"Sorry for everything" - teenager shoots herself dead with dad's gun after phone use criticism

webfact

"Sorry for everything" - teenager shoots herself dead with dad's gun after phone use criticism

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A teenager in Pathum Thani shot herself dead in her bedroom after her parents criticized her for spending all her time on social media on her phone. 

"A" sneaked out and got her father's .38 gun and went back to her room. There she appears to have shot twice. 

One bullet was found in the ceiling. The second was between her eyebrows. 

She left her final words on Facebook in Thai. She said: "Sorry for everything. Sorry for those left behind. Sorry"

The girl was in M4 at a local school indicating that she was about 15 years of age. 

Pol Col Panyaphat Dechachotphisit of the Pratunam Chulalongkorn police said that the parents had told him that they had criticized their daughter for spending all her time on her phone on social media. 

Police are checking whether the gun was licensed. 

An autopsy is being held at Thammasat Chalermprakiat Hospital. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-18

Tragic. A whole life in front of her thrown away to no purpose.

Social media has its good and bad points. There can be no doubt that it has improved Thai literacy and awareness.

The downside is that this new literacy leads some to spend too much time reading utter garbage and being unaware of the real world going on away from the cyber one .

RIP.

4 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

So sad! Why would the father need a gun? No member of the general public requires a gun. With all the shootings going on in this country, it's about time that the Government, brought in, and enforced,  stringent gun laws

Are you blaming her father? Better blame 'smartphones' and 'social media', from which kids (and adults) get brainwashed.

All guns, any gun should be kept in a secure gun cabinet when not in the possession of the owner.  That owner should have the key to the gun cabinet in his/her possession all the time.

So sad - RIP

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Are you blaming her father? Better blame 'smartphones' and 'social media', from which kids (and adults) get brainwashed.

Yes I would blame her father too, if the gun had been locked up there would not be a problem. Guns have no place lying around in a house. So yes Id say the dad was more responsible then social media. 

Social Media is not bad at all, it can be over done but it has far more and better uses then guns. 

What i heard about guns is that they should be locked up safely out of reach of children, the same can not be said about smart phones. So if i were to look for blame it would be gun use not social media use.

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

All guns, any gun should be kept in a secure gun cabinet when not in the possession of the owner.  That owner should have the key to the gun cabinet in his/her possession all the time.

So sad - RIP

Agreed

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes I would blame her father too, if the gun had been locked up there would not be a problem. Guns have no place lying around in a house.

No point having a gun if it isn't loaded and readily available.

Subject is suicide, and I'm guessing no gun would have just led her to try another way.

That was a serious addiction, where death appeared worse than a bit less facebook time.

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

So sad! Why would the father need a gun? No member of the general public requires a gun. With all the shootings going on in this country, it's about time that the Government, brought in, and enforced,  stringent gun laws

agree, but it's not just here. i heard on the news that there are 15,000 military style assault rifles legally in the hands of the public in new zealand - not to mention all the other types of guns. i knew things were crazy in the usa, but nz?!

I read somewhere that teenagers of this age don't really appreciate on a deeper level  the finality of death.  It's not that they expect to come back, it's that they don't see beyond the impact their death is going to have in solving whatever the immediate issues are. This trend may be exaggerated in a society that follows Buddhism and all manner of mysticism.

A terrible tragedy that a young life is lost over a stupid issue.   

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

RIP  young lady

what a waste, so young and a hole life to live and they want us to believe it happen because the extensive use of the phone?   humm something else has to be the cause

A lot of people are addicted to social media. Take away an addict's drug and they suffer. 

typical americans always staright to the gun debate.  if she hadnt had a gun she would have used another less effective method. the problem is her depression which was obviously exacerbated by her social media use.  every toher day people pulled out of rivers, charcoal suicides and jumping off bridges and you all want to debate guns.....

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes I would blame her father too, if the gun had been locked up there would not be a problem. Guns have no place lying around in a house. So yes Id say the dad was more responsible then social media.

How very patronizing, where does it say that the gun was lying around the house? Please point out that detail to me.

1 minute ago, james.d said:

How very patronizing, where does it say that the gun was lying around the house? Please point out that quote to me.

Logic, kid got the gun. Kids should not be able to do so. Guns should be kept away from kids. In this case the child got the gun. That proves that it was available for the kid and not locked away.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Logic, kid got the gun. Kids should not be able to do so. Guns should be kept away from kids. In this case the child got the gun. That proves that it was available for the kid and not locked away.

It is your "lying around".... You must be guessing. Yes or no?

She left her final words on Facebook in Thai. She said: "Sorry for everything. Sorry for those left behind. Sorry"

I wonder if she had some sort of mental issues. I mean, getting  criticized by her parents  for spending all her time on social media on her phone would not make an average kid (15) to sneak out of her room, find her fathers  gun and commit suicide.

38 minutes ago, james.d said:

It is your "lying around".... You must be guessing. Yes or no?

I am not guessing, if it was safely locked up the child would not be able to get it. So we can say it was not safely locked away, in other words it was lying around.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am not guessing, if it was safely locked up the child would not be able to get it. So we can say it was not safely locked away, in other words it was lying around.

15 ain't a child, lots of Thai girls her are are already mothers.

3 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Most guns found in Thailand are illegal guns.

Please explain to me how stricter gun laws as already in place in Thailand will minimise the illegal use of illegally owned guns?

Illegal owners of illegal guns tend not advertise that they have guns in possession, also it is a well known fact the police, anywhere in the world, can not do anything about illegal guns, found guns in nearly all cases are just luck.

Legal gun owners are mostly, but not always, law abiding people that will probably never use their guns in anger.

Also, legal firearms in Thailand are highly expensive, the guntrade is regulated, registration of legal guns is well organised, but alas, all that is not valid for illegal guns.

Archived