American man falls to his death from Chiang Mai condo

webfact

American man falls to his death from Chiang Mai condo

By The Nation

562000002767101.jpg

Picture: Manager

An American man fell to his death from the balcony of his room on the tenth floor of a condominium building in Chiang Mai's Muang district early Monday.

The Muang Chiang Mai police station was alerted at 1.50 am to the death of Ruben Ponce, 60, at the Astra Condominium on Chang Klan Road.

Pol Lt Pirapat Chaisomsri said the man has been living in the condominium for almost two years.

Security officers saw the American going out to shop at a nearby convenience store early Sunday night.

Police checked footage from security cameras and saw the man standing on his balcony before falling.

Police have yet to conclude whether the fall was an accident or suicide. No note was left behind.

The body was sent for an autopsy at Chiang Mai Hospital.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365999

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-18

22 minutes ago, seahorse said:

Most likely an accident. With a name like that, he probably would have killed himself earlier if he was the suicidal type. 

My first thought on reading this was 'what a heartless thing to say', then I re-read the report to check his name, and now I feel guilty about laughing out loud.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

My first thought on reading this was 'what a heartless thing to say', then I re-read the report to check his name, and now I feel guilty about laughing out loud.

Also guilty as charged! 

RIP Ruben Ponce ... 

I'm glad to see people in agreement that low balconies are indeed the causal factor for most of these condominium falls, and not the 'fabled Thai mafia' throwing people off (never did believe those stories)

20 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm only 5'8 1/2? (174cm) and EVERY condo balcony railing I've seen here in Chiang Mai (about a dozen or so), don't even come to my waist.  One slip - you're dead.

"...decks attached to multi-family buildings, such as apartment buildings or businesses, are regulated under the International Building Code (IBC). The IBC requires 42" high guardrails... "  Oh, I forgot, rules don't apply here, TIT.

Archived