Moving household goods to Vietnam from BKK

griffon2011

Hi griffon2011, I wondering the same thing. I not going to wait as things will only get worse regards visa etc. Feed up off all this BS,

so I planning to move to Da Nang in a few months time so I getting things organized in good time.

I want to send just a few boxes, no heavy stuff, but not sure the best way.

I search google and I find a bunch of shipping company but it seems all the big names do not do for a private customer

so I keep searching. I will ship maybe 3-4 boxes with maybe 50kg each with most clothes, some electronics etc so not big.

Let's hope someone done this and can help us out. I update here if I find something useful.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:48 AM, INV said:

So been doing some reading in some VN forum and it's not worth bringing anything

I read here https://www.movers.com/international-movers/moving-to/vietnam.html

so I will just fill my bags with clothes and rest I just sell cheap or give away before I leave

Hi INV,  I am waiting on a quote from Santa Fe Relocation but the first thing they sent was a link to Vietnam Customs similar to yours. It looks like quite a paperwork/inspection ordeal and there are duties of 10% on furniture and 40-60% on electronics among others. I am curious as to how they determine the value of furniture or electronics. I have expensive furniture that I don't feel like paying large duties on and selling or giving away.  I had a very easy move from the US to Thailand.  The "duties" were 28K baht and no one even looked in the container.  Maybe the situation in Vietnam will be the same. I will chat with the mover on Monday and see what he has to say.      

• 3 weeks later...

Would be interesting to read in future how you guys solved this?

Years ago when i moved from TH to Phils, I found many shipping companies in Bkk and Laem chabang That was not my problem. 1 container by ship delivered within 6-8 weeks would cost me more than 100.000 baht in shipping alone. Customs fee would be another big issue. In the end I sold all, with big loss.

Vietnam attract many Thai expats, so would be interesting to read how you both solved this.

I can understand you wanting to get outta Thailand with all the Visa problems. However, after considering all the other potential countries I came to the conclusion that all posed various problems and hassles, some worse than here. You may be going out of the frying pan into the fire. I wish you luck, please post how you get on over there.

I cannot be arsed to move to another country, unless I get posted to an inactive position.

14 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Would be interesting to read in future how you guys solved this?

Years ago when i moved from TH to Phils, I found many shipping companies in Bkk and Laem chabang That was not my problem. 1 container by ship delivered within 6-8 weeks would cost me more than 100.000 baht in shipping alone. Customs fee would be another big issue. In the end I sold all, with big loss.

Vietnam attract many Thai expats, so would be interesting to read how you both solved this.

I just received a quote for 215K baht plus a 7% VAT for shipping 18-20 cubic meters of household goods from BKK to Da Nang. That is about $7200 USD just for shipping.  Add in the Vietnamese duties for electronics(40%) and furniture (10%) and the potential cost for customs inspections and I would have to seriously think about moving anything.  Too much paperwork and too many unknowns. If I was certain of the process and charges at the Vietnamese end it might be worth it but I need to do some more research.  28K baht solved the customs issue in Thailand so maybe a similar situation is available in Vietnam. 

That wasn't cheap. Hope you get more quotes.

I remember some was willing to negotiate, if I was willing to extend delivery time.

Have you found a Vietnam forum and tried to ask there for advice?

You mentioned potential cost for customs inspections. With a foreign name on shipping order, I would assume obligatory thorough custom inspection. A native could be of help with customs.

Sale of expensive furniture and other household items, have you found how to solve this?

I used auction companies, and that was not the best idea, big loss. How about Facebook for sale, other thai websites for sale, for sale outside Foodland, thaivisas own section for sale.

In some cases I would also consider to rent storage room, and wait and see what next 2 years changes will bring, to immigration requirements.

Appreciate you follow up this thread. 

Too costly to ship and high tax so I will sell all my stuff here in Thailand as not much of value. Its most some clothes and personal things

I like to bring so I will see if I can buy 2 plane tickets in my name, cheaper then buy for excess luggage so actually will work out great if

I can do that, or else just have to pay for extra weight.

