Moving household goods to Vietnam from BKK

griffon2011

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I did the same thing when I moved to Thailand from USA.  It's amazing how many things you cling to that you don't really need.  It was such a liberating feeling to arrive here with only what I actually needed and nothing else.

Like a BIG purge soul cleanse.  Had 2 giant  (10x10x40) lockers full, and a new car.  Liquidated ALL, remaining now, only 3 large duffle bags.  Felt like the world was off my back.  Did the same in the US.  Received excellent charity tax deduction, greatly enhanced less privileged peoples lives, made a little money auctioning stuff... in the end coming out about even.

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I'm confused.  You mean you presently have a One year Thai Non-O with single-entry and have to make a border run every 90 days?

I have a 90 day VISA to look after my Thai son, new VISA 4x a year, sure fills my passport up fast.

But no financials, and I enjoy the trips every 90 days.

40 minutes ago, mike787 said:

YES!!!  And YES on ALL points!  That's exactly correct.  It comes down to feeling accepted or welcome. Many Foreigners I know want to move, but reside to stay because they feel 'trapped", as though there is no other option.  Tired to move again, cost, settled in, etc.  Thailand has become like a marriage gone south.  At the end of the day, it's a place I don't belong anymore.  Staying in a place and feeling miserable is akin to slow tortuous death wether its a marriage or country.

Wow, You stated my sentiments exactly; I could not have put it better!

38 minutes ago, mike787 said:

use Flight google..super easy, accurate, helpful, and consistent.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/m/049d1..2019-06-07*./m/049d1.2019-06-11;c:USD;e:1;ls:1w;sd:0;t:h

Strangely, I get no routing for VietJet going CNX to Da Nang.  Only HCMC.  1065974536_snapshot_2019-05-22at12_30_37PM.jpg.f399daff9267033b96f05ec77373ae76.jpg

However, Air Asia really looks hard to beat at USD 74 round trip (and non-stop to boot).

315571768_snapshot_2019-05-22at12_34_15PM.jpg.a53b8f9d5f2d3df584dd4ba152ecf5af.jpg

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have a 90 day VISA to look after my Thai son, new VISA 4x a year, sure fills my passport up fast.

I explored that possibility for when my present 1 year visa expires in September, but aren't you worried that IMM will start hassling you if you are repeatedly seeking new 90 day visas. I don't really know if there are any actual regulations but I hear over and over that is likely that IMM will deny re-admission if you have too many back to back 90 day visas in your passport.

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Isn't it funny how Thai IMM loves to fill up your passport with all sorts of meaningless stuff stapled and taped to your passport pages, so much so that your passport ends up looking like it's George Costanza's exploding wallet?

When I travel internationally, destination customs inspectors usually give a look like "What The F***" when they see my passport LOL!

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I explored that possibility for when my present 1 year visa expires in September, but aren't you worried that IMM will start hassling you if you are repeatedly seeking new 90 day visas. I don't really know if there are any actual regulations but I hear over and over that is likely to deny re-admission if you have too many back to back 90 day visas in your passport.

My air prices are considerably cheaper using SkyScanner.

My bad didn't read your quote was for a round trip.

daNang.jpg

Followed the first price to the Air Asia website, member price ended up at 1,130bht.

+530bht for 20Kg luggage.

+800bht bicycle (up to 20Kg).

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

daNang.jpg

Followed the first price to the Air Asia website, member price ended up at 1,130bht.

But didn't you say VietJet flies between CNX and Da Nang, or did you just mean HCMC bcause that's the only option their website shows.

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

But didn't you say VietJet flies between CNX and Da Nang, or did you just mean HCMC bcause that's the only option their website shows.

Don't know, never been, I usually go to HCMC cos it's easy to get my VISA there, and I can get the bus to Phnom Penh for $10 and visit my pals.

I might go to Da Nang next visit, the tickets are really cheap.

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

Like a BIG purge soul cleanse.  Had 2 giant  (10x10x40) lockers full, and a new car.  Liquidated ALL, remaining now, only 3 large duffle bags.  Felt like the world was off my back.  Did the same in the US.  Received excellent charity tax deduction, greatly enhanced less privileged peoples lives, made a little money auctioning stuff... in the end coming out about even.

