Very bad case scenario -- what if you're blacklisted but still have assets in Thailand?

Jingthing

The OP is being heavily criticized, but if I had 10 baht for every time I hear the saying, "the Thai Government would never do that, they would lose too much money" then I would be a very rich man.

Today, it's somewhat of a major tweak to visa laws, but to those criticizing the OP, what about if tomorrow they do a serious crackdown on foreign property owners using Thai nominees?  Yes, that elephant in the room.  Or, condo blocks with more than 49% foreign owners.  Like you can be sure your whole block in under 50%.

I bet many posters wouldn't be so smug about their lot in Thailand then. 

Now tell me again how, "the Thai Government would never do that, they would lose too much money."  ????

The fact is, foreigners have very little rights here, and have no input into public policy, and whilst the TV real estate forum would be on fire if such a crackdown occurred, just like the visa laws, there would be nothing that could be done about it, and many would lose out.  

Remember, it's someone else today, but it could be you tomorrow.   

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure your info is current / accurate.

Aren't the one year visas only for Americans and even then, not always offered?
Also I never heard of extending 3 months ones in Vietnam. I have heard travel is needed every time. 

Can you post a link with current info about it being possible to (LEGALLY) extend 3 months ones. Perhaps you are talking about paying people to walk your passport over the border.

That sounds crazy. 

In any case, Cambodia is more definite.

No.  They can be extended 3 times, inside Vietnam, which is your 1 year.  All legal.  You can even buy a brand new visa inside Vietnam. 

Here's one online agent from the first page of Google.  There are many.  This one's expensive.  There are cheaper. 

https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/services/view/vietnam-visa-extension-and-renewal.html

No, the 1 year multi business visa was on offer to anyone.  It's not being offered at the moment, but I have been told they will be back on soon.   

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The OP is being heavily criticized, but if I had 10 baht for every time I hear the saying, "the Thai Government would never do that, they would lose too much money" then I would be a very rich man.

Today, it's somewhat of a major tweak to visa laws, but to those criticizing the OP, what about if tomorrow they do a serious crackdown on foreign property owners using Thai nominees?  Yes, that elephant in the room.  Or, condo blocks with more than 49% foreign owners.  Like you can be sure your whole block in under 50%.

Now tell me again how, "the Thai Government would never do that, they would lose too much money."  ????

The fact is, foreigners have very little rights here, and have no input into public policy, and whilst the TV real estate forum would be on fire if such a crackdown occurred, just like the visa laws, there would be nothing that could be done about it, and many would lose out.  

Exactly!

There are always the SMUG ones.

Don't worry, the hecklers and trolls don't bother me at all.

I've learned how to deal with that kind of noise.

Heck, probably most of them don't even live in Thailand!

Cheers and thanks.

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You should hook up with JT - a laugh a minute....

24 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I believe you are correct.  Now you know why we Americans have an affinity for the Israelis as we are both in a way "the chosen people."  My treaty of amity corporation here is proof of that.

Wrong.  They were on offer to anyone, but are still being exclusively offered to Americans, but other nationalities had to pay more.

What a great deal Americans get. 

A 12 month multi for for $185USD.  Perhaps now, some can see how the Thai's are really taking the p*ss out of foreigners for longer visas.

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/vietnam-visa-cost.html

59 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

That's the next book.  She can't live above and below the bridge.  In the 2nd series, she weaves a sling out of 20baht notes given to her by passersby walking from one country to another.  She amasses a huge set of living items, including furniture dragged by kind travelers.  She builds a tiny home with a basement in the middle of the bridge.  After discovering free energy, she is able to power small appliances.  She's quite happy these days.

Doesn't she miss her condo in Jomtien?

I didn't read all the posts -- only the first few pages, but I what I thought was one of the more practical suggestions was ignored by the OP, although that person commented on the other ideas presented in the same post.

The suggestion was to spend 1 million baht at Bkk lawyer (to use the corrupt nature of the system) to get the blacklist removed. Perhaps that idea was discussed again, but I wasn't going to read 11 pages to see. 

The OP was angry about people wanting to discuss reasons for blacklisting rather that sticking purely to his or her concern, so I was surprised that the lawyer idea was completely ignored without any comment whatsoever when that was directly addressing the original question.  

1 hour ago, champers said:

I am not sure that people get deported back to their country for a one day overstay per se. I have read many reports on TV about criminals who are sent back to their home country on the pretext of an actual overstay, when in fact they are wanted at home for far more serious offences. It is a means to an end and probably the quickest way to get someone out and home.

Or am I wrong?

