Songkran carnage: Seven deadly days becomes 21 as 10% accident reduction targeted

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Every year a news article regarding reduction of road deaths during Songkrahn. Every year TVF posters spewing the same comments. Anyone on either side got anything original?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes absolutely. This year they can ride in the back of the pickup’s.

LEGALLY.

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Last songkram was a sad time for me. I went to the farm as usual, on the last day, to feed my koi carp. I thought there was something wrong as soon as I went to pond 6. It was almost as though there were no fish in there. I threw in some food and watched. Gradually, the koi started to show. It was obvious something was amiss. They had been shocked*.

I lost about 20 big koi. All the big whites and a few all-red were missing. And my favourite; a gin rin yellow and black (about 75cm)

Carp are not one of the better tasting fish, so I think it must have been an act of lao khow spontainiosity. Sort of good idea at the time, while downing the local rice wine.

This year I'm gonna stay at the farm. I reckon they (whoever they are) will be back for some more fish this year.

* It actually took about a week for them to return to normal.

Sorry to hear that. Dishonesty is not a virtue in the teachings.

I guess they've finally figured out how to reduce the NUMBERS of deaths during the deadly 7 days.

Increase the period to 21 days, divide the total fatalities by 21 and the average hopefully will be 10% lower !!

Now that is magical !

Just hope the pi**ed up population play ball by not killing themselves so often before or after the real 7 day carnage!

5 hours ago, JimSaints said:

Happy to leave Thailand a few days before insanity of Songkran starts

I retreat to my GF's village during Songkhran. The locals are quite sensible, whereas Chiang Mai has people trying to outdo each other in stupidity.

The road toll MIGHT be reduced if it became a criminal offence to target motorbike/scooter riders with water/ice. AND the law was enforced.

he is using Article 777 to demand action to safeguard  more highways and rural roads....This year some 155 roads are under the special measures....The aim is to have 10% less accidents this year, ...ministry is on alert for the seven days prior to the festival, the seven so called "deadly days" of Songkran and the seven days after. 

Did anyone else notice that they've given no indication as to what they are actually going to do?

What "special measures"?
"On alert" for what exactly?
Reduce number of accidents how?

Is it chicken soup again?
More police checkpoints where police can accept bribes to let drunk drivers pass?
Banners that say "No drinking and driving 100%"

I mean, they must have some plan right?  Maybe it's just so ridiculous they are afraid to tell us what it is?

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I always kind of shake my head whenever this seven days or other period comes up regarding reducing accidents. Why the hell do they not come up with a concrete plan to reduce the carnage 365 days a year? Even a 10% reduction would save a couple of thousand lives, not to mention the misery of the injuries and subsequent disabilities.

why not indeed, education, policing traffic on the roads in vehicles and a real driving test never seems to occur to them. All they do is fiddle the death numbers, have Policemen in tents playing on their phones and crackdown on a few drunks. Then if it's a few less the the previous years carnage boast about their 'success'

My take on Songkran IS....  its fun to see and do ONCE.

It is my understanding that the true tradition is to gently dump water over your shoulder.......but we have all seen and been the target of nitwits with high power devices shooting ice water.

Those squirting devices made from PVC pipe will take your eye out and they will shoot you in the face while driving motorbike.

Me and my group of friends all plan vacations OUT of Thailand for that week.

Some locations _______ (fill in the blank) are just plain crazy and dangerous during Songkran and especially the last day.

The road carnage is not going to stop, never let a Thai kid you he knows how it could be done - they don't and they won't risk losing face by asking someone who might - even if they did have a police force that was used to enforcing the law, which they don't.

Still, a few zealots will try to grab some headlines and become instantly famous by claiming they can, it's the Thai way.

28 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

My take on Songkran IS....  its fun to see and do ONCE.

It is my understanding that the true tradition is to gently dump water over your shoulder.......but we have all seen and been the target of nitwits with high power devices shooting ice water.

Those squirting devices made from PVC pipe will take your eye out and they will shoot you in the face while driving motorbike.

Me and my group of friends all plan vacations OUT of Thailand for that week.

Some locations _______ (fill in the blank) are just plain crazy and dangerous during Songkran and especially the last day.

Congratulations, that's the only rational policy when considering Sonkran - be somewhere else. My missus gets the heebie-jeebies if I even consider going out any time in Songkran week, and this year'll be even worse given the continuing breakdown in Thai society.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The aim is to have 10% less accidents this year, said Arkhom.

The target should be 100%.  But, I suppose setting the target low at 10% will mean the people behind these hair-brained targets will still be able to sleep at night when it's announced to be yet another failure.

3 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

The target should be 100%.  But, I suppose setting the target low at 10% will mean the people behind these hair-brained targets will still be able to sleep at night when it's announced to be yet another failure.

The people behind the hair-brained targets are not the reason for the failure.

With and average of 66 deaths per day on Thai roads a more imaginative approach is required.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The people behind the hair-brained targets are not the reason for the failure.

With and average of 66 deaths per day on Thai roads a more imaginative approach is required.

Same difference, but you're missing the point; a more imaginative approach is required from the people behind the hair-brain targets.  It's the same couldn't-give-a-toss bullshit every year.

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

So extend it from 7 days to 21 days, sounds like one bigger reason for an extended pi$$ up to me, with at least the doubling of deaths on the roads, another Thai genius idea with little thought gone into it, brilliant !

Thainess 

43 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Same difference, but you're missing the point; a more imaginative approach is required from the people behind the hair-brain targets.  It's the same couldn't-give-a-toss bullshit every year.

It is the hair-brained people behind the wheel that require attention........

Archived