Very bad case scenario -- what if you're blacklisted but still have assets in Thailand?

Jingthing

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's a real case. 

It's a genuine concern and I am sure it has happened to many falangs over the years.

I think it's a good idea to bring the matter to the attention of the readers and can't see why you have been criticised for doing so.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, david555 said:

A Thai embassy in any country should / could , do that to , I don't think blacklisting is extended to Thai embassy ground  :thumbsup:

That's an interesting idea.

Trying to do a power of attorney that may be honored in Thailand at a Thai embassy or consulate. That would seem at least asking about for anyone in such a situation. However, I kind of doubt that the staff at such places would be enthusiastic about offering any help at all to people that have been blacklisted from Thailand. 

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I always heard that phrase as "never risk more than you're willing to lose" regarding such things as a business or lady in Thailand.     

The current climate as far as immigration is concerned makes your phrase more appropriate  now than  in the past.

Yes, absolutely. 

There really has been a sea change in immigration enforcement here.

I think all expats and prospective expats should take note. 

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

had the same concerns and posted a similar topic couple weeks ago, no answers received.....

it appears all is perfect for the majority of the people here, nobody will be arrested/deported, you're being paranoid

Thank you for a dose of reality.

It's not paranoia if the threats and risks are REAL.

I guess I missed your topic, or forgot about it.

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

It's a genuine concern and I am sure it has happened to many falangs over the years.

I think it's a good idea to bring the matter to the attention of the readers and can't see why you have been criticised for doing so.

You must be new here? Barely one in four (ten?) posts are worthwhile.  The rest are just bitter old men and young know it alls.  Better read this quick as the mods will delete.

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure, of course, but I wouldn't be so crass as to label a child an asset. 

For me, the insecurity in relationships has been the major reason for leaving.  All the visa changes have simply served to highlight the fact that Thailand will never guarantee more than a year at a time with those I love.  Luckily I have never accumulated many assets in Thailand.

I would recommend BritManToo gets his son a visa for his home country where he will have the right to live with his son forever.

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The tricky part is that if I do end up staying in Thailand much longer I would probably be better off keeping it (assuming do very bad case scenarios). So it would be better to see closer to actually leaving, but there is something to be said for selling anyway, to lower the stress of being venerable to losing so much. 

As you well know the days on market is a key factor in  the process of selling a place in the USA.      Is that a factor in the Thai real estate market as well?

How long do you think it would take to sell your condo?

P.S.    Anyone know if the "blacklist" is a matter of public record or if there even is a public record?

5 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I think if I was "Blacklisted" I would appoint one of my family or friends, Power of Attorney, and buy them a ticket to Thailand to go and dispose of my property.

I am not sure that this would not work, as the POA has to be signed by both parties and notarized in Thailand, with the relevant stamps attached, most Thai Embassies are not authorized to do this.

7 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

As you well know the days on market is a key factor in  the process of selling a place in the USA.      Is that a factor in the Thai real estate market as well?

How long do you think it would take to sell your condo?

P.S.    Anyone know if the "blacklist" is a matter of public record or if there even is a public record?

My understanding of the current "used" condo market in Pattaya is that you have to price very, very low to sell at all quickly. List at what you think is "fair" and it's more like waiting years than days, unless you have something very special and/or you're very lucky.

4 minutes ago, namatjira said:

and what about if everything turns out alright ?

oh, never actually thought about that.....

No no no it can't be alright. Sell everything and prepare for the worst.

I am considering only keeping enough fuel (maybe 50 bahts worth) a day in my car in case I'm deported and blacklisted.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, absolutely. 

There really has been a sea change in immigration enforcement here.

I think all expats and prospective expats should take note. 

I'll tell you if I owned a condo here what i'd do is create as many threads as I could to paint a black picture of the new immigration rules and send as many expats out of Thailand as I could and convince as many others not to come to Thailand thereby driving down my investment to rock bottom and making it impossible for me to recoup my initial investment or comply with the new visa cash rules.  

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'll tell you if I owned a condo here what i'd do is create as many threads as I could to paint a black picture of the new immigration rules and send as many expats out of Thailand as I could and convince as many others not to come to Thailand thereby driving down my investment to rock bottom and making it impossible for me to recoup my initial investment or comply with the new visa cash rules.  

You do you.
Really, dude, your post is off the wall. 

You're suggesting that one member on thaivisa.com can materially change an entire real estate market.

That's absurd. 

The market conditions are already what they are (resale condo market in Pattaya very bad for sellers) and the visa rules changes from Thai immigration are what they are too (we have no control over that). 

Of course the visa rule changes are going to throw additional cold water on the market in tourism areas. 

You know when I post a rave restaurant review on this site, guess what happens? Are there lines out the door? Nope. Almost nothing happens. 

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The dogs a protestant and not keen on Vietnamese takeaways.

Best wait and see what happens in your case then, I'd suggest considering a gofundme page for your dog after your deportation.

Hell maybe start now so you can raise enough to ensure you fly biz class and your dog is well taken care of.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Jingie, I think your concerns are genuine so not about to take the piss.

However you now have perhaps 3 threads running about worst case scenario. Why not just worry about yourself rather than others. Get you s### together and you can stay in los. Take a chill pill

This is a good topic, I think JT is making a good point and could save someone some distress.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and this is why we have rule number one for living in Thailand.

