Bank recommendation

Barley

Hello,

I have an account at Bangkok Bank, but I would like to open one more savings/term account at another bank.

It is for redundancy, because I don't like to rely on just one bank.

What bank could you recommend?

I am here on a retirement visa.

if interested or makes any difference to you, but hard to see such a bank going bust.  Although concentrated private ownership by such a person can lead to decision uncertainty with bank managers.

Jun 16, 2018 - The Crown Property Bureau transfers ownership of the royal assets after a ... Thailand's King Maha Vajiralongkorn has been granted full, personal ... worth over $500m in Siam Commercial Bank were transferred to the king, ...

9 hours ago, Barley said:

What is it that you particularly like about SCB and Kasikorn?

Are there certain branches that are more Farang friendly?

Can I use an ATM in Bangkok without fees with any of them?

You can with krungsi. Any ATM anywhere in TH is free 

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

SCB & CIMB seem to give the best fixed term rates... I have all my banking branches in Airport Plaza as it is centrally located and close to immigration if I ever need something for my extension quickly...

CIMB needs a Thai national to accompany us to the bank, so that's a problem for some.

18 hours ago, Barley said:

What is it that you particularly like about SCB and Kasikorn?

Are there certain branches that are more Farang friendly?

Can I use an ATM in Bangkok without fees with any of them?

I don't understand why you need redundancy for as Bangkok Bank is the largest bank in Thailand. It is safe and staff is probably the friendliest I've seen.

The only problem is that the fixed term rates are lower.

20 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I don't understand why you need redundancy for as Bangkok Bank is the largest bank in Thailand. It is safe and staff is probably the friendliest I've seen.

I thought that too until a couple of years ago they foisted a UnionPay Debit card on me...

I have BK Bank for incomings foreign transfers, Kasikorn for my day to day ATM/Visa and fixed deposits at CIMB... All branches are very friendly at Airport Plaza...

Funds can be transferred between them instantly easily and free via their Apps...

Btw If you want to open an a Kasikorn account at Airport Plaza do it at thier top floor office... The other office in the basement is always crowded where the one on the top floor never has a wait...

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I thought that too until a couple of years ago they foisted a UnionPay Debit card on me...

I have BK Bank for incomings foreign transfers, Kasikorn for my day to day ATM/Visa and fixed deposits at CIMB... All branches are very friendly at Airport Plaza...

Funds can be transferred between them instantly easily and free via their Apps...

Btw If you want to open an a Kasikorn account at Airport Plaza do it at thier top floor office... The other office in the basement is always crowded where the one on the top floor never has a wait...

Now I regret opening an account at SCB, is Kasikorn's fixed deposit rates as competitive?

I get 1.4% for 6 months, 1.55% for 9 months at SCB but some of the staff there are quite grumpy....looking to change banks when my FD reached maturity.

I checked out SCB and Krungthai today at Kad Suan Kaew.

I didn't go into Krungthai, because there was a long line of people.

I went into SCB to get their rates: Savings 0.5, Fixed 3m 0.9, 6m 1.15, 9m 1.3, 12m 1.4.

25TBH for using ATM outside of CM.

I wish they'd speak better English. They also require a rental agreement valid for more than one year (if I understood them correctly).

To clarify: I am not looking for a second bank because I am unhappy with Bangkok Bank or because I doubt their stability.

I just always like to have a second option in case one bank changes policies or I have any problems with them. It's just the way I do things.

8 hours ago, Barley said:

I checked out SCB and Krungthai today at Kad Suan Kaew.

I went into SCB to get their rates: Savings 0.5, Fixed 3m 0.9, 6m 1.15, 9m 1.3, 12m 1.4.

SCB branch there is  giving you the old rates (wrong rates).

The new rates are 3m 1.25, 6m 1.4, 9m 1.55, 12m 1.65

In terms of service, Bangkok Bank is still better than SCB.

You  might try Kasikorn instead of SCB based on recommendations here.

16 hours ago, sharktooth said:

For Foreign Currency I use Bangkok Bank. For Local Currency Kasikorn. Kasikorn’s online and phone banking are excellent.

Totally agree about Kasikorn banks' online system being good and you can also apply for an on-line credit card through them as well so if you are into online purchasing on Lazada, AliExpress, etc.  you can use it where C.O.D. is not available.

2 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Totally agree about Kasikorn banks' online system being good and you can also apply for an on-line credit card through them as well so if you are into online purchasing on Lazada, AliExpress, etc.  you can use it where C.O.D. is not available.

I use my regular Kasikorn Visa Debit to buy things on Lazada... It just requires a sms code for transaction approval...

I recall you must initiate the Debit card to use on the internet ny going to any Kasikorn ATM and activate E Banking... Works great

I asked yesterday if my new BB Mastercard Debit card, which I just switched to from Union Pay, works outside of Thailand.

Both employees I asked answered: Well in theory it should, but we have not received any reports about it yet.

I thought that was a really adorable answer. :)

On 3/18/2019 at 7:44 PM, EricTh said:

I get 1.4% for 6 months, 1.55% for 9 months at SCB but some of the staff there are quite grumpy....looking to change banks when my FD reached maturity.

I was just in BK Nank today and they had a 9 month rate posted at 1.625%

I am thinking that - based upon your recommendations - Kasikorn may be a good fit for me.

I wonder if you know:

1. Can I initiate and cancel fixed term deposits online (because at BB it seems not possible)

2. What is a good branch close to the NW part of old city (Central Airport is too far for me)

1 hour ago, Barley said:

I am thinking that - based upon your recommendations - Kasikorn may be a good fit for me.

I wonder if you know:

1. Can I initiate and cancel fixed term deposits online (because at BB it seems not possible)

2. What is a good branch close to the NW part of old city (Central Airport is too far for me)

NW part would be Maya. Not sure whether they have a branch at Kad Suan Kaew.

5 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I was just in BK Nank today and they had a 9 month rate posted at 1.625%

This 9 months is a one-time special promotion, the other months rates are much lower. 3m - 1.00, 6 m - 1.25, 12 m - 1.5.

Anyway, the other problem with Bangkok Bank is that they open up different bank books for different terms which might be a problem if you want a letter for immigration. 

I put some money in shorter terms just in case of emergency.

13 minutes ago, Barley said:

So Kasikorn would have one book for different terms?

And can I manage the fixed term deposits through their app/website or do I have to come in person as I need to do with Bangkok Bank?

Not sure about Kasikorn bcos I am talking about SCB.

I managed the deposits through their website for deposits only but have to go to their banks for withdrawals/uplift into savings account. Strange but true.

Archived