DaRoadrunner I agree with what you write that for sure somethings will be worse and some better. I lived in Cambodia and in PH before so seen the good and the bad there.

For me, the main reason is its much better as I want start-up software company and its low setup cost and no all the BS with Thai partners and capital 2mil for wp and more if want hire foreigners, etc. There I own 100% and no need for any staff just to start and other BS like here. I have contact with some lawyers but it

will be better to compare prices etc when I am there but around the same setup costs as here. I wanted to do this for a few years in Thailand

but with the stupid system, they have here I won't. Da Nang is the place where I will go. I will post after I get in order and share my experiences in a few months

• 1 month later...

MOVING TO DA NANG; NEED ADVICE RE CUSTOMS DUTIES ON USED "RACING" BICYCLES

Currently live in Chinag Mai and love it but am also totally fed up with the growing difficulties of maintaining my long-stay visa with IMM.

I need some help in determining what to expect from Vietnam customs regarding personal belongings I would be bring with me if I make the move.  I plan to fly in by commercial carrier (Air Asia), and probably make two separate trips since max baggage is 50kg per trip.

So, first question; is that going to raise red flags with Customs?

Secondly, I own several USED "racing" bicycles.  They are for my personal use only, in used condition, and clearly look it.  I am assuming there will be no duties flying in with them, but (worst case scenario) if they were considered taxable, I am really confused by the tariff table.  My bikes were purchased in the USA but probably built in China, and I will be flying in from Thailand...so which category would it be categorized as ("favour" assume this would be for USA, "ATIGA" for Thailand, or "ACFTA" for China)?  And...what constitutes a "racing bicycle" verses a regular bicycle?  I mean, 60% vs 45% vs 5% is a huge range.  How do I figure which one Customs would apply?

45762373_snapshot_2019-05-22at9_59_01AM.jpg.1dc75817293a226be649e102487eb981.jpg

2046536815_snapshot_2019-05-22at9_58_35AM.jpg.47a71a719a90045291b1dba703913032.jpg

1538710502_snapshot_2019-05-22at10_54_25AM.jpg.b5b59cae56f2a81485417a08ce06f2fe.jpg

On 4/9/2019 at 11:31 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I can understand you wanting to get outta Thailand with all the Visa problems. However, after considering all the other potential countries I came to the conclusion that all posed various problems and hassles, some worse than here. You may be going out of the frying pan into the fire. I wish you luck, please post how you get on over there.

I cannot be arsed to move to another country, unless I get posted to an inactive position.

Good point, however, NOT necessarily.  

Take a close assessment of what matters most, employ a risk/reward and cost/loss analysis on the value of items and quality of life YOU seek (based on best guess). Then pull the trigger.  It's quit simple.  In the end it's not bad.  Sometimes it is like saying "same Shit, different pile".  However, the deal breaker is where you will be happy.  Another way to see the move is as an investment in an easier life  "Overall" based on 'what" matters to you.  In is case, as an example, we could say it's the Visa ( Thai immigration) and stupid Health insurance, for others it could be about the excessive road kill, and costs of living, or simple things like food and culture.

My point is take a simple eval, but look at end points, the overall investment for a better quality of life....then choose the "path of least resistance".  Thailands path (based on TVF submissions) has made living here very xenophobic to say the least.  The Vietnam visa is so simple and cheap. No reporting to mom like a convicted pedophile every 90 days, money laundering 800/400K to any bank are just some benefits.   

16 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Good point, however, NOT necessarily.  

Take a close assessment of what matters most, employ a risk/reward and cost/loss analysis on the value of items and quality of life YOU seek (based on best guess). Then pull the trigger.  It's quit simple.  In the end it's not bad.  Sometimes it is like saying "same Shit, different pile".  However, the deal breaker is where you will be happy.  Another way to see the move is as an investment in an easier life  "Overall" based on 'what" matters to you.  In is case, as an example, we could say it's the Visa ( Thai immigration) and stupid Health insurance, for others it could be about the excessive road kill, and costs of living, or simple things like food and culture.

