Window film

Andrew Dwyer

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay thanks, I’m looking at adding a blackout to my curtains, they are all under 2 years old , plus there’s another window in the same room with matching curtains so want to retain the original ( in fact the whole house are the same curtains ).

The gf was talking about another rail behind the existing for blackout curtain, which means new support brackets, drilling the wall probably, end up having to paint the whole room emoji15.png

I'd say just replace the old curtains with the blackout ones thusly avoiding having to install a new curtain rail and etc...or alternatively sew blackout material to the inside of the existing curtains as suggested by Yellowtail but then ye gotta shop fer the material and insure that the result has a suitable 'blackout' effect...the single layered fabric curtains that I got obliterated all sunlight from the get go with probably less hassle and expense than modifying existing ones...

if the existing curtains are only a couple years old you should be able to take them back to the shop where you bought them and have them make the necessary blackout modifications including sourcing the necessary materials to save time and effort...probably won't be cheap, however...

Just be careful what backing you get. I have anti UV on my main curtains in the lounge, and you cant wash them they have to be dry cleaned. Yet another expense. Let alone the few days without any.

According to the oracle ( my gf ) these curtains are already anti UV ?
When we bought the house the curtains came with the package and we chose colour and pattern from a couple of pattern books so I’m happy with the colour etc but around 4 pm the sun hits the window and the sunlight is obvious.
This is the only window affected out of 10 !

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

According to the oracle ( my gf ) these curtains are already anti UV ?
When we bought the house the curtains came with the package and we chose colour and pattern from a couple of pattern books so I’m happy with the colour etc but around 4 pm the sun hits the window and the sunlight is obvious.
This is the only window affected out of 10 !

Might be policy to change that window to a double glazed tinted one. That's if you don't have those already. That's what I have and they seem to work well. Single glazed ones will always let the heat in (or out) no matter what you put on them. They also help with any aircon loss.

Depending on how your house is situated you could try an outside cover I have fitted a large one all along the side of my house and that works even better. It doesn't have to be big, just enough to cover the window. They make them out on S/Steel with a plastic sheet over it. Sorry no snaps but I will put one in when it's light in the morning.

13 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Might be policy to change that window to a double glazed tinted one. That's if you don't have those already. That's what I have and they seem to work well. Single glazed ones will always let the heat in (or out) no matter what you put on them. They also help with any aircon loss.

Depending on how your house is situated you could try an outside cover I have fitted a large one all along the side of my house and that works even better. It doesn't have to be big, just enough to cover the window. They make them out on S/Steel with a plastic sheet over it. Sorry no snaps but I will put one in when it's light in the morning.

Sorry for the delay been busy. Right snap of what I was referring to. Not suggesting you fit anything as big but a small one that covers the window would be fine.

IMGP0002 (2).JPG

Sorry for the delay been busy. Right snap of what I was referring to. Not suggesting you fit anything as big but a small one that covers the window would be fine.

1513887381_IMGP0002(2).thumb.JPG.55175939c3703f72ebbd0388de98ecff.JPG

Thanks for that Fred , here’s a snap of the offending window,
IMG_1766.JPG
it’s at the front of the house so no way to put anything that big.

I have some smaller ones that I fit at the side of the house:

IMG_1473.JPG

but they are mainly to keep the rain off .

I could put some of these over the window but the sunshine hits the window around 4 pm and doesn’t stop until 6 pm when it disappears behind a neighbours roof ( all bungalows around here).
I could plant a big tree but I prefer to go with the curtain option ( initially ).

I think my glass is tinted slightly as I cannot see inside without putting my face right up to the window and shielding the sunshine with my hand.

Here’s a final photo of the sunshine ( taken at 4.16 pm ) today.

IMG_1767.JPG

I turned around 180 degrees after taking the first photo.

How about a trellis with climbing plants - or a cricket screen (moveable).

Yes I did consider knocking up some sort of frame with climbing plants but it would have to be high and spoil my view.

Was also considering a screen on the window with small Conwood horizontal slats angled downwards slightly, let the light in but keep the sun off. Seen one in an old TVF thread that some had knocked up and it looked good.

34 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks for that Fred , here’s a snap of the offending window,
IMG_1766.JPG
it’s at the front of the house so no way to put anything that big.

I have some smaller ones that I fit at the side of the house:

IMG_1473.JPG

but they are mainly to keep the rain off .

I could put some of these over the window but the sunshine hits the window around 4 pm and doesn’t stop until 6 pm when it disappears behind a neighbours roof ( all bungalows around here).
I could plant a big tree but I prefer to go with the curtain option ( initially ).

