Under pressure, Britain's May scrambles to win support for Brexit deal

webfact

47 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I have no more idea why the 28% didn't vote than you do Vogie.  We are all p*ssing in the wind and guessing.  I was just being facetious. 

I'm currently disenfranchised (15 year Malarky) but am (or was!) Tory leaning and want shot of the EU.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I flew back from Thailand SPECIFICALLY to vote. Don Valley is a poor area in decline. The poor sops backed the wrong horse. I hope their continued pain is relieved soon. The CONs won't help 

They helped already by effecting the Referendum.........................

(ballsed it up after that, mind..)

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

And it's only Monday ????

Do not despair ….as only Thursday the E.U decides about any extension IFF that ever become asked , and on top you have more than 10 days before D day 29 March ….. a sea of time  isn't ? :whistling:  :cheesy:

33 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Meanwhile solicitor general, Robert Buckland says Parliament night have to prorogue - ie pack up and start again in another session 

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status...74014988804097

17:02

Solicitor general says UK is in 'major constitutional crisis'

This is from Robert Buckland, the solicitor general, on Bercow saying he might not allow a repeat vote on the Brexit deal. Buckland told BBC News:

We are in a major constitutional crisis here.

There are ways around this - a prorogation of parliament and a new session. We are talking about hours to March 29. Frankly we could have done without this.

Now we have this ruling to deal with, it is clearly going to require a lot of very fast but very deep thought in the hours ahead.

He (John Bercow) told the Commons that parliamentary conventions dating back to 1604 meant MPs could not be asked to vote on precisely the same subject twice.

It was stated last week that there was reference in "Erskine May" about repeating the same vote... 

But hell I ain't paying £400 for a book (Erskine May: Parliamentary Practice), Seems John Bercow had to queue a few days at the commons library to get his hands on it.

Seems he should not have allowed thee vote last week.

43 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Yes only a few hours of Parliamentary time left, all we need now is for the Breexiteers to run off with the "Mace" and we will crash out by default.

Now THAT is the sort of lateral thinking that got us through two world wars.....

6 hours ago, bomber said:

britain is not a place to do business.

I know this will disappoint you, but the UK is still the best place to do business. 

The Best Countries For Business 2019: U.K. On Top, U.S. Down

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2018/12/19/the-best-countries-for-business-2019-u-s-down-u-k-on-top/

https://www.forbes.com/best-countries-for-business/list/

Rank Name GDP Growth GDP per Capita Trade Balance/GDP Population
united-kingdom_100x100.jpg #1 United Kingdom 1.7% $39,700 -3.8% 65.1 M
sweden_100x100.jpg #2 Sweden 2.1% $53,400 3.3% 10 M
hong-kong_100x100.jpg #3 Hong Kong 3.8% $46,200 4.3% 7.2 M
netherlands_100x100.jpg #4 Netherlands 2.9% $48,200 10.5% 17.2 M
new-zealand_100x100.jpg #5 New Zealand 3% $42,900 -2.7% 4.5 M

9 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Now THAT is the sort of lateral thinking that got us through two world wars.....

there's barely anybody alive who fought in the war,what happened 75-80 years ago has no bearing on today's mess,when is it going to sink in.

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I know this will disappoint you, but the UK is still the best place to do business. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2018/12/19/the-best-countries-for-business-2019-u-s-down-u-k-on-top/

seems they are a planning for a soft soft brexit or more likely a no brexit,that is not the findings under a crash out,this is more of interest to me????

International Living's Top 10 Places To Retire Abroad In 2018.html

48 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

nissan,honda,toyota,dyson and JRMs investment company that relocated to dublin would disagree,companies with goods at sea at the moment who dont even know what taxes or going to be applied in 11-12 days might also disagree,as for forbes,i prefer to read this

International Living's Top 10 Places To Retire Abroad In 2018.html

The prime minister's official spokesman said Mr Bercow "did not warn us of the contents of the statement or indeed the fact that he was making one"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47614074

What utter rubbish, they must have known that it was his job to uphold the rules, I recall "Erskine May" being quoted that you can not vote on the same matter twice unless has been substantially changed, in interviews at least once last week and again yesterday so she must have some pretty incompetent advisers around her would be putting it politely. 

41 minutes ago, Basil B said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47614074

What utter rubbish, they must have known that it was his job to uphold the rules, I recall "Erskine May" being quoted that you can not vote on the same matter twice unless has been substantially changed, in interviews at least once last week and again yesterday so she must have some pretty incompetent advisers around her would be putting it politely. 

Nothing new there. Just look at the 2017 GE manifesto. And Olly of course!

3 hours ago, bomber said:

there's barely anybody alive who fought in the war,what happened 75-80 years ago has no bearing on today's mess,when is it going to sink in.

Nature's genetic bequest, dear boy. Want a race to the mace? ????

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

anyone know what that means?

His full name is "The spoonie bomber" , think that hes saying that hes beaten you at something , as you got one start in your avatar , think that he means that hes got a head full of stars and not just one 

10 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It’s about compromise, not cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

You are looking at a two year extension ... more dead Brexiteers, more new pro EU voters, and a vote that you will absolutely lose.

I’m sure little kids in the future will engage in some celebration every 29 March, like Guy Fawkes night, except it will be the day when a motley crew of half wits scuppered a result they’ve been campaigning for all their political lives for. 

“Euro for the Mogg” ... will be the cry.

How bitter you are. More brexiteers dead. What a charmer you are. If you are not threatening to punch people in the face you are wanting them dead.

I am glad you are such an advocate for compromise.????

Have you ever thought there will be more anti EU. Of course not you are so full of compromise you wouldn't be able to see that.

14 hours ago, Thairealist said:

I have it on equally good information, that the 28% did in fact support Brexit.

What the hell?  I am not saying they wanted Remain, I am saying they did not care enough to vote and so are not being disrespected should their MP not support what the majority who voted did vote for, is that really difficult to understand?

Without doubt Brexit has reached an impasse . Many of the problems are linked to the  brief given by TM to her Brexit negotiators confirmed by the resignation of three of them and of course the EU stance not wanting to lose the 13 billion euro annual UK contribution and thus attempting to halt the process and setting an example to other EU members who maybe  thinking of leaving .

The Brexit vote divided the country for various reasons and until now many votes were based on getting back control of the UK by the UK plus immigration figures which  had created a housing , hospital , employment and schooling  crisis.

Now after all the shambles of the last 2 years of negotiations we have something of reality to vote on in the way of TMs deal . But even that deal is not a firm reliable contract and  most will reject it so why all the pussy footing by the HOCs .  IMHO it is either a new referendum based on whats on the table or simply a   no deal . There is little doubt in my mind that the current deal will be defeated as the UK will be in a worse position ( has no say in EU future policies etc ) than if it had remained . All or nothing ,   I say .

The Irish  " back stop " ?  has to be reinstated , sorted ?  or continue without it and defy the EU and then what ?      Finally , why was the " no deal " card taken off the table ? it was our strongest tool .

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

How bitter you are. More brexiteers dead. What a charmer you are. If you are not threatening to punch people in the face you are wanting them dead.

I am glad you are such an advocate for compromise.????

Have you ever thought there will be more anti EU. Of course not you are so full of compromise you wouldn't be able to see that.

There is no evidence that there are more anti EU people, only that millions of Brexit voters have died and millions more are now old enough to vote and are predominantly Remain supporters.  If you have some evidence that there are more anti-EU people today then present it.

Archived