’re asked about the reason for your visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Having s copy of your child’s birth certificate would be useful if you’re asked about the reason for your visit.

Good point.  I have an electronic copy but seems like IOs are not in the mood to look at anything that will challenge their decision such as cash or tickets out of Thailand.

6 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Good point.  I have an electronic copy but seems like IOs are not in the mood to look at anything that will challenge their decision such as cash or tickets out of Thailand.

Tickets out of the country are irrelevant beyond showing the intention to leave. You can’t be denied entry specifically for not having an onward flight. You could be denied for not having the requisite 10K, but in your case/history there is no underlying reason for them to enforce that.

As you don’t have a long (recent) history of tourist stays you shouldn’t have a problem.