Number of Visa exempt entries allowed?

Hi

I’ve been living in Thailand for the last 8 years with my Thai wife. I’ve mostly been staying here on a Non ‘O’ visa based on marriage, but at the end of last year I was unable to extend it due to financial reasons. I am presently here on an extension of my 2nd Visa exempt entry for the current year, obtained at the Cambodian land border crossing.

I understand that I cannot enter Thailand again at a land crossing using visa exempt, but I can enter up to 6 more times by air. So, at the end of March when my extension expires my plan is to fly to Phnom Penh and back to Bangkok on the same day to get a further 30 days visa exempt entry.

At this time I will then have had the required 400,000 bht in my Thai bank account for 2 months and can apply for the Non-O in Thailand. (I cannot apply at the moment as the funds have not been in my account for 2 months.)

All I really want to know is, will there be any problems with me entering Thailand for the third consecutive time with on a Visa exempt entry, but this time via air? From what I’ve read there shouldn’t be, but I just want to double check!

Thanks

Well you could be refused entry at airport. Where did you get the figure 6 by air.

There is no limit but you will be refused with few too many esp back to back.

You are correct about 2 border crossings. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

A little off topic, but why are you flying to Phnom Penh, where you have to pay for a visa?  Why not fly to KL, where they also have a visa exemption stamp?  The flight with Air Asia, to and from their KL hub, is probably cheaper as well.

Back on topic, from what I have been reading, you might be pushing your luck looking for another visa exemption.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

You could of gotten a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

Rather than getting a visa exempt entry it would be best get single entry non-o visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Or you could get one in Penang Malaysia by showing the 400k baht you have in the bank (no need for the 2 months).

Before you apply for the extension you will need a non-o visa entry. You could of applied for one at immigration with the 400k baht in the bank since there is no requirement to have it in the bank for 2 months for the visa application.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JonoM said:

I am presently here on an extension of my 2nd Visa exempt entry for the current year, obtained at the Cambodian land border crossing.

You might be able to extend that by another 60 days to visit your wife without any financials. 1,900 baht.

At the end of the 60 days — as long as you have 15 (maybe 21) days left — you can apply for a non-immigrant visa if the 400K is in your account (no seasoning required). That will give you another 90 ish days; and you can apply for the 1 year extension within the last 30 days of that 90.

15 minutes ago, JonoM said:

All I really want to know is, will there be any problems with me entering Thailand for the third consecutive time with on a Visa exempt entry, but this time via air? From what I’ve read there shouldn’t be, but I just want to double check!

Probably not. But if you’re going to leave the country again you’re best bet is to get a Single Entry Non ‘O’ Visa, which are available in the region without the need to provide financials. You’re going to need one prior to extending again.

39 minutes ago, Leaver said:

A little off topic, but why are you flying to Phnom Penh, where you have to pay for a visa?  Why not fly to KL, where they also have a visa exemption stamp?  The flight with Air Asia, to and from their KL hub, is probably cheaper as well.

Back on topic, from what I have been reading, you might be pushing your luck looking for another visa exemption.  

I was thinking of Phnom Penh, as my wife flies there often for work, so I can easily join her on one of her trips.

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could of gotten a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

Rather than getting a visa exempt entry it would be best get single entry non-o visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Or you could get one in Penang Malaysia by showing the 400k baht you have in the bank (no need for the 2 months).

Before you apply for the extension you will need a non-o visa entry. You could of applied for one at immigration with the 400k baht in the bank since there is no requirement to have it in the bank for 2 months for the visa application.

Yes, I've been thinking about Savannakhet, Laos. It's just a bit of a trek to go there and back (20hr+ travel time & overnight stay). My local immigration office insists that the 400k baht must be seeded for 2 months!

40 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You might be able to extend that by another 60 days to visit your wife without any financials. 1,900 baht.

At the end of the 60 days — as long as you have 15 (maybe 21) days left — you can apply for a non-immigrant visa if the 400K is in your account (no seasoning required). That will give you another 90 ish days; and you can apply for the 1 year extension within the last 30 days of that 90.

Probably not. But if you’re going to leave the country again you’re best bet is to get a Single Entry Non ‘O’ Visa, which are available in the region without the need to provide financials. You’re going to need one prior to extending again.

They would not let me extend for 60 days as they said that I was not visiting my wife, but that I was living with her (which is true). They insist that the 400k must have been in the bank account for 2 mnths!

For the reasons I've given, I still think that flying to Phnom Penh and back will be the easiest option for me, but I really don't want to end up being refused entry. Will the fact that I am travelling with my wife give them less reason for me to be refused. I had thought that as I am arriving by air that I would be OK, but I am still unsure!

Thanks for all your replies.

1 hour ago, JonoM said:

No.

20 minutes ago, JonoM said:

They would not let me extend for 60 days as they said that I was not visiting my wife, but that I was living with her (which is true).

Semantics, but their prerogative.

They insist that the 400k must have been in the bank account for 2 mnths!

That’s correct for applying for the 1 year extension. But before you do that you need a non immigrant visa, and if you apply for that in country the funds only need to be in your account on the day you apply.

For the reasons I've given, I still think that flying to Phnom Penh and back will be the easiest option for me, but I really don't want to end up being refused entry. Will the fact that I am travelling with my wife give them less reason for me to be refused. I had thought that as I am arriving by air that I would be OK, but I am still unsure!

