BANGKOK 19 April 2019 15:51
webfact

A new visa paperwork problem for some expats?

A new visa paperwork problem for some expats?

By The Thaiger

thai-visa-exemption.jpg

We get occasional emails from expats relating their various problems with Immigration as they apply for new visas or renewals. The common thread is that applying for, and renewing visas, is becoming unnecessarily complicated.

This one seems complex. Names have been withheld for privacy.

“I am a British citizen and my baby’s visas were renewed without an issue, but the Thai immigration has caused problems for my wife and wants me to prove that I am married to my Chinese wife so that I can renew her dependent visa for a third year.

The man’s wife and baby are on Dependent visas tied to his ‘Retirement’ visa.

Our marriage certificate is in Chinese so in order to get Immigration to acknowledge our marriage, she now has to go back to China to have our marriage certificate notarised and translated, first in her local home area, then sent to China’s foreign affairs office in Beijing for their stamp, THEN to the Thai embassy in Shanghai for their stamp, THEN to Bangkok for the Chinese embassy’s stamp.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/a-new-visa-paperwork-problem-for-some-expats

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-18

The notary thing is true because I had to do it for my wife but only in her home town, it didn't need to go elsewhere.  As for the Chinese embassy in Bangkok, that sounds suss.

We have the same issue, First to the legal department in Holland to certify it`s a legal document than to the Thai embassy in Holland to certify the stamps are from the legal department and than to Jomtien to get this dependent extension.

We used 10 years only the International marriage document but that`s not possible anymore.    

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Immigration requirements for all retirees have got tougher to meet.

You either have to meet them, or leave.

Whether they make sense, or not, is beside the point. Thailand has the absolute right to set, modify, or change the requirements.

Nothing any foreigner can do about it except comply, or leave.

I fully appreciate, and endorse, your comment.   However, I feel confident that many will still find a compromise solution is still be achievable despite Big Jokes efforts.   

Let me add that BJ's efforts do have my support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Yes Mr DPKANKAN, it is sad, but, what do you propose to do about it?

Besides reacting with negative emojis to posts that "state the obvious"?

Here's a thought. How about stating what you think is wrong in my posts?

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

56 minutes ago, DavoTheGun said:

I pretty isolated case by the sound of it.

Friend of mine is having to do similar for his THAI wife. He has to fly to the UK though as she was previously married to an English guy and Thai Immigration want proof they are legally married to proceed his extension of stay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1