My point is take a simple eval, but look at end points, the overall investment for a better quality of life....then choose the "path of least resistance".  Thailands path (based on TVF submissions) has made living here very xenophobic to say the least.  The Vietnam visa is so simple and cheap. No reporting to mom like a convicted pedophile every 90 days, money laundering 800/400K to any bank are just some benefits.   

Totally agree.  I love living in Thailand in many ways but this whole IMM debacle over long stay visas is pure nonsense and only getting worse compared with the straight-forward regulations and procedures of Vietnam.  What it really boils down to for me is that Vietnam is a rising star economically in SE Asia, and values the presence of ExPats and encourages them to come, whereas Thailand, at best, merely tolerates them but has become overly protectionistic and suspicious of ExPats to the point where they are really just shooting themselves in the foot.  Nobody likes being treated so poorly when they are actually making a significant contribution to a nation's income.  

I get a very palpable sense that Vietnamese people are genuinely friendly and engaging towards ExPats, whereas many Thai's, especially IMM officers are often only patronizing at best.  It's not blatant, but you can definitely pick up on this difference sometimes.  All things considered, I;'d rather live where I am appreciated, rather than merely tolerated.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:27 PM, griffon2011 said:

Does anyone have any experience moving household goods from Thailand to Vietnam. Are there any issues with customs, special inspections or detailed inventories etc.  I am putting together a Plan B in case I have a problem with my retirement visa.

I'm doing the same...but closer to pulling the trigger.  I have had it with money laundering and Thai immigration.  I realize there is NO Elysium, but the fight to reside in Thailand is too costly and frustrating to deal with Thai immigration, from drawing directions to my residence using crayons that idiots cannot follow, to playimg immigration Russian roulette with my Visa...Their kingdom is NOT Elysium, nor worth the fight anymore...

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Fly with your stuff, it's only 1,500bht each way, make several trips.

Have you personal experience doing this?  I mean, could this raise any red flags with Customs if, say you make 2 or 3 trips in a short timeframe like a week?

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Totally agree.  I love living in Thailand in many ways but this whole IMM debacle over long stay visas is pure nonsense compared with the straight-forward regulations and procedures of Vietnam.  What it really boils dow to for me is that Vietnam is a rising star economically in SE Asia, and values the presence of ExPats and encourages them to come, whereas Thailand, at best, merely tolerates them.  I get a very palpable sense that Vietnamese people are genuinely friendly and engaging towards ExPats, whereas many Thai's, especially IMM officers are often patronizing at best.  It's not blatant, but you can definitely pick up on this difference sometimes.  All things considered, I;'d rather live where I am appreciated, rather than merely tolerated.

YES!!!  And YES on ALL points!  That's exactly correct.  It comes down to feeling accepted or welcome. Many Foreigners I know want to move, but reside to stay because they feel 'trapped", as though there is no other option.  Tired to move again, cost, settled in, etc.  Thailand has become like a marriage gone south.  At the end of the day, it's a place I don't belong anymore.  Staying in a place and feeling miserable is akin to slow tortuous death wether its a marriage or country.

36 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I am assuming there will be no duties flying in with them, but (worst case scenario) if they were considered taxable,

Tell them you're going on a cycling holiday, no import duties.

I'm in CM, pay for my plane tickets and I'll come cycling with you (2 bikes in one trip)

Don't forget to compare prices with VietJet, direct flights from CNX.

7 minutes ago, mike787 said:

I'm doing the same...but closer to pulling the trigger.  I have had it with money laundering and Thai immigration.  I realize there is NO Elysium, but the fight to reside in Thailand is too costly and frustrating to deal with Thai immigration, from drawing directions to my residence using crayons that idiots cannot follow, to playimg immigration Russian roulette with my Visa...Their kingdom is NOT Elysium, nor worth the fight anymore...

That's pretty funny.  I guess we all have stories about our bizarre interactions with IMM staff.  I had one officer take all my paperwork and literally throw it in my face, angrily stating, "NOT CORRECT!  DO AGAIN!"

