Thai customs duties

cbc

Want to send a friend a couple of gifts in Thailand.I would definitely not want them to pay,any custom and excise duties,should there be any charges.Doe anyone know the allowable amount can be sent taxes exempt for a thai person.

Any helpful info greatly appreciated.Oh will be shipping via Fed Ex.

Depends entirely on the type of goods and value.

There is a "customs calculator" in the "post office" section at the top of this forum.

Make sure you do not use any form of courier service.(if possible) as that will ensure duty/taxes and other "fees".

Complete pot luck. I have paid 30% before on items I already owned that were sent over from England. However, my wife's friend in America recently sent her over some trainers that were valued at 8000b, there was no import duty for some reason. 

And you thought immigration was problematic?  I would rather go sit at the police station for a while than have to go to Customs...Police are usually a lot more reasonable.  "we can send them back, or you can go to jail," they once told a friend about his box of cigars from HKG...paying wasnt even an option (on that day).

Edited by moontang

7 hours ago, cbc said:

Any helpful info greatly appreciated.Oh will be shipping via Fed Ex.

Do NOT (that's not) ship by FedEx. Tax and duties are guaranteed with any of the couriers.

Regular tracked post will do the job nicely and likely get through unmolested.

What do you intend sending?

Do NOT (that's not) ship by FedEx. Tax and duties are guaranteed with any of the couriers.

Regular tracked post will do the job nicely and likely get through unmolested.

What do you intend sending?

Sorry if I should have started a new thread.

I just ordered some cool clothing from a retailer in Japan and they are sending it EMS.

Now someone told me to expect some big Import Duties and/or Taxes.

I will look at the Post Office Sticky as a suggestion above but what other insight can you give me?
Should I try and cancel the shipment?
Its about THB 7,000 (including item cost, insurance & EMS).

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Can’t figure out how to edit.

If I am just here as a Tourist and going back to Canada in 20 days then do I still have to pay Import Duty or can I show I am transiting with Items purchased from Japan and shipped by EMS here?

Is EMS a Courier?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

EMS stands a good chance of getting through.

Clothing can be a bit of a lottery on duty / tax. 

I too have some clothing coming from China EMS, it's the first time I've tried so I have an open mind as to exactly what will be billed. 30% + VAT is possible. 

Hello and thanks Crossy.

I suppose I will just have to keep my fingers crossed, eh?

But if they insist on 30% then can I just refuse the package without getting in trouble with Thai Customs? Meanwhile I will explain to merchant and notify it may get sent back and to resend to me in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just one remark about Thai customs, they are not stupid and they do check things at times.

Today i received a Sennheiser MB Pro 2 UC, the seller from the UK had put 50 GBP on it as a value, customs opened it saw wat it was and put the price at 7600 baht correct price.

So i was slapped with 10% over 7600 + 7% on the whole amount. So in total i paid a little under 1.400 bt in taxes.

So putting lower prices on stuff does not always work.

• Like 1

So i was slapped with 10% over 7600 + 7% on the whole amount. So in total i paid a little under 1.400 bt in taxes.

I do not quite understand this formula.

Is 10% for electronics or would clothing also be 10% ?

And then the 7% is VAT?

Would the VAT be refundable at the airport?

Also did you ship with EMS?

Sorry this is all very new to me.

Clothing probably 30%

Suppose what you buy is 5000+1000 shipping (they will tax on 6000)

6000 * 30 % = 1800

(5000+1000+1800) x 7% = 1800 (just coincidence the numbers are like this)

So then you have to pay 1800+1800 = 3600

So the vat is calculated on the the whole amount plus tax.

I did not use EMS just regular post. They check everything, regular post has a lower chance of getting stung but it still gets stung at times.

Thanks for that lesson on Import Duty.

I think I want to decline delivery and have it returned to the merchant in Japan and they can re-send it to Canada.

Is there a penalty from Thailand Customs Office for declining to pay Import Duty and having package returned?

I should have done my homework before I ordered ;-(

Thanks Again

I would think unlikely to get a refund.. If you had refused it would be returned to sender. If you then wanted it sent elsewhere you would need to pay shipping again to that destination.

Thanks Charlie,

I framed the question poorly.

I wish to return this item to the sender (a clothing retailer in Japan) because it doesn’t fit. I am prepared to pay all return shipping costs.

I paid a rather large amount of Import Duty and VAT.

Would I have any recourse to get a refund of that Import Duty and VAT from the Customs Department?

Thanks

I dont 'know" but would think it unlikely.

You would need to approach the Customs dept directly and ask your question. Generally Thai (Govt.dept/stores etc) are excellent in taking the money but returning it is a whole other story.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

I dont 'know" but would think it unlikely.

You would need to approach the Customs dept directly and ask your question. Generally Thai (Govt.dept/stores etc) are excellent in taking the money but returning it is a whole other story.

Do let us know how you get on.

Charlie,

I paid the Import Duty at the Post Office.

Where is the Customs Dept? Google shows one on Khlong Thui.

Sound right?

Thailand is new to me and a bit tricky to navigate in many ways...Lol

Thanks