Window film

Andrew Dwyer

I have one window, in the house I live in, that gets direct sunshine from 3 pm to 5.30 pm and makes it unbearable inside, ( it’s my bedroom so not great for my afternoon nap [emoji51]).
Not really feasible to plant any trees etc .

Next door house has film ( the patterned type from HomePro etc ) on their windows but I suspect that is only because they don’t have curtains and not sure if this type of film is good for uv or just for decoration and to obscure vision ?We have curtains but need blackouts fittings to the curtains.

My gf suggested we could fit film , used for autos, on the windows as it’s specifically for this purpose and I couldn’t think of a reason why not .

Any reason why this would not work ??

Anyone tried this ??

Or should I go with the blackout curtains ??

I had the same problem with a west-facing bedroom.  Have both the window film (easy to install DIY) and curtains with the silver fabric backing (both were professionally made-to-order, with the silver fabric attached to the curtain with velcro - which also reduces fading and extends the life of the curtains).

Problem solved so long as the curtains are closed, and the windows left open - I've found the film alone to be insufficient.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Film means dim dungun full time - much better to control with blackout (silver reflective) backing on curtains.  

That rather depends on the film. The type that will reduce heat transfer by a lot without reducing the light by much is available it does work but it is very expensive. 

The cost effective way is curtains.

Admit my experience dates back more than a few years (1970's) so may have better options in film now but after working behind such windows for six months at US Embassy Beirut never wanted to do so again (although part of reason was to limit shattering from sniper hits).  But to me simple backing on curtain makes sense as completely removed when not wanted.

Beirutembassy.jpg

Okay guys, seems like the best way to go is to add reflective blackouts to the back of the curtains.

It was the gf’s idea and I wondered if it would work or be cost effective.

As it seems that it’s not gonna be very effective I am in the fortuitous position of being able to go back to her and say : “ don’t be f$&kin stupid “ [emoji51]

Of course we all know that’s not gonna happen, I’ll probably just say : “ nice idea darling but I consulted the oracle and it seems like blackouts are the way to go. Now get in that bedroom !! “

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay guys, seems like the best way to go is to add reflective blackouts to the back of the curtains.

As it seems that it’s not gonna be very effective I am in the fortuitous position of being able to go back to her and say : “ don’t be f$&kin stupid “ emoji51.png

Of course we all know that’s not gonna happen, I’ll probably just say : “ nice idea darling but I consulted the oracle and it seems like blackouts are the way to go. Now get in that bedroom !! “

Just as a guide to do a car with the standard film is probably about ฿ 3,000 to do the same car with the good heat protection film is over ฿40,000 as your windows are a lot bigger than a car my guess is that unless you can buy the film wholesale it's going to be crazy money.

As it seems that it’s not gonna be very effective I am in the fortuitous position of being able to go back to her and say : “ don’t be f$&kin stupid “ emoji51.png

I suggest you approach one of the local monks and pay him to convince your GF ghosts will get in with film and without curtains. Or that it's bad luck in a house.

Just as a guide to do a car with the standard film is probably about ฿ 3,000 to do the same car with the good heat protection film is over ฿40,000 as your windows are a lot bigger than a car my guess is that unless you can buy the film wholesale it's going to be crazy money.

Okay, thanks for that, that’s just sealed the deal for me, I had no idea it was that expensive, I have it on my car but it came as “ a free extra “ .

Okay, thanks for that, that’s just sealed the deal for me, I had no idea it was that expensive, I have it on my car but it came as “ a free extra “ .

I rather doubt that the 3M silver nanotechnology film was provided as a free extra, certainly possible but, it is so expensive that supplying it as a freebe is rather unlikely. Do you have any proof of the exact film that was fitted? Some windscreens do have a film already fitted & due to economies of scale they might have the silver film fitted at a reasonable price. I also suspect that the dealer may pass this off as an extra.

I will be buying a car when the engine I want is released and there is no way that I will be trusting that they will really fit the good film

I rather doubt that the 3M silver nanotechnology film was provided as a free extra, certainly possible but, it is so expensive that supplying it as a freebe is rather unlikely. Do you have any proof of the exact film that was fitted? Some windscreens do have a film already fitted & due to economies of scale they might have the silver film fitted at a reasonable price. I also suspect that the dealer may pass this off as an extra.

I will be buying a car when the engine I want is released and there is no way that I will be trusting that they will really fit the good film

I’ve no doubt that the film i got wasn’t the best quality ( probably mid range ? ) but it does seem to work okay and I’m happy with that .

We have a south facing window getting sun 5 or 6 hours per day. Decided to cut a 1 meter square of foil backed foam, like used on metal roofing. Fit it snugly against the window inside the wooden frame. Pressure fit, no attachment, can be pulled down and put back in seconds. Never take it down. Also helps keep the cool in when AC is on. Light from a non sun window is plenty. Product is available in rolls at Home Pro, etc.

Also love the silver black out cloth we bought at the curtain shop and DIY’d on sliding glass doors using fishing line across the wall above the doors as a hanger. End result is the cloth is flat against the wall, seals well against light and heat, and slides open easily.

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Are you sure the extreme heat is coming in through the window?

We tried film and backed curtains, achieved nothing. Ultimately on the advice of a retired farang engineer we realized the heat in coming down through the ceiling and especially so on the corner of the house that gets the most sun. 

Much much thicker insulation in the roof and allowing the very hot air to get out of the ceiling had a much better effect.

Are you sure the extreme heat is coming in through the window?

