BANGKOK 21 July 2019 06:54

Sorry if this has been discussed; couldn't find anything similar in the "business" forum. 

It seems like a 10% service fee has become pretty standard in family restaurants, at least around BKK.  My question is whether this money actually makes it to the people who earn it (servers & cooks) or is it just added profit for the owner?  If it goes to employees, then I see this in lieu of a tip.  Some of you work in the restaurant business or otherwise have connections -- can you shed light on this?

I did ask a server today at a nicer chain restaurant on Sukhumvit BKK.  He said the employees share 1/2 the money; the other 1/2 goes to the "boss" which I guess means the owner.  Is this standard? In the States, the wording is important... "service fee" can be taken by management; gratuity goes to the staff, and can actually be removed from the bill if you make an issue of it. Not sure if Thailand enjoys this degree of nuance.  TYIA! 

• Like 2

I have been told by Fuji, that the house takes 5 percent and gives 5 percent to the staff.  I don't like it.

• Like 1

And who gets the 90% (or should it be 50 / 50 ?)....

I live in Bangkok, western Bangkok, and never experience in service charge in my area of town.  However, when going over into "central, high rise, where tourists are everywhere  Bangkok" I've encountered several restaurants who cater to farangs/tourist that charge the 10% service charge.

I expect these restaurants assume the tourists are use to service charge/tips charge added to their bill as it common in many western/1st world countries...and the tourists don't complain about it.  Yeap, it's just extra profit for the business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

businessman quietly and quickly gave every waiter a personal tip in their pocket of 100Baht. 

If you want to give a tip to someone specific who served you then do exactly that - even in beer bars in Pattaya.......otherwise it gets shared out.

• Like 1

There's a highend veg restaurant in a touristy part of Chiang Mai that is upfront about the money going to the boss. They put a sign at the tables saying that the Service Charge is not a tip and that if you want to tip the staff you must leave money in addition to the 10% SC and 7% VAT.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I would imagine it is at the discretion of the owner, they may see it as paying for the staff and give nothing to the server but I doubt that all of it would go to the server.  I tip 10% for exceptional service. I believe most thais leave the coins only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

There's a highend veg restaurant in a touristy part of Chiang Mai that is upfront about the money going to the boss. They put a sign at the tables saying that the Service Charge is not a tip and that if you want to tip the staff you must leave money in addition to the 10% SC and 7% VAT.

I wonder how many return customers they have?

But I guess that depends to some extent on the cost of the dishes and the quality.

On the other hand, seems to me to be unwise for the boss to be so blatant about where the 10% service charge goes 7% VAT should be going direct to the revenue department, but I'm not sure if VAT is payable on restaurant meals? Anybody?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

It's a hidden tax on your food.  It's not ethical.  Did the "boss" provide a service?

have you ever been a business owner.... he rented the premises, bought all the provisions necessary, buys the food, supervises the prep, likely is the first one in and last to leave at night... etc etc etc...

It should not be hidden but usually is listed on the menu... 

Ethics? up for debate. 

I've also heard that only a portion 10% service charge goes to servers and other employees, and that portion varies by the establishment. 

Some places have menus with prices before VAT, some include VAT.

It seems like more and more places - and not just those catering to a tourist clientele. are adding the 10% service charge. I'd prefer the menu prices reflect the real price, so just jack it up 10%, but maybe there are some accounting/tax benefits to doing it this way?

I think VAT is applied after the service charge is added, so the net is ++ 17.7%.

I rarely leave a tip - other than in my local pub, definitely do not if the 10% service charge has been paid. 

• Like 1