"Sorry for everything" - teenager shoots herself dead with dad's gun after phone use criticism

webfact

11 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but in this case, her excessive use of social media was the reason for her actions.

People say that without a gun she would have found an other way, if that was true then Europe would have mass stabbings (no guns like in the US) and it has not. So not having guns available certainly stops a lot and I think in this case it would have stopped her suicide. That is a personal opinion of course and as valid as your if you think it would not. Can't be proven either way.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the parents had told him that they had criticized their daughter for spending all her time on her phone on social media. 

Shame the parents didn't play a more pro-active role in their daughters life & give her an alternative to sitting alone with her phone... easy to blame everything else except not having the time to be a constructive parent!

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Shame the parents didn't play a more pro-active role in their daughters life & give her an alternative to sitting alone with her phone.

Easier said that done, my teen has been locked to her phone/laptop screen since the age of 15 (20 now).

No social life at all, at university she sits in a mates room with them both locked to their own screens.

If I wasn't for lectures they'd never leave their rooms.

This is a perfect example of appalingly poor parenting.

Tragedy aside, the bigger issue at hand is what was Somchai doing with a 0.38 in his house?

I guess it belonged to one of his friends who left it there, but Somchai had no idea about it?

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Are you blaming her father? Better blame 'smartphones' and 'social media', from which kids (and adults) get brainwashed.

And it's now well researched that it's a real and debilitating addiction.

Just one example, a girl in my bachelor level class eventually baled out of her studies because the other students and her professors were getting really angry with her:

- Selfies again and again during lessons and all the time. Even standing up while the professor (me and others) were explaining something to get a different angle to take the next selfie. And at the same time telling other students to move their chairs so she could get another different shot'.

- Continuously again and again being told by her professors and the other students to stop talking on her phone, often loudly, because the other students wanted to listen to the lecturer.

- Always late after breaks and after lunch 'because I have to update my facebook page' etc.

- Her refusal to contribute to team research / case studies, she just sat in the circle and checked facebook, twitter, whatsapp...

- Another female Thai professor confiscated her phone, she went to the mall at lunch time and bought another one.

As tragic as this is, we here need to understand women a little better.  I believe the majority of us are male.

We find it difficult to understand how a woman can be so intense about her friendships and communicating with her friends but in my experience it is more important to her than life itself.

I think this is one of those times but I would have to ask the ladies in the forum this question.

16 hours ago, Vacuum said:

As far as I know, it's not easy to get a license for a gun.

But it's very easy to get a gun.

Thais aren't as big on licensing as us white folk.

No driving license, no marriage license, no gun license.

And although not having the correct license for everything horrifies us, the Thai people (and authorities) aren't all that bothered.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

criticized her for spending all her time on social media on her phone. 

Two problems I see:  Smart phones are addictive and their egos cannot handle criticism.  Parents are at fault for allowing her to have a smart phone - it is not a life necessity!

A young life cut short for no logical reason!  RIP young lady!

52 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

Two problems I see:  Smart phones are addictive and their egos cannot handle criticism.  Parents are at fault for allowing her to have a smart phone - it is not a life necessity!

Addictive - where did you dredge up this Gem ?

Fault - know her parents ? Young lady in question ?

Archived