Whatever you choose you’re going to need a non immigrant visa/entry. It’s usually far less hassle to apply for that outside of Thailand and would solve your concerns of being denied VE entry.

I don’t think you will be denied, but take a copy of your marriage certificate, wife’s ID and Tabian Baan in case they do question your reason to visit.

32 minutes ago, JonoM said:

Yes, I've been thinking about Savannakhet, Laos. It's just a bit of a trek to go there and back (20hr+ travel time & overnight stay). My local immigration office insists that the 400k baht must be seeded for 2 months!

For a single entry non-o Vientiane would be an easier trip. You can fly to Udon Thani from Don Mueang and then get a van to the bridge in Nong Khai. You have to make appointment for the application. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

38 minutes ago, JonoM said:

My local immigration office insists that the 400k baht must be seeded for 2 months!

Which office? That is certainly not required for the non immigrant visa application.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Semantics, but their prerogative.

That’s correct for applying for the 1 year extension. But before you do that you need a non immigrant visa, and if you apply for that in country the funds only need to be in your account on the day you apply.

Whatever you choose you’re going to need a non immigrant visa/entry. It’s usually far less hassle to apply for that outside of Thailand and would solve your concerns of being denied VE entry.

I don’t think you will be denied, but take a copy of your marriage certificate, wife’s ID and Tabian Baan in case they do question your reason to visit.

Thanks for the advice elviajero. With regard to the funds, they insist that funds have to be in my account for 2 months!

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For a single entry non-o Vientiane would be an easier trip. You can fly to Udon Thani from Don Mueang and then get a van to the bridge in Nong Khai. You have to make appointment for the application. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

Which office? That is certainly not required for the non immigrant visa application.

Thanks ubonjoe. I will look into Vientiane.

It's the Si Racha Office. I specifically went into the office with my wife last month to check their requirements for the Non O visa and they insist on the 2 month requirement for the 400k (which is why they would not let me apply for the visa there and then). I tried to point out to them that I did not think this was the case, but they disagree. I've given up trying to argue the point with them!

Edited by JonoM

8 minutes ago, JonoM said:

Do you know if I can apply and collect the visa on the same day?

If it is apply the morning of one day and and pickup the next day.

But IMO it would be better than another border hop and having to go through the visa application process and then the extension process and having to show all the same documents again.

Plenty of low cost hotels near the consular section.

13 minutes ago, JonoM said:

It's the Si Racha Office. 

Same nonsense as the other office in Chonburi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonoM said:

They would not let me extend for 60 days as they said that I was not visiting my wife, but that I was living with her (which is true). They insist that the 400k must have been in the bank account for 2 mnths!

There is little to no oversight to ensure that the laws/rules are applied as written - at offices and at entry-points. 

Everyone across the country can get 60-days on any entry if married to a Thai - except at that office (maybe more to come, if this idea spreads). 

Same with the "seasoning" on bank-money for a Non-O stamp - a direct contradiction to the published rules. 

I bet if you pay an agent to deal with them, for a big fee, many "new options" magically become available.  That's how it usually works - and the money seems to percolate up, or someone above in the hierarchy would put a stop to this junk.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

You have to make appointment for the application. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

Thank you -ubonjoe- ???? I am a regular there and did not know that and would be very surprised at the Consulate Gates - surely they have to leave some spots open for people who do not know the new procedure - otherwise some hanging there for days - weeks? in the limbo ????

On 3/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

For a single entry non-o Vientiane would be an easier trip. You can fly to Udon Thani from Don Mueang and then get a van to the bridge in Nong Khai. You have to make appointment for the application. See: https://thaivisavientiane. 

Unfortunately, Vientiane is booked out for weeks ahead, so it's a no-go. 

I've been thinking about trying Kuala Lumpur, but then I read a thread on this forum that mentioned that they do not issue non-O visas (for me based on marriage) if you are over 50! (I'm 51). Does anyone know if this is actually correct? Seems no logical reason for this to be the case, which makes me think that it might be true! 

11 hours ago, JonoM said:

I've been thinking about trying Kuala Lumpur, but then I read a thread on this forum that mentioned that they do not issue non-O visas (for me based on marriage) if you are over 50! (I'm 51). Does anyone know if this is actually correct? Seems no logical reason for this to be the case, which makes me think that it might be true! 

Just had another thought! If the above is true, then would it be possible for me to instead apply for a non-O based on being the parent of a Thai child?

11 hours ago, JonoM said:

Kuala Lumpur will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. But they will want to see financial proof.

"6.3 Bank statement (last 6 months) in Thailand with recommended balance of 400,000 Thai baht (if any)"

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/12_1 Non Immigrant O Dependant(1).pdf

The also require an appointment but it is much better than Vientiane's IMO. https://linistry.com/Customer/ServiceMenu?branchId=127&parentId=1383

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Kuala Lumpur will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. But they will want to see financial proof.

"6.3 Bank statement (last 6 months) in Thailand with recommended balance of 400,000 Thai baht (if any)"

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/12_1 Non Immigrant O Dependant(1).pdf

The also require an appointment but it is much better than Vientiane's IMO. https://linistry.com/Customer/ServiceMenu?branchId=127&parentId=1383

OK. That's good to hear. I've booked the appointment for next week, so now just need the get the bank statement.

Thanks ubonjoe.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

Sorry, one more question. I now have the 6mnth bank statement, but my appointment (in KL) is 6 days after the statement date. Will this be ok?