Never bring more into the country than you are willing to lose.

Yup and also maybe try extra hard to follow the immigration rules and the local laws, and stay out of trouble so you don’t get blacklisted in the first place.  Some people just have a hard time avoiding trouble.  It’s not that hard to stay out of trouble at least know the basic rules before coming here, and have a plan a,b, and c in case something unexpected does go wrong.  

The only reason why I don’t move my entire savings over here is in case the exchange rate goes really bad so I don’t lose everything.  Instead I just do my monthly wire transfers to my Thai bank account of at least half of my monthly pension payments every month on payday. I never transfer more than 100,000 Baht at a time each month I get paid.  Because I don’t want to lose thousands of dollars if the economy suddenly tanks and the exchange rates go crazy or something like that.  You never know what could happen.

But it ain’t hard to stay out of trouble and avoid being blacklisted in the first place.  I get sh;t happens but if you are getting blacklisted chances are you made a big mistake somewhere along the line.   

I am not sure that people get deported back to their country for a one day overstay per se. I have read many reports on TV about criminals who are sent back to their home country on the pretext of an actual overstay, when in fact they are wanted at home for far more serious offences. It is a means to an end and probably the quickest way to get someone out and home.

Or am I wrong?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Are you sure that she isn't living under the bridge?

That's the next book.  She can't live above and below the bridge.  In the 2nd series, she weaves a sling out of 20baht notes given to her by passersby walking from one country to another.  She amasses a huge set of living items, including furniture dragged by kind travelers.  She builds a tiny home with a basement in the middle of the bridge.  After discovering free energy, she is able to power small appliances.  She's quite happy these days.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds very wise but not really on topic. The topic here is about people that have major assets in Thailand and those people are all vulnerable if their immigration status here goes south. 

I answered this in another post.

I would liquidate and live lite. 

Another member mentioned "tranquility of mind."  I can only see things getting harder here, and with more bureaucracy, so, for me, living lite give me that tranquility of mind. 

In basic terms, "the more you own, the more you have to worry about" and Thailand is not a great place for foreigners to own anything. 

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I answered this in another post.

I would liquidate and live lite. 

Another member mentioned "tranquility of mind."  I can only see things getting harder here, and with more bureaucracy, so, for me, living lite give me that tranquility of mind. 

In basic terms, "the more you own, the more you have to worry about" and Thailand is not a great place for foreigners to own anything. 

Been here for 20 years and saved a ton of money.  Think I can spend a bit?  I was thinking of a new crash pad.  My old one is getting a bit worn. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I will comment on the Cambodia and Vietnam idea as a tactic people can use if they feel their immigration status will soon be in jeopardy. That is do proactively before any potential issues with deportation, etc. That would be even still owning the large assets here, set up residence in Cambodia based on a one year visa or Vietnam (which may just be based on three months, then visa runs, depending) as a base and then being close enough to Thailand actively work on liquidating and exporting your Thailand assets. A problem I see with that is if that take you a long time, then you would have the problem with Thailand blocking you for that. Also this issue, and this is down in the weeds, but it's a sincere practical question.

Suppose you did that and were working on liquidating your Thailand assets via trips to Thailand from Cambodia or Vietnam (or Malaysia, etc. for that matter). If you own a condo, wouldn't it be a RED FLAG to put your own condo address on the landing form? In the sense that it would look like you're living in Thailand on 30 day stamps or tourist visas? So what to do? Put down a hotel and then move to your condo, but then you would need to report your new residence address to immigration yourself, right? Because immigration would see the hotel report and then nothing if you don't. 

You only have to visa run once every 12 months in Vietnam.  Their 3 month visas can be extended inside Vietnam, 3 times, so that's your 1 year.  I have been told that their 1 year visas will be available again soon, so that makes it even easier.

I would be liquidating now, then check out your Plan B location, then stay in Thailand as long as you can, and if / when that day comes you are out, you know where you are going, and can up and leave at short notice. 

You can take with you, so why not leave some cash to your family, upon your demise, rather than a problematic condo in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You only have to visa run once every 12 months in Vietnam.  Their 3 month visas can be extended inside Vietnam, 3 times, so that's your 1 year.  I have been told that their 1 year visas will be available again soon, so that makes it even easier.

I would be liquidating now, then check out your Plan B location, then stay in Thailand as long as you can, and if / when that day comes you are out, you know where you are going, and can up and leave at short notice. 

You can take with you, so why not leave some cash to your family, upon your demise, rather than a problematic condo in Thailand?

Not sure your info is current / accurate.

Aren't the one year visas only for Americans and even then, not always offered?
Also I never heard of extending 3 months ones in Vietnam. I have heard travel is needed every time. 

Can you post a link with current info about it being possible to (LEGALLY) extend 3 months ones. Perhaps you are talking about paying people to walk your passport over the border.

That sounds crazy. 

In any case, Cambodia is more definite.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Aren't the one year visas only for Americans and even then, not always offered?

I believe you are correct.  Now you know why we Americans have an affinity for the Israelis as we are both in a way "the chosen people."  My treaty of amity corporation here is proof of that.

Archived