Very bad case scenario -- what if you're blacklisted but still have assets in Thailand?

Jingthing

Serious question.

So for whatever reason (whether you deserve it or not) you end up deported and blacklisted but you still have assets in Thailand.

Bank accounts

Condos

Cars

What have you

Then what?

I assume for bank accounts you can try to drain them with your ATM but that may or may not fully work, and if it doesn't it's not as if you can fly back to fix things at the banks. 

Condos, cars, etc.

Is there anything you can do if you haven't made any plans in advance? What if you don't even have your ownership documents because they're back in Thailand? 

I happen to have a copy of my condo ownership documents in the U.S. Would that help at all?

Maybe different for those married to a Thai, more options for them?

Assuming no such connection, is there anything you can do in preparation for such a bad scenario in advance?

Like visit a lawyer and sign a conditional power of attorney to sell your stuff in case off ...? Conditional on you needing the service but how would you sign for that out of Thailand? I reckon you would have to really, really trust a lawyer here to sign a power of attorney without conditions. Even with such a power of attorney is that a possible solution? I'm assuming if so you'd still get taken to the cleaners by the lawyer, but better than nothing.

Any other ideas on this issue?
Any personal experiences?

Any things you've heard from others who had experience with this?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to add that I want to ask people to NOT post here saying such things can't happen and don't happen. You are wrong.

I just heard of a case of a man deported and blacklisted for a ONE DAY overstay. Not at the airport of course where it would have been OK. 

It can happen. So just deal with that reality, and respond to this question if you know something, and don't if you don't. 

Jingie, I think your concerns are genuine so not about to take the piss.

However you now have perhaps 3 threads running about worst case scenario. Why not just worry about yourself rather than others. Get you s### together and you can stay in los. Take a chill pill

Just now, KarlS said:

Provide verifiable detail 

No. You're trying to hijack this topic. I'm not playing your game. 

The topic is about what happens when people are blacklisted with assets.

People are blacklisted. Do you accept that fact? If not, you're being ridiculous.

Obviously some of the people that are blacklisted have major assets. 

So what happens to the assets of that unfortunate group of people? Is there ANYTHING they can do, either before or after?

1 minute ago, KarlS said:

I am attempting to do no such thing.

Your refusal to supply any detail about this alleged deportation/blacklisting for a ONE day overstay tells members all they need to know. 

You're being absurd. The topic isn't about all the reasons that people get blacklisted. People get blacklisted. That is a FACT. Even the obnoxious hecklers can't deny that. It's obvious that some of the people that are blacklisted have assets left in Thailand. 

The TOPIC here is about that. If nobody has any answers, fine. Heckling and hijacking is not an answer. 

i know a thai i trust, i would phone her and tell her to sell the

bike back to the shop, pack and bring my clothes, empty my bank account, and take the rest for her self.

ed, i would also ask her to see if i can chose destination myself somehow

Well. there is something that you can try to do. You must have someone that you can trust in thailand and give him a power of attorney. You can find those power of attorney in a pre filled module in book shops...
If he is a thai citizen it would be better I guess.
For the car you can write all the forms for the transfer including copy of your passport and give it to your friend as well. You must be more specific, by the way.

yep, print power of attorney forms, fill them properly for each separate uses, sign them and courrier them to someone you trust.

they can sell your condo, sell your bike.

any amount can be bought in bitcoin with a little bit of a fee, you cash wherever you want

failing that: anyone with enough time and your debit card can drain your accounts slowly but surely

Good grief,

Put this one to rest. Thailand has a very specific set of rules for outbound transfers.  If anyone wants to know them, go to their individual bank and ask. It will be in Thai. Get it translated. 

Many Thai banks are just going to refuse.  Get the money out of an ATM and carry it out. 

Only Bangkok Bank appears to have a policy that conforms with the law. 

If you are deported,  your outta luck.  Best advice? Don't have too much money on deposit or don't get deported. If you get deported,  don't cry. You put your money in a banking system that is not geared to protect or return your hard earned money.

There is no answer to this question except everyone is responsible for their own financial decisions and problems if they don't understand the rules.  Again, don't get deported....  

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Out-of-Thailand

20190317_113839.jpg

This is so case by case and situation depending that answers are difficult give , :mad:

is person arrested and in detention awaiting deportation , or free to prepare to leave , example 7 days to leave given or not , have your mobile , debit cards , access to your high needed documents , weekend or week days concerning for contacts your embassy , do you have 1 or more bank accounts (this for dividing your money by internal transfers )  , did you put limits for ATM / ev.transfers to maximum or not , for ATM withdraw , is your phone set for international roaming (OTP..receiving )

The list can be endless , only already for the bank emptying reason .???? And having enough cash at hand to arrange your safety parachute 

Best to go to country closest to Thailand to stay ,example Cambodia to get most easy contact for helping hand , example for trustful (?!) person contact come over to that place to arrange so much things

First of all how much you are prepared for such a disaster case? Only already for all those above things ? 

