For Thailand’s sake, let’s move beyond Thaksin

webfact

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

I disagree that that was the problem, unless all governments arising from a coup were/are also corrupt.

At least with elected government they could be voted out. Having said that (and ignoring post coup governments) Thaksin and the TRT were the only party since 1932 to have lasted a full 4 year term and then be re-elected.

The courts disbanded the TRT, it was replaced by another party (the PPP) which also won and election before it was disbanded and replaced by the PTP which was also disbanded.

That tells me that although he was corrupt more Thais preferred Thaksin's parties than any other party.

It will be interesting to see how the election turns out this weekend.

My wife's family voted for Thaksin, until I told them the real story behind his crooked past and showed them a few reports on the internet, then they quickly changed their minds.  Ignorance is not democracy.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, daboyz1 said:

My wife is dragging me out to isaan this weekend so she can vote. Whoever wins, it will devolve into the same old thing. Protests and riots in Bangkok followed by another coup. Just let the military run the country. Look at the Philippines or Malaysia. Both political nightmares.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did you protest when your wife dragged you out? I guess you just allowed yourself to be told. Having live in Malaysia for more than a decade, Malaysian will never be told what to do especially from the military. There will be blood on the streets if the military stage a coup. By the way, the military is much more discipline in their roles as defender against external threats. Polar opposite of the military here. 

13 hours ago, cookieqw said:

well said, like most of the post's i have read they all mostly have credence, but  but,   bad is bad,  you either abide by the law or you do not.  their are no different levels

A lot depends on who writes the law and who (if anyone) enforces that law and if it (really) applies to ALL the Thai people.

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My wife's family voted for Thaksin, until I told them the real story behind his crooked past and showed them a few reports on the internet, then they quickly changed their minds.  Ignorance is not democracy.  

But they still had the right to vote for whoever they (and not you) wanted

When Thaksin was in power directly or indirectly he never had any political parties dissolved or had political opponents jailed unlike the current lot, nor did he ever have or wielded something like S44.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But they still had the right to vote for whoever they (and not you) wanted

When Thaksin was in power directly or indirectly he never had any political parties dissolved or had political opponents jailed unlike the current lot, nor did he ever have or wielded something like S44.

No he didn't, he just ripped off the country, by avoiding billions in tax, bribed officials and then bribed the rural village people.  Thats not democracy, that's cynical manipulation.  

Just now, Pilotman said:

No he didn't, he just ripped off the country, by avoiding billions in tax, bribed officials and then bribed the rural village people.  Thats not democracy, that's cynical manipulation.  

I'd rather be bribed than shot!

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Unlike the current government, who simply stole the country and gave themselves an amnesty for ALL past, present and future actions.

Do you that is Democracy?

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'd rather be bribed than shot!

Haha, actually, as I hate all politicians with a vengeance, I have no problem with the Military being in power here.  It really makes little difference to normal daily life for me and my family.  I just wish they would sort out the idiot cops, then I would be very satisfied. 

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Unlike the current government, who simply stole the country and gave themselves an amnesty for ALL past, present and future actions.

Do you that is Democracy?

No it isn't but it's not that bad either. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

Haha, actually, as I hate all politicians with a vengeance, I have no problem with the Military being in power here.  It really makes little difference to normal daily life for me and my family.  I just wish they would sort out the idiot cops, then I would be very satisfied. 

Sadly very many Thais would disagree with you.

32 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You could have told them about the junta corruption so they don’t have to make a binary choice. Anyway I hope they don’t give you false pretense when they in their polling booth. Will be your ignorance if they vote otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You could have told them about the junta corruption so they don’t have to make a binary choice. Anyway I hope they don’t give you false pretense when they in their polling booth. Will be your ignorance if they vote otherwise. 

I don't actually care much what they do, it's their country not mine.  I just couldn't put up with them spouting at how great Thaksin was without them knowing some more facts about the man.  

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I don't actually care much what they do, it's their country not mine.  I just couldn't put up with them spouting at how great Thaksin was without them knowing some more facts about the man.  

You be surprised that they know more than you. Many of us think we understand the Thais to be disappointed. Anyway you chose to deny them the truth about the junta illegal seizure of power and the corruption and is your prerogative to chose side. It may be their country not us but we sure want the Thais to live well and free and not exploited and dominated by the military since 1932. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You be surprised that they know more than you. Many of us think we understand the Thais to be disappointed. Anyway you chose to deny them the truth about the junta illegal seizure of power and the corruption and is your prerogative to chose side. It may be their country not us but we sure want the Thais to live well and free and not exploited and dominated by the military since 1932. 

an exaggeration my friend, but you are welcome to your own opinion. 

a tad off topic but a certain A hole of the first degree recently inherited 30 billion bht on top of his other few personal billions , way way more than enough to treat every god dammed village to free medical help / village clinic / remove dirt tracks for concrete lanes and mega free  piss up to respect there loyalty to the bloke that left it all behind . Rant over !

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

And what do you think the current government is doing?

Think of the Watchman and the terrible punishment he received, How about the corruption at the army park down Hua Hin way.

I can look and find lots more but I can't be bothered.

To quote you from your post.

That's not democracy, that's cynical manipulation.  

No it isn't but it's not that bad either. 

You think that stealing a country is not that bad?

Really?

And you really think they didn't know? They are just being polite to you, they know a hell of a lot more about politics in their own country than you...

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

And you really think they didn't know? They are just being polite to you, they know a hell of a lot more about politics in their own country than you...

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

haha good one.  Clearly , you don't know them. 

Archived