Not sure? I'm absolutely certain that no one has been deported and blacklisted for one day overstay. I've never heard such nonsense.

Not sure why any one would invest in Thai real estate without a Thai wife?

The OP brings up some good points and if for whatever reason you were to get blacklisted, having a plan would certainly be beneficial.

3 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Not sure why any one would invest in Thai real estate without a Thai wife?

The OP brings up some good points and if for whatever reason you were to get blacklisted, having a plan would certainly be beneficial.

Actually it doesn't have to be a blacklisting.  Any change that made staying in Thailand untenable would be enough.  For some the new 800k/400k rules are enough. 

Imagine that you owned a condominium in Bangkok and had, say 2 million baht in a Thai bank. Then you get deported and blacklisted because of an honest mistake, a misunderstanding of the rules, or because you are misinformed by an official who doesn't understand the rules. What would happen to those assets? I think it's fair to say that expecting your money to still be in the bank and your condominium to still be empty 5,6,7 years later, would be a bit naive.

Imagine that you owned a condominium in Bangkok and had, say 2 million baht in a Thai bank. Then you get deported and blacklisted because of an honest mistake, a misunderstanding of the rules, or because you are misinformed by an official who doesn't understand the rules. What would happen to those assets? I think it's fair to say that expecting your money to still be in the bank and your condominium to still be empty 5,6,7 years later, would be a bit naive.

So after 5, 6 or 7 years you came back and would find someone living in your condo?

To be blacklisted for that long would have to be more than a 'slight mistake ', do you not think?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I would not be surprised at all.

It would surprise me more that someone with a Bangkok condo and 2 millions can not empty his account by withdraw by ATM, as I can access my KK accounts in my European country by ATM….. set your limit high enough and your Thai sim to accept roaming outside Thailand to receive OTP passwords from bank for eventual confirmation ,...and about condo …. keep paying to management for condo what you need to pay

A simple Blacklisting is not freezing your bank account   

8 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

My Thai ATM card didn't work in Singapore, doubt very much it would work in EU.

I used it in my country taking money with my Kasikorn debit card,  

On 3/17/2019 at 6:36 PM, CaptainJack said:

Good grief,

Put this one to rest. Thailand has a very specific set of rules for outbound transfers.  If anyone wants to know them, go to their individual bank and ask. It will be in Thai. Get it translated. 

Many Thai banks are just going to refuse.  Get the money out of an ATM and carry it out. 

Only Bangkok Bank appears to have a policy that conforms with the law. 

If you are deported,  your outta luck.  Best advice? Don't have too much money on deposit or don't get deported. If you get deported,  don't cry. You put your money in a banking system that is not geared to protect or return your hard earned money.

There is no answer to this question except everyone is responsible for their own financial decisions and problems if they don't understand the rules.  Again, don't get deported....  

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Out-of-Thailand

20190317_113839.jpg

Foreighn investors paradise, I am sure. Why have Bill Gates and Bezos not discovered it yet?

1 minute ago, swissie said:

Foreighn investors paradise, I am sure. Why have Bill Gates and Bezos not discovered it yet?

Or a proof you transferred that money  in to Thailand ....than you can transfer out … but not from your pc/laptop , unless you have that clearance for that to do , but at office with foreign transfer letter (F.E.T.) from bank they shall make the transfer for you

23 hours ago, david555 said:

This is so case by case and situation depending that answers are difficult give , :mad:

is person arrested and in detention awaiting deportation , or free to prepare to leave , example 7 days to leave given or not , have your mobile , debit cards , access to your high needed documents , weekend or week days concerning for contacts your embassy , do you have 1 or more bank accounts (this for dividing your money by internal transfers )  , did you put limits for ATM / ev.transfers to maximum or not , for ATM withdraw , is your phone set for international roaming (OTP..receiving )

The list can be endless , only already for the bank emptying reason .???? And having enough cash at hand to arrange your safety parachute 

Best to go to country closest to Thailand to stay ,example Cambodia to get most easy contact for helping hand , example for trustful (?!) person contact come over to that place to arrange so much things

First of all how much you are prepared for such a disaster case? Only already for all those above things ? 

For car bike condo furnishures etc more questions to fill in 

PS About condo …. that's the most safe thing , he wont run / stolen .., away as listed and in your name & can be handled …, but remember any one helping you knows you are in a vulnerable position ….(think, think….Ouch ! )

, car bike , furniture are liquid thing , can disappear easy  

Quote: "PS About condo …. that's the most safe thing , he wont run / stolen .., away as listed and in your name & can be handled …"

True, a condo won't run away. It's "immobile". Can't pack it into a suitcase. And (as OP has already mentioned), selling a Condo for a "fair" price in today's Pattaya can take a long time.
- Plus, I occasionally still run into Farang Condo Owners that seem not to be aware of the fact that in order to "repatriate" the proceeds of a Condo sale, one must be able to prove that the funds to purchase the Condo originated from overseas.

