23-day (accidental) overstay

Hi y'all,

I just found out that I've currently overstayed my visa for 23 days. Even though this is my 4th (not consequential) tourist visa, for some reason I thought that the date listed in the "valid until" field was the date I needed to leave the country by — dumb, I know ????

What is the best way to resolve this? Should I go to the immigration office right away to pay the fine or should I pay the fine at the airport when I depart the country? (I was planning to do this on March 23) If I go the immigration, will I be expected to leave the country immediately or will I be given some time to prepare?

Would appreciate some advice here. Thanks!

Edited by 93mlnmiles

23 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Leave via the airport in Bangkok, as soon as possible. You already racked up 12000 on the fine, it'll be another 2500 if you wait until 23rd. You'll get an overstay stamp, but as it's under 90 days no blacklisting. 

This. also, if you want to come back to Thailand for a few days (although you should leave by air) return using a land crossing (but not Poipet/Aranyaprathet). Returning immediately by air after an overstay involves some risk of a denied entry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

This. also, if you want to come back to Thailand for a few days (although you should leave by air) return using a land crossing (but not Poipet/Aranyaprathet). Returning immediately by air after an overstay involves some risk of a denied entry.

Nah, no plans to return for at least another month or two.

Thanks for the input so far everybody. A question: what is the difference between me leaving ASAP (say, tomorrow) and on the 23rd? Aside from the larger total fine on the 23rd and the risk of being caught while out and about in BKK, I get that. I won't get a ban unless the overstay is 90 days or longer. Asking because I have a place paid up until the 23rd, so the daily fine doesn't make a lot of difference to me — I'd have to pay the same 500 or more for accommodation in the country I'm going to next.

11 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Leave today. Leave by air. Do not go to the immigration office.

Fly to Vientiane. Re-enter by land at Nong Khai. Fly back to Bangkok from Udon Thani (if you are returning to Bangkok).

I'm on my 4th tourist visa, do you think they'll let me back in visa-exempt at Nong Khai right after I pay this huge-ass overstay fine?

(I do get visa exemptions as a national of a country that has in place a relevant agreement with Thailand)

Edited by 93mlnmiles

1 hour ago, 93mlnmiles said:

What is the best way to resolve this?

If I were you (which I won't be) I will buy a ticket to Malaysia immediately and go to the airport today, pay the fine and leave. Waiting another five days is risky, I think. Yes you can try a land border entry as some suggested.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, 93mlnmiles said:

A question: what is the difference between me leaving ASAP (say, tomorrow) and on the 23rd? Aside from the larger total fine on the 23rd and the risk of being caught while out and about in BKK, I get that. I won't get a ban unless the overstay is 90 days or longer. Asking because I have a place paid up until the 23rd, so the daily fine doesn't make a lot of difference to me — I'd have to pay the same 500 or more for accommodation in the country I'm going to next.

Whether 23 or 28 days as a previous overstay, it'd be frowned upon either way. Getting caught before leaving has very bad consequences, but you're aware of those. Depends how lucky you feel.

57 minutes ago, 93mlnmiles said:

I'm on my 4th tourist visa, do you think they'll let me back in visa-exempt at Nong Khai right after I pay this huge-ass overstay fine?

Probably be allowed in at Nong Khai if you haven't done more than the 2 per year visa exempts at land borders. Obviously this won't float as a longer term plan though. 

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You overstay, come on here asking for advice /help,  Lamyai answers your thread and then you proceed to make smart a++e comments, you do not deserve help.

Make they should lock you in the IDC and that will teach you not to be so clever.

That's why he overstayed 23 days.  Who does that 'by accident' ?   

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 93mlnmiles said:

Thanks for the input so far everybody. A question: what is the difference between me leaving ASAP (say, tomorrow) and on the 23rd? Aside from the larger total fine on the 23rd and the risk of being caught while out and about in BKK, I get that. I won't get a ban unless the overstay is 90 days or longer. Asking because I have a place paid up until the 23rd, so the daily fine doesn't make a lot of difference to me — I'd have to pay the same 500 or more for accommodation in the country I'm going to next.

If you are arrested while on any overstay (even one day) you are liable for deportation and blacklisting from Thailand for five years. You only avoid blacklisting by leaving before you are arrested. The risk is small, but not a risk I would take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 93mlnmiles said:

You have more change to be arrested and deported walking around for five more days, it only takes one officer and his eye on you.

A rude remark and (justified) flame responses removed.

OP, if you wish this topic to remain open I suggest you be civil to those trying to assist you.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8 minutes ago, 93mlnmiles said:

The problem is old son, that it's people like you that make things more difficult for the rest of us. It's no wonder that Immigration get edgy with us when people like you can't be arsed to follow the simple rules of a visa, that my cat could understand. Smart assed comments from you just lose you any sympathy that many others may have for you, not me obviously. 

• Thanks 1