One student dead many injured as school trip bus overturns in Prachinburi

webfact

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Such a sad, but recurring tragedy.

I am so glad my wife agrees with me that none of our 4 kids will EVER step foot on a bus or other form of vehicle, the aunty on her way back home via the school is about the only person we will allow them to get into a vehicle with if we are running late, because she drives like an old lady, you know the ones that resemble farmer Joe doing 50kmh on the main 80khm road, while school minivans and those other smaller buses are doing 100kmh plus packed with kids.

Plus most of them have had the seats removed and are fitted with benches to accommodate more kids and of course no seat belts.

Realistically though and while it is easy to criticize what is the alternative?

Many families do not have a car only motorbikes and both parents work to survive.

Easy for us neither of us work and we have two cars so our daughter gets dropped off and picked up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an ordeal for the students and teachers. First a bus with a broken wheel (? axle) and then a replacement bus that crashes. From the photo the accident appears to be on a bend and the second driver could have been speeding (or fell asleep!). RIP young lass and best "recovery" wishes to the injured.

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Using the brakes was of course out of  the question. Should have just hit the truck instead. Why do they always "swerve" and end up hitting a tree, electric pole or like in this case, overturn on tge side of the road?

Most of these accidents occur when the driver falls asleep ????

Going off at a tangent. I. Was in Bangkok yeasrerday. Sahmut Prakan.. I stopped at some traffic lights next to one of these busses. I pointed out to my wife there where two wheel studs missing on the offside rear steering axleB both had been snapped off . The cause is mainly due to putting a bar on a wheel socket and jumping up and down. Common knowledge to HGV Drivers .

There is little wrong with the bus.  They are used in quite a few countries.  the problem is with the drivers that do not know how to drive them or understand that while the speed limit might be 80 that is for a car and is based on perfect driving conditions.

7 hours ago, kingkenny said:

You can see it's happened on a bend looking at the pictures, too fast for the bend, possibly with a swerve. 

Slightly off topic, is it normal to have so many teachers per the number of students on a trip? 

One of my family visited Korea for 4 days last year in a school party that consisted of 3 students and 3 teachers. Of course the students had to pay for their journey but the teachers...............?

4 hours ago, bander said:

Install online car cams with GPS and speed alert when the driver don't keep the limit is the only way to reduce accidents like this. 

I rode on a nice, new Mercedes bus in Mexico years ago.  It had an over speed alert.  It was a very calm trip. 

11 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Using the brakes was of course out of  the question. Should have just hit the truck instead. Why do they always "swerve" and end up hitting a tree, electric pole or like in this case, overturn on tge side of the road?

maybe, just maybe we will live long enough to see airplane like black box on these buses....that may drastically reduce the soi dogs and jumping tracks excuses... 

12 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Realistically though and while it is easy to criticize what is the alternative?

Your 100% correct SteveAus, as much as I hate doing it, one alternative would be the government stop wasting money on tanks, etc, etc and provide proper buses to rural areas, like have a bus system and make seat belts mandatory on all minivans etc etc, and of course have police out in force, enforcing the law, but then again, what your used to in Australia will not happen here in Thailand, well not in the next 30 - 50 years, if ever and more lives will be lost unfortunately, I suppose we westerners/Aussie's value life differently, regardless of the stress it puts on motorists, will enforcement, but our annual death tolls are so low, I mean how much does one value a life, not much here from my opinion and it is what it is unfortunately, just got to apply what we know to our own.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Prachuap Chokbanthit, 53, the driver of the second bus, said a truck cut in front of him, causing him to swerve to the left to avoid it but the bus hit the road guardrail and overturned.

And, there it is! The inevitable Thai blaming anyone, anything other than himself. 

While his claim is possible, it is more likely that, in typical Thai driving methods, he was tailing too closely and at too high a speed. 

Has anyone in Thailand ever taken responsibility for anything??? Maybe in a Thai ancient history book somewhere? 

19 hours ago, Youlike said:

Do you think the driver did it on purpose? Of course not...he didn't need to get trained properly to be a busdriver...that's where the problem is....same goes for the maintenance staff and roadbuilders and so on.....nobody got properly trained for their job.

No matter what the Thai do to stop this from happening, they can't fix it themselves but won't ask any foreigner for help...

Basically it is the low pay for public transport drivers. I remembered bus drivers and policemen in the west were paid about double the starting pay of a graduate. They were well aware of their performance on protecting human lives. Paying better wages would encourage better qualified drivers.

one of the better country to emulate is japan. In japan, low level jobs like garbage collectors, street sweepers , airport baggage handlers all were paid salaries higher than an average graduate so people valued their contributions to society. They act professionally in their jobs with no stigma attached. Why, even the shoe polishers do their jobs excellently. People should take pride of their vocations be it low level or not. Somebody has to do the dirty work. But in Thailand given the current social and financial structure, that would be a mammoth task to achieve.

13 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

And, there it is! The inevitable Thai blaming anyone, anything other than himself. 

While his claim is possible, it is more likely that, in typical Thai driving methods, he was tailing too closely and at too high a speed. 

Has anyone in Thailand ever taken responsibility for anything??? Maybe in a Thai ancient history book somewhere? 

Thailand do not have to take responsibility of anything because of their belief in karmic entanglements. Things happened because of karma so it is always somebody’s fault to make that happen. They are blameless because they are just a passive participant in the nature of things. Their thoughts. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your 100% correct SteveAus, as much as I hate doing it, one alternative would be the government stop wasting money on tanks, etc, etc and provide proper buses to rural areas, like have a bus system and make seat belts mandatory on all minivans etc etc, and of course have police out in force, enforcing the law, but then again, what your used to in Australia will not happen here in Thailand, well not in the next 30 - 50 years, if ever and more lives will be lost unfortunately, I suppose we westerners/Aussie's value life differently, regardless of the stress it puts on motorists, will enforcement, but our annual death tolls are so low, I mean how much does one value a life, not much here from my opinion and it is what it is unfortunately, just got to apply what we know to our own.

That is why it is part of their belief in living life large today. Who knows what tomorrow brings. It is all attributed to their karma. Even being borne in Thailand is their karma. What will be ,will be. 

8 hours ago, tingtong said:

maybe, just maybe we will live long enough to see airplane like black box on these buses....that may drastically reduce the soi dogs and jumping tracks excuses... 

No need all that expensive gadgets. Just a continuous looped dash camera will surfice. With 24/7 transmission by the bus internet back to headquarters instead. 

8 hours ago, fabman5 said:

just about every Thai I ever speak too, has had family members or close friends killed in a road accident. The people running the country obviously don't really care about the situation.????

Those elites in charge of the country couldn’t care less about the plebeians that were killed. There are more of them that came from. 

If once in a while one of their kind was caught in the same situation, it is attributed to their karmic fate. 

20 hours ago, Vacuum said:

No sense in trying to brake - everyone knows about brake failure.

15 hours ago, bander said:

Install online car cams with GPS and speed alert when the driver don't keep the limit is the only way to reduce accidents like this. 

With overspeed warning device informing online both driver and HQ if the device went off. Upon any accident, HQ can always view the recorded video for clues. If driver is at fault for over speeding, fine and punish the HQ for not requesting the driver to slow down. Mechanical failures, ditto. Other factors, fine and punish the driver for not doing his job as he is supposed to do. 

''plans for "special measures" to reduce road accidents''...... so I assume adequate roadside warnings were in place together with 'speed bumps' well in advance of the danger area..... oh well... just a thought anyway.  How many hours had the driver been awake or driving before he caused the bus to overturn ?

RIP poor girl.

Archived