Very bad case scenario -- what if you're blacklisted but still have assets in Thailand?

Jingthing

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I have to laugh at all these doom and gloom topics.

The rules are clear - for now.

If and when they change - change along with them - adapt or move.

you too, will one day be that immobile that you cant just move on a whim like a denial of stay, before your time is up

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

but after witnessing never-ending changes to visa, on nearly a yearly basis for well over a decade,

I am one of those still lucky, so far.

Permanently in Thailand since 2000.

Yearly visa based on retirement; extension based on income in home country. 

So far nothing changed for me and many others : no specific amount on a Thai bankbook, no need to transfer monthly a particular amount.

4 embassies decided to stop the issue of a L.o.I., Immigration changed then their requirements in order to somehow please those who were "stranded in the rain" by their embassy. 

The Danish embassy, in the meantime, is again issue a L.o.I. to their citizens under certain conditions. 

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

I am one of those still lucky, so far.

Permanently in Thailand since 2000.

Yearly visa based on retirement; extension based on income in home country. 

So far nothing changed for me and many others : no specific amount on a Thai bankbook, no need to transfer monthly a particular amount.

4 embassies decided to stop the issue of a L.o.I., Immigration changed then their requirements in order to somehow please those who were "stranded in the rain" by their embassy. 

The Danish embassy, in the meantime, is again issue a L.o.I. to their citizens under certain conditions. 

yes, it has been previously been focused on visas below age 50, now the axe has come to 50+ visas, right on time i say,

perfectly timed with me becoming 50 !

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Interest rates in the West have been lousy for the past decade, and a FD here may well slightly improve on them.

But the old adage about walking away still holds true. It's not about poor investment returns, but much more about the risk of losing everything. 

I was referring to my managed fund, not a term deposit. 

I'm not going to change my portfolio, or liquidate some assets, just because Thai immigration say so.

I am single, do not work here, do not own property here, and do not have a business here.  I'll leave my fund and assets as is.  They have been serving me well, paying well over a bank in returns.  It funds a good lifestyle in this region. 

Vietnam will profit from the new visa laws, but I will return to Thailand as often as tourist visas allow me to do so. 

I will maintain control over my finances and assets, not Thai immigration, who are forcing foreigners to capitalize Thai banks.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Question of priorities.

Some prefer the tranquility of mind ( no worries so far with the 800000 on a bankbook and observe the rules attached to) than obtaining a few thousand more interest. 

You make a good point, and I agree.  I would simply say, each to their own.

I have never really had tranquility of mind here, and I consider myself to be less financially and emotionally exposed than most here.  It was mainly due to the corruption here, and foreigners basically having a target on their back for extortion, and the instability of Government and visa laws, which we are seeing now.       

Actually, for me, tranquility of mind come in the fact I can just up and leave tomorrow, leaving no more behind than a motor scooter, a big TV, and some minor furnishings.  This provided the tranquility of mind for me, but I can see how others would feel more stabilty in owning a property and a lasting relationship.

As mentioned in another post, I also gain tranquility of mind knowing I control my finances, not Thai immigration, and I will not be used to capitalize Thai banks. 

We laugh at the newbie with ATM on his forehead, being lead around by his new bar girl girlfriend, yet, when it comes to visas, one is criticized when refusing to be manipulated, yet, those people criticizing, do not view themselves as an ATM for the Thai economy.  

I am happy with the decision I have made, and look forward to the variety. 

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

The chances are about 90% you will not be able to liquidate your holding and be able to funnel the money out of Thailand.

I agree.

Many people bought into property here, but didn't think that the only thing that allows them to live in their property is a sticker in their passport, which can be revoked at any time.  I am not saying this of the OP, just in general.

Now, they have issues. 

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

tranquility of mind is my no1 priority,

but after witnessing never-ending changes to visa, on nearly a yearly basis for well over a decade,

and reading of denied/expelled every week on tvf,

that just isnt going to happen without citizenship

or at least permanent residency

The other option is, you arrange your affairs to live lite in Thailand, so you can go at a moments notice, and you chose an alternative place to go to, which most people call their Plan B.

This is what I have done.

I will view Vietnam as my primary place of residence in the future, and Thailand will be my extended holiday visits, through tourist visas.

At any point Thailand deny entry, or refuse a visa, no big deal, head back to Vietnam until I can come back to Thailand.    

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Indeed, each of us has certainly a good, own, reason to leave or stay. 

I'm actually doing a combination of leaving and staying. 

From what I read, many others will be doing the same, so I expect some tightening of tourist visa laws in the future. 

