BANGKOK 26 May 2019 06:24

Probably start with good layer of insulation on the ceiling and I have used below type turbines on back side of roof for last 25 years and they do seem to help if you have some air flow from eves.

Image result for roof ventilators thailand

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’ve no doubt that the film i got wasn’t the best quality ( probably mid range ? ) but it does seem to work okay and I’m happy with that .

This isn't really the place to discuss this but as far as the Low-E glass is rather similar to the window film it is somewhat relevant.

The standard films that are installed on cars may be good enough and with good AC the difference in cost can be difficult to justify. However there is a night and day difference between those and the expensive ones, ceramican carbon nanotechnology films can be virtually clear 10% visible light reduction combined with 100% UV cut and 80%~90% IR reduction 

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/car-wrapping-uk/window-tinting/

• Like 1

The Op might contact the Sun Gard film installers I briefly spoke with at the Architect Expo earlier this month in Bangkok. 
656213498_ThailandSungardWindowFilm.jpg.b60b0a09dcfa8c5768e7e0cfe6e8fad1.jpg

With the greatest of pleasure !! ( on my part at least ).

Posted (edited)

You can change the window glass to tinted ones. You only have one window to do anyway so not that expensive. They enable you to see out but you cant see in. Might work out a tad cheaper. I have all my window with those installed. Added to large insolation on the ceiling. Has lowered all the house heat by some 8/9c from what it was before. I can now get away with just a fan without any A/C most of the time. I don't have curtain backing in my bedroom, but I think that would reduce heat even more. Everything helps a bit.

N/B I have a bungalow like your place.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

I have thought of bricking up the window in my room, just lets heat and noise in. We have wooden blinds, they get dirty and not that easy to clean. Still looking for a reasonable source for double glazing.

• Like 1

I installed non reflective black out curtains in my bedroom about 3 years ago and they do the trick (for black out purposes), got one south west facing window and with the AC stays comfy for an afternoon nap, the other windows face northeast and get oblique morning exposure about this time of year...lazada useta have a good selection and not expensive...installed with curtain hooks from tescos on existing curtain rails...

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:52 PM, David B in Thailand said:

The Op might contact the Sun Gard film installers I briefly spoke with at the Architect Expo earlier this month in Bangkok. 

Thailand Sungard Window Film.jpg

I'll hold the ladder...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I installed non reflective black out curtains in my bedroom about 3 years ago and they do the trick (for black out purposes), got one south west facing window and with the AC stays comfy for an afternoon nap, the other windows face northeast and get oblique morning exposure about this time of year...lazada useta have a good selection and not expensive...installed with curtain hooks from tescos on existing curtain rails...

EDIT: just reread your post.

Do you have just one blackout curtain or did you add to existing ??

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

EDIT: just reread your post.

Do you have just one blackout curtain or did you add to existing ??

nah...ordered one set of 2 curtain panels for each of 3 windows all at once from lazada, windows about 1 x 1.5m...before just had some ornamental rags covering the windows that my wife had put in place when we moved in 18 years ago that I threw out...makes a big difference as I like the bedroom cool, dark and quiet...like a tomb...

and what else is sleep and darkness but 'Death's second self that seals up all in rest...'?...all available by COD mail order...

nah...ordered one set of 2 curtain panels for each of 3 windows all at once from lazada, windows about 1 x 1.5m...before just had some ornamental rags covering the windows that my wife had put in place when we moved in 18 years ago that I threw out...makes a big difference as I like the bedroom cool, dark and quiet...like a tomb...

and what else is sleep and darkness but 'Death's second self that seals up all in rest...'?...all available by COD mail order...

Okay thanks, I’m looking at adding a blackout to my curtains, they are all under 2 years old , plus there’s another window in the same room with matching curtains so want to retain the original ( in fact the whole house are the same curtains ).

The gf was talking about another rail behind the existing for blackout curtain, which means new support brackets, drilling the wall probably, end up having to paint the whole room

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay thanks, I’m looking at adding a blackout to my curtains, they are all under 2 years old , plus there’s another window in the same room with matching curtains so want to retain the original ( in fact the whole house are the same curtains ).

The gf was talking about another rail behind the existing for blackout curtain, which means new support brackets, drilling the wall probably, end up having to paint the whole room emoji15.png

Just take it down, take it to a curtain shop and have them sew the blackout to the back

• Like 1

Just take it down, take it to a curtain shop and have them sew the blackout to the back

That’s exactly what I thought was going to happen but she has other ideas !!