For car bike condo furnishures etc more questions to fill in 

PS About condo …. that's the most safe thing , he wont run / stolen .., away as listed and in your name & can be handled …, but remember any one helping you knows you are in a vulnerable position ….(think, think….Ouch ! )

, car bike , furniture are liquid thing , can disappear easy  

Power of attorney with someone you trust.

The someone you trust is the sticking point.

If a lifetime ban were to happen you'd be gambling the trust. You'd have to be one unlucky bsratad for all things to go against you and lose a condo for example, and just to keep up the line of harrassment to the op. You're ugly and I hate you. Haha just kidding. Ignore the crap mate. The TV moderators are sleeping now. They'll sort out the harrassment late morning.

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

yep, print power of attorney forms, fill them properly for each separate uses, sign them and courrier them to someone you trust.

they can sell your condo, sell your bike.

any amount can be bought in bitcoin with a little bit of a fee, you cash wherever you want

failing that: anyone with enough time and your debit card can drain your accounts slowly but surely

I see. 

So if you don't have anyone you can trust like that, then what? Also for condos. Nothing?

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

If your blacklisted for life you have 3 choices...

1...Fight it with mega expensive lawyer

2...Sneak in and sell every thing

3..Give it all to the wife or Mia-noy.....

I'm not aware of any report of anyone successfully fighting a blacklisting. 

Sneaking in to sell something like a condo sounds like you'd be asking to be sent to prison. 

Give it to fill in the blank. OK. But I'm asking whether there is any way to actually recover assets for the owner, if blacklisted.

Also to add even a 5 year blacklist would have similar results. So you're going to leave a condo unclaimed for 5 years? Seems like it wouldn't be your condo anymore after 5 years, but that's another question. 

Ok firstly 5he odds of getting blacklisted are about the same as a lightning strike. This is proven by the fact none of us know anybody in that situation except for one person, JT who heard it in a bar with typical exageration after the tale has been told 50 times

However. To stay on topic I would send my son or a friend from Australia with power of attorney to get the ball rolling with real estate agents or yearly rental. Just got to pony up expenses of course

actually wouldn't even need power of attorney until the condo sale. 

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you invested in a Condo, car, have a bank account and get arrested for 1 day overstay, you deserve whatever follows.

It's not a matter of deserves or not. Again, people are deported and blacklisted for various reasons. When it happens and they have assets left in Thailand, that is a problem. I started this thread to ask if there may be proactive things people can do to protect their assets if such a thing happens to them. 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Ok firstly 5he odds of getting blacklisted are about the same as a lightning strike. This is proven by the fact none of us know anybody in that situation except for one person, JT who heard it in a bar with typical exageration after the tale has been told 50 times

However. To stay on topic I would send my son or a friend from Australia with power of attorney to get the ball rolling with real estate agents or yearly rental. Just got to pony up expenses of course

Do you really think some people aren't deported and blacklisted? Wow! I'm speechless. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Do you really think some people aren't deported and blacklisted? Wow! I'm speechless. 

How many people do you know personally that have been blacklisted?

Why even ask the question, do you plan to get blacklisted?

Just now, Jingthing said:

No. I believe in lightning strikes so  Im a believer.  What are the odds? Most are Nigerians or Cambodians..again none of us know anybody who is a farang . 

I refuse to engage with people that refuse to acknowledge that there is immigration detention, deportation and blacklisting that happens here. It would be like giving dignity to flat earthers.

That part is a given.

The question is about people that happens to that still have assets stuck in Thailand. 

I don't know about blacklisting, but I left my pickup behind for a friend to use when I repatriated last year.  Decided after I arrived in the USA to just sign it over to her family (it's 20+ years old).  She took all the documents- including a signed POA, the title, and a signed copy of my passport to the DLT (or wherever you go to do that) and they would not do the transfer because "my visa is no longer valid".  I haven't investigated since I don't really care if they own it or I do.  But it can be convoluted...

If you have rental properties get with an agent. They can handle your properties while you’re gone and wire payments to you elsewhere.

Thai bank.... I wouldn’t keep too much in there. Keep enough, but don’t screw yourself.

You can get removed from a blacklist for around 1 million baht. Check with lawyers in Bangkok should that happen.

If this concerns you, plan for the worst and hope for the best. 

Archived