Thai engineers held for manslaughter

geovalin

Tboung Khmum Provincial Court yesterday charged two Thai engineers for causing the death of a villager during a rock mining operation gone wrong. Major Prum Sopheak, deputy chief of Tboung Khmum district police, said Prirat Mathaworn and Ketseni Bunma, engineers with China Road and Bride Citation Company based in the province, were charged by the court with manslaughter. If convicted, the two Thai nationals could face up to three years in prison with a fine of about $1,500 each.

Maj Sopheak said on Friday at about 9am, both men were supervising rock mining operation using explosives in Chup commune.

As they detonated explosives, chunks of rock were sent flying, hitting the villager in the head roughly 300 metres away from the worksite.

“The victim died immediately near the site,” Maj Sopheak said. “Villagers alerted local police for intervention.” “The two Thai nationals were arrested the next day in Tboung Khmum district,” he added.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50587697/thai-engineers-held-for-manslaughter/

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Can one make a profit quoting brides and roads in China, and how does one quote a road?

They probably won't tell me for fear of competition...

You don't have much imagination if you can't think of more than one way to spell construction! ????

On 3/18/2019 at 2:14 PM, klauskunkel said:

Can one make a profit quoting brides and roads in China, and how does one quote a road?

They probably won't tell me for fear of competition...

The company just may be The China Road and Bridge Corporation. Transliteration/translation from Khmer to English may explain the odd name.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you learn something new everyday. Thai engineers employed by a Chinese state run engineering firm, working in Cambodia. Never expected to read something like this. Didn't think they would employ anyone besides their own citizens and the citizens of the country they are working in.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:15 PM, Benmart said:

The company just may be The China Road and Bridge Corporation. Transliteration/translation from Khmer to English may explain the odd name. 

Well you have to be pretty stupid not to translate it properly - even if there's a spelling mistake or the translator isn't proficient in English this can be easily rectified. A bride is not a bridge, period. Even with my rather basic Chinese and Khmer skills would not make such an elementary mistake translating English to these languages. I would translate back and forth to ensure I got the right word, using image searches if there was any doubt. Seems like whoever translated this was either extremely incompetent or stupid and should never be asked to do any translations again. Even a 5-year old can do a better job.

I mean, I could lazily write "打飞机" in Chinese to mean "to catch a plane" because the term "打" can mean, among other things, to "catch" something like a cab, but in reality, this phrase means to "masturbate". Imagine for a minute, if instead of writing, "to catch a plane" I write in an article "to masturbate". Quite embarrassing if you don't translate properly.

19 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Wow you learn something new everyday. Thai engineers employed by a Chinese state run engineering firm, working in Cambodia. Never expected to read something like this. Didn't think they would employ anyone besides their own citizens and the citizens of the country they are working in.

Cheap, cheap most important. “Here explosives. You blow up rocks over there.”

It would have been better if the Chinese had hired their late 19th century ancestors from America. Those guys built most of the US transcontinental railway through the Sierra Nevada.

Archived