BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

griffon2011

Moving household goods to Vietnam from BKK

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I suppose you're right.  Eventually all places that seem "to good to be true" will sour.  I know people who have lived in Chaing Mai for over ten years and they talk nostalgically about how much better the pollution, the traffic, the crowding, the way Thais view "Farangs", and the rules and regs of Thai IMM "used to be". 

You seem like a pretty smart guy, moving for the right reasons.  I kept moving to nice, yet to be discovered places ( Austin, TX,   then S.F.,  then Sonoma county. and then Chiangrai followed by Chiangmai.  Damn if it wasn't like someone put out a banner telling everyone to follow.  Up went the population, the prices, the

small town charm.   Had my bike on the plane with me as well.  Too old and settled to move so quickly at this time.   I have a feeling you are under 60, maybe closer to 50.?   By all means, lighten your load and move on.   Actually,  outside of Chiangmai is still very nice...... except the one thing we cannot control :

weeks before, this year months of pollution.  Maybe if you tell me how good Danang is I will see you there next smokey season  .   Safe travels.....

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

You seem like a pretty smart guy, moving for the right reasons.  I kept moving to nice, yet to be discovered places ( Austin, TX,   then S.F.,  then Sonoma county. and then Chiangrai followed by Chiangmai.  Damn if it wasn't like someone put out a banner telling everyone to follow.  Up went the population, the prices, the

small town charm.   Had my bike on the plane with me as well.  Too old and settled to move so quickly at this time.   I have a feeling you are under 60, maybe closer to 50.?   By all means, lighten your load and move on.   Actually,  outside of Chiangmai is still very nice...... except the one thing we cannot control :

weeks before, this year months of pollution.  Maybe if you tell me how good Danang is I will see you there next smokey season  .   Safe travels.....

LOL!  I used to think I was the only one that would discover "Paradise" only to see it vanish before my eyes as others' quickly discovered it and changed the whole feel of the place.  I guess it's only to be expected but it's still is a sad thing.

The first time that happened to me is when I moved from NYC to Cape Cod where I found a nice little oceanside cottage for less than $500 per month which was a bargain.  Everybody that lived in my little town were locals who's family's had lived there for generations or artists.  You'd walk down the main street late in the afternoon and friendly local commercial fishermen, just back from a day out on the bay would offer you a few fish for free just as a friendly gesture.  It was a terrific place to live for a couple of years.

But soon, rich vacationers started buying up more and more property, and it wasn't long before the locals and the artists who gave the locale its' special allure, couldn't afford the rising cost of living and slowly but surely moved away to other places, and my own rent went from $500 to over $1300 when I finally left.  The town now has lost it's specialness and is just a place for rich to build their trophy homes.  It's such a shame!

I guess that's just the way it goes anywhere that's really nice...it's just a matter of time before things change, and unfortunately, Chaing Mai appears to be no exception.

I left Chaing Mai in March to move just outside of Pattaya to mainly to escape the smoky season but before I did I had a few days of choking pollution to make me realize I had made the right decision!  I heard it got pretty bad up there last month.  I hope you were wearing a surgical mask LOL!

The smoky season, and the mosquito (rainy) season are not my favorite times to be in Chinag Mai, which leaves very little time of the year to enjoy being in the outdoors up there.  Still, I have a fond place in my heart for Chiang Mai.  IMO there is no nicer place I've ever been for riding bikes.  I LOVE riding Doi Suthep and all the rural roads surrounding the city.  Just amazing!

I'm by no means sure whether or not I will move to VN or come back to Chiang Mai.  I'll be honest, I already miss CM!

Sorry for the rambling post; it was fun to reminisce 🙂

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I left Chaing Mai in March to move just outside of Pattaya to mainly to escape the smoky season but before I did I had a few days of choking pollution to make me realize I had made the right decision!  I heard it got pretty bad up there last month.  I hope you were wearing a surgical mask LOL!

It's still pretty bad.

If you liked CM, you'll probably like Siem Reap, very similar ambience and good cycling. 

Just now, BritManToo said:

It's still pretty bad.

Really??  I always thought the burning fields ended right before Songkran.  I guess not 😞

Just now, WaveHunter said:

Really??  I always thought the burning fields ended right before Songkran.  I guess not 😞

Burning stops when it's too wet to burn, and it's still as dry as the desert up here (couple of showers is all so far).

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Burning stops when it's too wet to burn, and it's still as dry as the desert up here (couple of showers is all so far).

...and with the rain comes the mosquitos! Always something to deal with!