Khao Yai National Park

Acquiesce

Hi all -

We are looking to visit Khao Yai National Park for a few days and would like a recomendation about where to stay, easy you may think, yes there are plenty of places that are located close to the NP and even within the NP itself.

So, here's the snag, we want to take a dog with us also, we have nobody who can look after him if we go away and besides he's part of the family and want him to come along for the fun. He's only a little fella and is very well behaved. Does anyone know of a place that will allow us to bring him to stay with us?

Any help would be much appreaciated.

Regards,

Acquiesce

Hi Acquiesce,

I guess I can help (depending on your dog). Don't know the address anymore, but I would definitely go to Palmgarden lodge. They have a website http://www.palmgalo.com/ . The owners were a mixed German/Thai couple, but since the husband died his wife runs the place. She is absolutely adorable and loves animals. She has two great danes who roam in the village (!) and a poodle. Then there is the Iguana that is also free. Everybody knows it and it happens often that somebody comes on a motorbike, Iguana in arm, to return it. I am sure that if your dog is friendly to people they will take good care of it. I would give it a try.

However, I take it you own a car? Because it takes about 10 min by car to reach the south-gate of Khao Yai.

Another thing: it is not the woman who answers emails and inquiries - this is done from Germany. So maybe it takes some coaxing... If the owner thinks she cannot manage I am sure she can find somebody in the village to be your dog-sitter while you are away. It is a very nice village!

Hi Acquiesce,

I guess I can help (depending on your dog). Don't know the address anymore, but I would definitely go to Palmgarden lodge. They have a website http://www.palmgalo.com/ . The owners were a mixed German/Thai couple, but since the husband died his wife runs the place. She is absolutely adorable and loves animals. She has two great danes who roam in the village (!) and a poodle. Then there is the Iguana that is also free. Everybody knows it and it happens often that somebody comes on a motorbike, Iguana in arm, to return it. I am sure that if your dog is friendly to people they will take good care of it. I would give it a try.

However, I take it you own a car? Because it takes about 10 min by car to reach the south-gate of Khao Yai.

Another thing: it is not the woman who answers emails and inquiries - this is done from Germany. So maybe it takes some coaxing... If the owner thinks she cannot manage I am sure she can find somebody in the village to be your dog-sitter while you are away. It is a very nice village!

Hi Sutnyod -

Thank's for the reply, we have our own car and yes our little dog is friendly with people and loves to play with kids, never makes a noise or fuss and is always well behaved.

I am going to have a look at the website now and maybe see if i can find a number to contact the lady direct rather than via Germany.

I presume i could take the dog with me in the NP itself during the day?

Again, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Good luck,

Acquiesce.

Edited by Acquiesce

Hi Acquiece,

I am sure the guy in Germany answering the emails can give you her number. I am not sure you can take a dog into the NP, but then I never asked...

Another option (which I had to take sometimes) is to leave your dog at the vet's. Often in Bkk they have facilities for accommodating dogs. At the place near to us it cost 180 Baht per night (w/o aircon - yes, there is aircon available as well :o ), but it is very stressful for the dog. I did it only when I did not know anybody here yet, will never do it again...

Pets of any type are prohibited from entering national parks in Thailand, per DNP regulations (you can check on the Dept. of Nat'l Parks website: www.dnp.go.th). Park officials I've spoken to about this policy said it's to prevent pets from scaring away native animals and/or getting lost within the park.

This being Thailand, however, you can sometimes talk your way into bringing your pet with you. This doesn't happen very often, and when it does it's usually at the smaller and less visited national parks. At a popular park like Khao Yai, I think they would probably be stringent about enforcing the pet ban. Most national parks now have small pet cages next to checkpoints where visitors can leave their pets during their visit. However, the cages are almost always very cramped and dirty; I don't think any pet would be very happy in there. Best bet is to leave your pet(s) at home or at your hotel/resort/GH.