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Have you personal experience doing this?  I mean, could this raise any red flags with Customs if, say you make 2 or 3 trips in a short timeframe like a week?

1 entry a month, for my free VISA waiver anyway. No need to make so many trips in a short space of time.

Buy me tickets and I'll fly with you so you can bring 2 sets of luggage a time with no 'red flags'.

(I only need cabin baggage).

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Fly with your stuff, it's only 1,500bht each way, make several trips.

GREAT suggestion that is applicable to many items.  I did that with my clothes and various other things.  The rest I sold or donated to needy people realizing it's ONLY stuff, I can start again at a cheaper replacement cost, and newer with better technology.  Once I reorientated my thinking process, I started to let go 90% of everything.  So easy!

Just now, BritManToo said:

1 entry a month, for my free VISA waiver anyway. No need to make so many trips in a short space of time.

Buy me tickets and I'll fly with you so you can bring 2 sets of luggage a time with no 'red flags'.

I'm in too..I'm planing a trip this week to Nha trang.  If you need help, I'd be happy to assit.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'm in CM, pay for my plane tickets and I'll come cycling with you (2 bikes in one trip)

I usually fly AirAsia but thanks for tip on VietJet; I'll check it out.  I'm probably over-reacting about VN duties on my bikes when flying in but even though they are used and look it, they are fairly hi-end (US$3k each) and I have three (probably will sell one when I'm back in Chiang Mai in August before my visa expires in Sep when I plan to move to VN. 

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I usually fly AirAsia but thanks for tip on VietJet; I'll check it out.  I'm probably over-reacting about VN duties on my bikes when flying in but even though they are used and look it, they are fairly hi-end (US$3k each) and I have three (probably will sell one when I'm back in Chiang Mai in August before my visa expires in Sep when I plan to move to VN. 

With Mike and me helping, you can get all 3 bikes over in one 'cycling trip'.

Under 4k/bike ............ you know you want to keep them all.

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I second the Vietjet suggestion based on experience...VERY cheap flights, and extra baggage fees.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Clever idea ????  Are you planning to stay long term and getting a long-term visa?  Just curious because it sounds so easy to get a one-year visa, even a Business visa.  That's the real attraction for me because even though I have a "retirement" visa, I am actually self-employed working online only with USA clients and I'm just getting sick and tired of playing this stupid "stay under the radar" game with IMM.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

With Mike and me helping, you can get all 3 bikes over in one 'cycling trip'.

Under 4k/bike ............ you know you want to keep them all.

Thanks to both of you guys; you're making me feel real optimistic about making the move!

Just now, WaveHunter said:

Clever idea ????  Are you planning to stay long term and getting a long-term visa?  Just curious because it sounds so easy to get a one-year visa, even a Business visa.  That's the real attraction for me because even though I have a "retirement" visa, I am actually self-employed working online only with USA clients and I'm just getting sick and tired of playing this stupid "stay under the radar" game with IMM.

I just like to have holidays there every 90 days (non 'o' VISA) when my Thai VISA expires.

So just the 2 weeks my VISA waiver allows.

11 minutes ago, mike787 said:

GREAT suggestion that is applicable to many items.  I did that with my clothes and various other things.  The rest I sold or donated to needy people realizing it's ONLY stuff, I can start again at a cheaper replacement cost, and newer with better technology.  Once I reorientated my thinking process, I started to let go 90% of everything.  So easy!

I did the same thing when I moved to Thailand from USA.  It's amazing how many things you cling to that you don't really need.  It was such a liberating feeling to arrive here with only what I actually needed and nothing else.

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

use Flight google..super easy, accurate, helpful, and consistent.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/m/049d1..2019-06-07*./m/049d1.2019-06-11;c:USD;e:1;ls:1w;sd:0;t:h

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just like to have holidays there every 90 days (non 'o' VISA) when my Thai VISA expires.

So just the 2 weeks my VISA waiver allows.

I'm confused.  You mean you presently have a One year Thai Non-O with single-entry and have to make a border run every 90 days?

Archived