Exactly what I did!  I had a 1500 sq ft condo in the US, a nice car, a bunch of bicycles and a quiver of 12 surfboards (I lived on one of the best surfing beaches in Florida),  sold it ALL with the exception of a few boxes I stored with my sister. 

I'll never forget standing in the airport at JFK to check in for my flight to Thailand and realizing that everything I actually needed fit in two army-style duffle bags, a expedition backpack, and two bicycle boxes.  It was truly an amazing feeling! 

I do miss the surfboards and surfing though.  Thought of moving to Bali because of that but VN really sounds MUCH better.  After researching Bali I found that it's not really all it's cracked up to be. Da Nang sound MUCH better!

Now, after living in the Kingdom for 18 months, I guess it's time for another "soul cleansing" purge in preparation for VN ????

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

What it really boils down to for me is that Vietnam is a rising star economically in SE Asia, and values the presence of ExPats and encourages them to come,

Let's see what happens after thousands or ???  of disgruntled expats from Thailand move there.  Might take some time ,  like it did in "amazing thailand",   but things do have a habit of changing.   

Note:  If it turns out to be a choice you really like, write a blog telling everyone how terrible it is there.

I regret I did not do that 20 years ago in Thailand

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know, never been, I usually go to HCMC cos it's easy to get my VISA there, and I can get the bus to Phnom Penh for $10 and visit my pals.

I might go to Da Nang next visit, the tickets are really cheap.

Yeah, I'm definitely bitten by the Da Nang bug.  I have yet to actually visit but I know people who have lived both in Chiang Mai and Da Nang so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.  There are compromises to be sure but overall it just sounds much better than CNX to me.   In the next couple of weeks I will make a short trip just to find out for myself.

34 minutes ago, rumak said:

Let's see what happens after thousands or ???  of disgruntled expats from Thailand move there.  Might take some time ,  like it did in "amazing thailand",   but things do have a habit of changing.   

Note:  If it turns out to be a choice you really like, write a blog telling everyone how terrible it is there.

I regret I did not do that 20 years ago in Thailand

I suppose you're right.  Eventually all places that seem "to good to be true" will sour.  I know people who have lived in Chaing Mai for over ten years and they talk nostalgically about how much better the pollution, the traffic, the crowding, the way Thais view "Farangs", and the rules and regs of Thai IMM "used to be". 

It only makes sense; people hear about a paradise, and flock to it, thereby changing it entirely.

And in the case of Thailand, it's not just to the detriment of us Farangs but of Thai people as well.  They are polite about it but when I talk to many Thai people, you can tell they are not entirely happy about the invasion of Farangs during the last decade in places like Chiang Mai.

I'm sure Thailand was once "perfect" for expats, and don't get me wrong, there are many things I truly love about being in Thailand, but for my own situation, I just see more positive options in Vietnam than in Thailand now, and much less frustration, based on what friends tell me who have lived in BOTH Chaing Mai and Da Nang. 

I'm not saying one is better than the other overall.  I just see Vietnam as more open to outsiders than Thailand has now become, especially with regard to IMM policies.  Who knows what the future will bring; I'm just living in the "here and now".

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My bad didn't read your quote was for a round trip.

Yep, I always use a number of different apps to search for best airfare deals but it always seems that for travel within Asia, AirAsia usually has the best deal in terms of price and scheduling options.

32 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

It only makes sense; people hear about a paradise, and flock to it, thereby changing it entirely.

I think the changes are more to do with the change in government, extremist military style regimes aren't usually good places in which to live, for foreigners or locals.

Can't blame the increasing smog on Prayut though.

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I suppose you're right.  Eventually all places that seem "to good to be true" will sour.  I know people who have lived in Chaing Mai for over ten years and they talk nostalgically about how much better the pollution, the traffic, the crowding, the way Thais view "Farangs", and the rules and regs of Thai IMM "used to be". 