The moral of the story: There are many advantages in owning real-estate. But compared to other Investement Vehicules, R/E markets are often "illiquid". As is the case in Pattaya.

So, investors having certain doubts that the "Thai-Welcome-Culture" will further detoriate, may want to start disengaging from the Thai R/E market.
Before someone yells "fire", and everybody rushes for the fire-exit at the same time.

5 minutes ago, swissie said:

Quote: "PS About condo …. that's the most safe thing , he wont run / stolen .., away as listed and in your name & can be handled …"

True, a condo won't run away. It's "immobile". Can't pack it into a suitcase. And (as OP has already mentioned), selling a Condo for a "fair" price in today's Pattaya can take a long time.
- Plus, I occasionally still run into Farang Condo Owners that seem not to be aware of the fact that in order to "repatriate" the proceeds of a Condo sale, one must be able to prove that the funds to purchase the Condo originated from overseas.

The moral of the story: There are many advantages in owning real-estate. But compared to other Investement Vehicules, R/E markets are often "illiquid". As is the case in Pattaya.

So, investors having certain doubts that the "Thai-Welcome-Culture" will further detoriate, may want to start disengaging from the Thai R/E market.
Before someone yells "fire", and everybody rushes for the fire-exit at the same time.

this should already be controlled before when the sale was  done at registration land office with a F.E.T. form , ….unless dodgy doc. where presented ,and of course in such fire sales you shall loose, but when" backing eggs you must break the shell..."

On 3/17/2019 at 5:35 PM, NCC1701A said:

and this is why we have rule number one for living in Thailand.

Never bring more into the country than you are willing to lose.

That's probably the most quoted saying of Farangs in recent years. Easily said.

- But have not ever met a Farang that has walked away from a 4 million mansion with a song in his heart and with a "may pen rai" on his lips. Especially not, if they calculate how much "entertainement" the 4 mill would have bought in Pattaya. Not to speak of how much "somtam" this would have bought.

14 minutes ago, swissie said:

That's probably the most quoted saying of Farangs in recent years. Easily said.

- But have not ever met a Farang that has walked away from a 4 million mansion with a song in his heart and with a "may pen rai" on his lips. Especially not, if they calculate how much "entertainement" the 4 mill would have bought in Pattaya. Not to speak of how much "somtam" this would have bought.

If he had followed the law and bought with foreign exchanged money ,F.E.T. form, but in his foreign name …, he could wake away with the money ,condition if he made a tempting pricing ….

But yeah those sideways using ….you know ...

Wait until the company form comes under scrutiny ….. oh yes  of course ….Thailand shall never do that …. I forgot ...:whistling:

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

this should already be controlled before when the sale was  done at registration land office with a F.E.T. form , ….unless dodgy doc. where presented ,and of course in such fire sales you shall loose, but when" backing eggs you must break the shell..."

When I bought 1 Rai in the sticks (for ex-wifey) nobody cared for such technicalities in the Thai-Pampa. If I would have mentioned something like F.E.T. at the Land Office, they would have thought that this is merely an abbreviation for some strange sexual-practises to be performend on the property. :cheesy:

3 minutes ago, swissie said:

When I bought 1 Rai in the sticks (for ex-wifey) nobody cared for such technicalities in the Thai-Pampa. If I would have mentioned something like F.E.T. at the Land Office, they would have thought that this is merely an abbreviation for some strange sexual-practises to be performend on the property. :cheesy:

Excuse me , you did not buy , you gave the money to buy , so for a Thai no questions asked . Farang can not buy land ..:cheesy: That was the reason why nothing asked !!

How long are you in Thailand , not knowing this ??

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Excuse me , you did not buy , you gave the money to buy , so for a Thai no questions asked . Farang can not buy land ..:cheesy: That was the reason why nothing asked !!

How long are you in Thailand , not knowing this ??

Well, the "transaction" took place (includig payement) at the Land Office. Me taking 1000 Bht Notes out of the shoe-box. All 400 family membes present. I never got so many "wai's" by so many Thais before at the same time. It was clear to everyone present "who" is paying for it, including the Land-Officers plus Village-Chief.

I suppose it depends if one makes a R/E transaction in Pattaya or in Nakhon-Nowhere.

But we should not go too far off Topic. OP and Mod's may not like it.

Archived