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The other option is, you arrange your affairs to live lite in Thailand, so you can go at a moments notice, and you chose an alternative place to go to, which most people call their Plan B.

This is what I have done.

I will view Vietnam as my primary place of residence in the future, and Thailand will be my extended holiday visits, through tourist visas.

At any point Thailand deny entry, or refuse a visa, no big deal, head back to Vietnam until I can come back to Thailand.    

my problem is its difficult to relocate due to disability

10 hours ago, kekalot said:

yep, print power of attorney forms, fill them properly for each separate uses, sign them and courrier them to someone you trust.

they can sell your condo, sell your bike.

any amount can be bought in bitcoin with a little bit of a fee, you cash wherever you want

failing that: anyone with enough time and your debit card can drain your accounts slowly but surely

I’ve done power of attorney forms in Canada and both parties had to be there with lawyer. Don’t know about Thailand but assume it would be the same.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I want to add that I want to ask people to NOT post here saying such things can't happen and don't happen. You are wrong.

I just heard of a case of a man deported and blacklisted for a ONE DAY overstay. Not at the airport of course where it would have been OK. 

It can happen. So just deal with that reality, and respond to this question if you know something, and don't if you don't. 

I would think that anyone with those sorts of assets in Thailand would be able to avoid overstaying.   I guess it could happen but the person would need to be extremely careless.

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

I’ve done power of attorney forms in Canada and both parties had to be there with lawyer. Don’t know about Thailand but assume it would be the same.

A Thai embassy in any country should / could , do that to , I don't think blacklisting is extended to Thai embassy ground  :thumbsup:

You can use power of attorney forms for almost everything here. Banks, government issues, etc. Never had an issue with it and you don't need to be present.

Of course, it requires a party on site that you can trust with it.

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and this is why we have rule number one for living in Thailand.

Never bring more into the country than you are willing to lose.

Sage, hackneyed, Thaivisa-member's "advice"...but only if someone is that stupid that they're considering doing something that gets them blacklisted by Immigration, otherwise that applies to any country.

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Never bring more into the country than you are willing to lose.

I always heard that phrase as "never risk more than you're willing to lose" regarding such things as a business or lady in Thailand.     

The current climate as far as immigration is concerned makes your phrase more appropriate  now than  in the past.

14 minutes ago, ancharee said:

Can't wait till tomorrows episode  '' Bad case scenario number 3 or is it 4 '' 

It is anyway a good wake-up call to consider your options …. as they are adaptable to selective minor worry case scenarios too  ...

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I want to add that I want to ask people to NOT post here saying such things can't happen and don't happen. You are wrong.

I just heard of a case of a man deported and blacklisted for a ONE DAY overstay. Not at the airport of course where it would have been OK. 

It can happen. So just deal with that reality, and respond to this question if you know something, and don't if you don't. 

had the same concerns and posted a similar topic couple weeks ago, no answers received.....

it appears all is perfect for the majority of the people here, nobody will be arrested/deported, you're being paranoid

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

had the same concerns and posted a similar topic couple weeks ago, no answers received.....

it appears all is perfect for the majority of the people here, nobody will be arrested/deported, you're being paranoid

it is like the "Brexit "case ….. putting the head in the sand ostrich mode …. most time those vulnerable to such does not wish to hear about it !

I find you can get good tips out of it , I guess some of those never heared about "murphy laws "... example some may even not having their Thai sim card open for roaming (needed for OTP password outside Thailand receiving ) 

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't know about blacklisting, but I left my pickup behind for a friend to use when I repatriated last year.  Decided after I arrived in the USA to just sign it over to her family (it's 20+ years old).  She took all the documents- including a signed POA, the title, and a signed copy of my passport to the DLT (or wherever you go to do that) and they would not do the transfer because "my visa is no longer valid".  I haven't investigated since I don't really care if they own it or I do.  But it can be convoluted...

We were given an old motorbike by a friend,same  problem,visa not longer valid.We got it sorted in the end.

They signed new papers backdated to when the visa was still valid and the allowed it to pass.They were not very happy to do it but they did in the end.The bike was worth very little and was around 30 years old.I do not think ownership really matters for a Thai citizen in this case but you are off the hook either way.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

could you expand on that?

According to what I read here on T.V., the Danish embassy is again issuing a L.o.I. providing it can be proofed that the funds comes from a state pension. 

6 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

According to what I read here on T.V., the Danish embassy is again issuing a L.o.I. providing it can be proofed that the funds comes from a state pension. 

News to the Danish Embassy   :omfg:

Archived