You seem like a pretty smart guy, moving for the right reasons.  I kept moving to nice, yet to be discovered places ( Austin, TX,   then S.F.,  then Sonoma county. and then Chiangrai followed by Chiangmai.  Damn if it wasn't like someone put out a banner telling everyone to follow.  Up went the population, the prices, the

small town charm.   Had my bike on the plane with me as well.  Too old and settled to move so quickly at this time.   I have a feeling you are under 60, maybe closer to 50.?   By all means, lighten your load and move on.   Actually,  outside of Chiangmai is still very nice...... except the one thing we cannot control :

weeks before, this year months of pollution.  Maybe if you tell me how good Danang is I will see you there next smokey season  .   Safe travels.....

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

You seem like a pretty smart guy, moving for the right reasons.  I kept moving to nice, yet to be discovered places ( Austin, TX,   then S.F.,  then Sonoma county. and then Chiangrai followed by Chiangmai.  Damn if it wasn't like someone put out a banner telling everyone to follow.  Up went the population, the prices, the

small town charm.   Had my bike on the plane with me as well.  Too old and settled to move so quickly at this time.   I have a feeling you are under 60, maybe closer to 50.?   By all means, lighten your load and move on.   Actually,  outside of Chiangmai is still very nice...... except the one thing we cannot control :

weeks before, this year months of pollution.  Maybe if you tell me how good Danang is I will see you there next smokey season  .   Safe travels.....

LOL!  I used to think I was the only one that would discover "Paradise" only to see it vanish before my eyes as others' quickly discovered it and changed the whole feel of the place.  I guess it's only to be expected but it's still is a sad thing.

The first time that happened to me is when I moved from NYC to Cape Cod where I found a nice little oceanside cottage for less than $500 per month which was a bargain.  Everybody that lived in my little town were locals who's family's had lived there for generations or artists.  You'd walk down the main street late in the afternoon and friendly local commercial fishermen, just back from a day out on the bay would offer you a few fish for free just as a friendly gesture.  It was a terrific place to live for a couple of years.

But soon, rich vacationers started buying up more and more property, and it wasn't long before the locals and the artists who gave the locale its' special allure, couldn't afford the rising cost of living and slowly but surely moved away to other places, and my own rent went from $500 to over $1300 when I finally left.  The town now has lost it's specialness and is just a place for rich to build their trophy homes.  It's such a shame!

I guess that's just the way it goes anywhere that's really nice...it's just a matter of time before things change, and unfortunately, Chaing Mai appears to be no exception.

I left Chaing Mai in March to move just outside of Pattaya to mainly to escape the smoky season but before I did I had a few days of choking pollution to make me realize I had made the right decision!  I heard it got pretty bad up there last month.  I hope you were wearing a surgical mask LOL!

The smoky season, and the mosquito (rainy) season are not my favorite times to be in Chinag Mai, which leaves very little time of the year to enjoy being in the outdoors up there.  Still, I have a fond place in my heart for Chiang Mai.  IMO there is no nicer place I've ever been for riding bikes.  I LOVE riding Doi Suthep and all the rural roads surrounding the city.  Just amazing!

I'm by no means sure whether or not I will move to VN or come back to Chiang Mai.  I'll be honest, I already miss CM!

Sorry for the rambling post; it was fun to reminisce ????

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I left Chaing Mai in March to move just outside of Pattaya to mainly to escape the smoky season but before I did I had a few days of choking pollution to make me realize I had made the right decision!  I heard it got pretty bad up there last month.  I hope you were wearing a surgical mask LOL!

It's still pretty bad.

If you liked CM, you'll probably like Siem Reap, very similar ambience and good cycling. 

Just now, WaveHunter said:

Really??  I always thought the burning fields ended right before Songkran.  I guess not ????

Burning stops when it's too wet to burn, and it's still as dry as the desert up here (couple of showers is all so far).

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Burning stops when it's too wet to burn, and it's still as dry as the desert up here (couple of showers is all so far).

...and with the rain comes the mosquitos! Always something to deal with!

Archived