We tried film and backed curtains, achieved nothing. Ultimately on the advice of a retired farang engineer we realized the heat in coming down through the ceiling and especially so on the corner of the house that gets the most sun. 

Much much thicker insulation in the roof and allowing the very hot air to get out of the ceiling had a much better effect.

The sun is directly onto the window for a few hours and you can feel ( and see ) the heat through it, we have another window in the room and the difference is obvious.
So, reflective blackouts curtains will be the first step.
The window film was something the gf mentioned and it seemed a good idea but due to cost will put on the back burner.

Insulation is something I’ve not really looked at but probably should give it some thought.

It’s a bungalow in a newish moobahn with the standard roof tiles ( ceramic on cement ? ) and has the reflective material on the underside.
The ceilings are all suspended with plasterboard/gyproc type material .

I have seen people discussing fans to extract heat in roof area but they are usually talking about roofs with gable ends so not sure how that would work for me as my roof is pyramid shape ?

Any suggestions on this would be welcome.

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’ve no doubt that the film i got wasn’t the best quality ( probably mid range ? ) but it does seem to work okay and I’m happy with that .

This isn't really the place to discuss this but as far as the Low-E glass is rather similar to the window film it is somewhat relevant.

The standard films that are installed on cars may be good enough and with good AC the difference in cost can be difficult to justify. However there is a night and day difference between those and the expensive ones, ceramican carbon nanotechnology films can be virtually clear 10% visible light reduction combined with 100% UV cut and 80%~90% IR reduction 

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/car-wrapping-uk/window-tinting/

• 1 month later...

At all our windows.(imitation wood)  Cost about 30.000 for nine windows, professionally installed.

You can pull them  up to open windows, or adjust slots for different light or visibility options. 

image.png.a97033108604b585ee901a895c07f247.png

You can change the window glass to tinted ones. You only have one window to do anyway so not that expensive. They enable you to see out but you cant see in. Might work out a tad cheaper. I have all my window with those installed. Added to large insolation on the ceiling. Has lowered all the house heat by some 8/9c from what it was before. I can now get away with just a fan without any A/C most of the time. I don't have curtain backing in my bedroom, but I think that would reduce heat even more. Everything helps a bit.

N/B I have a bungalow like your place.

I have thought of bricking up the window in my room, just lets heat and noise in. We have wooden blinds, they get dirty and not that easy to clean. Still looking for a reasonable source for double glazing.

I installed non reflective black out curtains in my bedroom about 3 years ago and they do the trick (for black out purposes), got one south west facing window and with the AC stays comfy for an afternoon nap, the other windows face northeast and get oblique morning exposure about this time of year...lazada useta have a good selection and not expensive...installed with curtain hooks from tescos on existing curtain rails...

I have a completely different opinion than most. I always thought the film was the best way to actually reject heat and u rays etc. Curtains by definition sit away from the window, so any heat transmitted to them would be able to dissipate into the space. Plus they need to be closed all day to be effective, creating a dark room. Not the case with the films, you have more options. 

Anyway, idk what you budget is, but assuming the problem is actually the window, lamina is great. They may sort of scoff at a job that small is the problem. Not sure who to get other than them. But if they would do the job they have a great selection of films. Some will block the heat well but still let in a lot of light for you to see, other will just reflect everything and not let a lot of light in, and anywhere in between. 

On 5/18/2019 at 12:52 PM, David B in Thailand said:

The Op might contact the Sun Gard film installers I briefly spoke with at the Architect Expo earlier this month in Bangkok. 

Thailand Sungard Window Film.jpg

I'll hold the ladder...

I installed non reflective black out curtains in my bedroom about 3 years ago and they do the trick (for black out purposes), got one south west facing window and with the AC stays comfy for an afternoon nap, the other windows face northeast and get oblique morning exposure about this time of year...lazada useta have a good selection and not expensive...installed with curtain hooks from tescos on existing curtain rails...

EDIT: just reread your post.

Do you have just one blackout curtain or did you add to existing ??

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

EDIT: just reread your post.

Do you have just one blackout curtain or did you add to existing ??

nah...ordered one set of 2 curtain panels for each of 3 windows all at once from lazada, windows about 1 x 1.5m...before just had some ornamental rags covering the windows that my wife had put in place when we moved in 18 years ago that I threw out...makes a big difference as I like the bedroom cool, dark and quiet...like a tomb...

and what else is sleep and darkness but 'Death's second self that seals up all in rest...'?...all available by COD mail order...

nah...ordered one set of 2 curtain panels for each of 3 windows all at once from lazada, windows about 1 x 1.5m...before just had some ornamental rags covering the windows that my wife had put in place when we moved in 18 years ago that I threw out...makes a big difference as I like the bedroom cool, dark and quiet...like a tomb...

and what else is sleep and darkness but 'Death's second self that seals up all in rest...'?...all available by COD mail order...

Okay thanks, I’m looking at adding a blackout to my curtains, they are all under 2 years old , plus there’s another window in the same room with matching curtains so want to retain the original ( in fact the whole house are the same curtains ).

The gf was talking about another rail behind the existing for blackout curtain, which means new support brackets, drilling the wall probably, end up having to paint the whole room [emoji15]

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay thanks, I’m looking at adding a blackout to my curtains, they are all under 2 years old , plus there’s another window in the same room with matching curtains so want to retain the original ( in fact the whole house are the same curtains ).

The gf was talking about another rail behind the existing for blackout curtain, which means new support brackets, drilling the wall probably, end up having to paint the whole room emoji15.png

Just take it down, take it to a curtain shop and have them sew the blackout to the back

Archived