A new visa paperwork problem for some expats?

webfact

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm pretty sure the British Embassy in Bangkok will certify his marriage certificate.

That is not the problem. Thai Immigration want it notarized in the UK and stamped by the Thai Embassy in London, confirmed by a trip to Chaeng Wattana head office.

He was told that this was a recent change and what could previously have been done in Thailand now, for whatever reason, needs to be done back in the UK.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Essentially, the financial rules for retirement extensions hasn't really changed, it's still 800k in the bank or 65k per month.

I thought the rules for a retirement extension had changed in that you now had to keep 400k of the 800k in the bank for the whole year? Or was that just misinformation on Thai Visa?

On 3/18/2019 at 8:53 AM, Olmate said:

What you should do is ... ask an agent, IO prefered method!

This might be a whole lot easier. Thailand's "world class" bureaucracy can usually be circumvented under the table. Things are getting ridiculous though, there are other places to go.....

20 hours ago, stevenl said:

You do realise that for Chinese visa requirementsare tougher than for westerners? 

All this moaning about the Chinese having it easy is simply nonsense.

Not sure how e Visa and on line applications plus dedicated arrival and departure kiosks is harder.

Plus fee waiver recently. 

Long term I can't comment on. 

But waiver and 60 days TR look surprisingly more easy at present. 

45 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Not sure how e Visa and on line applications plus dedicated arrival and departure kiosks is harder.

Plus fee waiver recently. 

Long term I can't comment on. 

But waiver and 60 days TR look surprisingly more easy at present. 

No visa exempt entry but visa on arrival, tourist visa same requirements but much more difficult to obtain.

22 hours ago, stevenl said:

You do realise that for Chinese visa requirementsare tougher than for westerners? 

All this moaning about the Chinese having it easy is simply nonsense.

Check the facts. Their numbers are way up... more than before. Tours sure. But now that Thailand is questioning how deep their ties will be with China in he future... we will see.

20 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Righto. You go ahead and complain vociferously and let's see how far it gets you.....

Well it will get me no where... but at least they will have heard me? Well... I can hope they will. What I was saying s that we should not simply lay down and play dead. We still have the right and therefore the ability to complain and tel off our own Embassy personnel. Well at least we Americans and Canadians and Australians can. the UK... Brexit is taking up way too much of their time I dare say.

1 hour ago, iamariva1957 said:

Check the facts. Their numbers are way up... more than before. Tours sure. But now that Thailand is questioning how deep their ties will be with China in he future... we will see.

I know the numbers are up. But visa requirements are more difficult for them.

Having spent many years planning to retire to Thailand I was disappointed not to feel welcome there by a multitude of actions by the government which I viewed as ANTI-FARANG!!!!

Now my Thai wife and I are settled back in the UK we realise how much better off we are financially.

My wife will visit family in Thailand for 2 weeks annually and I will give it a permanent miss in future.

Make all the rules you like but remember we have voting rights - OUR FEET!!!!

I had to have marriage cert. for my British wife sent back to the UK, translated into to Thai, then notarised by the British embassy in UK, then by the Thai embassy in the UK, then by the Thai Foreign Affairs dept. in BKK. This is the procedure, I'm not sure how yours is any different (apart from China being difficult and making you use local and Shanghai consular offices). This is not new procedure, as far as I am aware. I looked at it in 2017 and it was like this. 

I had to have marriage cert. for my British wife sent back to the UK, translated into to Thai, then notarised by the British embassy in UK, then by the Thai embassy in the UK, then by the Thai Foreign Affairs dept. in BKK. This is the procedure, I'm not sure how yours is any different (apart from China being difficult and making you use local and Shanghai consular offices). This is not new procedure, as far as I am aware. I looked at it in 2017 and it was like this. 
There is no "British Embassy" in the UK. Documents are legalised at the Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no "British Embassy" in the UK. Documents are legalised at the Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pedant. ????

In the words of the great Python: "if your going to split hairs, I'm going to piss off."

If you wish to register a marriage in Thailand, you need a declaration from your embassy to say you are not currently married.

If you are married, the same declaration should say so - is that not sufficient?

I would apply for this document, if your embassy has no proof then just get married in Thailand ???? bigamy is legal if it's the same woman ????

Archived