I think my glass is tinted slightly as I cannot see inside without putting my face right up to the window and shielding the sunshine with my hand.

Here’s a final photo of the sunshine ( taken at 4.16 pm ) today.

IMG_1767.JPG

I turned around 180 degrees after taking the first photo.

Your window doesn't look very tinted to me. The double glazed ones I have look black from the outside but you can see out. You cant even see in at night with the lights on.

Give putting a car type tint on first then think about a lagging of some sort in the roof also the curtain backing, all will help a bit. I used to have a similar problem with my bedroom window That was tinted but the shading I put on with the roof lining has done the job. Mind you the last lot of 40c+ made me turn the Air on in the afternoon if I wanted to have a doze.

Best of luck. 

Your window doesn't look very tinted to me. The double glazed ones I have look black from the outside but you can see out. You cant even see in at night with the lights on.

Give putting a car type tint on first then think about a lagging of some sort in the roof also the curtain backing, all will help a bit. I used to have a similar problem with my bedroom window That was tinted but the shading I put on with the roof lining has done the job. Mind you the last lot of 40c+ made me turn the Air on in the afternoon if I wanted to have a doze.

Best of luck. 

Yes, the window is single pane and has a slight green tint but not really UV proof just for looks, nothing like yours by the sounds of it .

Thanks for your help, it’s only been 2 months since I started this thread !! [emoji51] but I got waylaid having the tiling done outside and have been busy with the garden.
On top of this I’ve started painting the house, that green paint’s days are numbered !!

What’s the obsession with multicoloured stuff ??, my house is 5 different colours and the perimeter wall another !!
Will eliminate 3 of those colours, keep it simple is my motto !!

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, the window is single pane and has a slight green tint but not really UV proof just for looks, nothing like yours by the sounds of it .

Thanks for your help, it’s only been 2 months since I started this thread !! emoji51.png but I got waylaid having the tiling done outside and have been busy with the garden.
On top of this I’ve started painting the house, that green paint’s days are numbered !!

What’s the obsession with multicoloured stuff ??, my house is 5 different colours and the perimeter wall another !!
Will eliminate 3 of those colours, keep it simple is my motto !!

Not easy to show my windows as they are covered in bars and it's night time. But have taken a shot from my Thai kitchen of a door also D/Glazed and tinted. As you can see from the kitchen side you cant see through it just reflects back. But you can see window to the right that has the same stuff. Taken at an angle you can see it's black.

N/B I had lights on inside both door and window.

IMGP0004 (2).JPG

22 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Not easy to show my windows as they are covered in bars and it's night time. But have taken a shot from my Thai kitchen of a door also D/Glazed and tinted. As you can see from the kitchen side you cant see through it just reflects back. But you can see window to the right that has the same stuff. Taken at an angle you can see it's black.

N/B I had lights on inside both door and window.

IMGP0004 (2).JPG

Just had a thought. Have taken a snap of window into my Western kitchen. From same spot It'll give you more idea of tint and not being able to see through from the outside.

IMGP0005 (2).JPG

Just had a thought. Have taken a snap of window into my Western kitchen. From same spot It'll give you more idea of tint and not being able to see through from the outside.

1782918954_IMGP0005(2).thumb.JPG.26c8178b3c61b110520c537ecf4c29df.JPG

That’s definitely tinted !!

So, I assume you got a local firm to come and do that ?

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That’s definitely tinted !!

So, I assume you got a local firm to come and do that ?

It's a double glazed tinted window That were already fitted when I got the house, but the door window in previous snaps were fitted around two years ago. From local man.

We rented our place for a year and the lady that rented it to us wanted to sell, so I payed out the 1 mil she wanted sharpish. That was when the Bt was 74=1 pound not bad for a 5 double bedroom bungalow even then.

You can see out from the inside even though their black looking from outside, Snap this morning of window open and one closed you can see there's not a lot of blockage. Not the same window but you'll get the general idea. Far left and right have the fly screens over them.

Have just put a snap from the outside of same window closed. It shows what the tint looks like day time.

IMGP0007 (2).JPG

IMGP0008 (2).JPG

Hope my posts have given you some idea of what you can do. You might have to change your bedroom window to a double glazed tinted one but I don't think there to expensive.

I might not be able to reply to any post for the next couple of weeks 3 as off to the UK via BKK tomorrow morning.

Regards.

Hope my posts have given you some idea of what you can do. You might have to change your bedroom window to a double glazed tinted one but I don't think there to expensive.

I might not be able to reply to any post for the next couple of weeks 3 as off to the UK via BKK tomorrow morning.
Regards.

Thanks Fred,
Yes, plenty of food for thought now.

Safe travels .

Archived