Marriage Visa, Open new Bangkok Bank account?

In the past I have relied upon a retirement visa but this year, because of the new rules, I have decided to switch to a marriage visa. I have a savings account and a foreign currency account with Bangkok Bank but am thinking of opening a separate account with them just to hold the 400,000 Baht required for the marriage visa.

Advice please: a/ does the 400,000 need to be fresh money brought in from abroad or can it be money already in Thailand in a different bank account? b/ what would be the best new account to open with Bangkok Bank just to hold the 400,000 Baht and that maybe pays a little interest? 

27 minutes ago, soloseaview said:

Advice please: a/ does the 400,000 need to be fresh money brought in from abroad or can it be money already in Thailand in a different bank account? b/ what would be the best new account to open with Bangkok Bank just to hold the 400,000 Baht and that maybe pays a little interest? 

There is no requirement to prove the 400k baht came from abroad.

You can have it in a fixed deposit account if you withdraw the funds at anytime without a delay or a penalty other than loss of interest. 

There are a few odd offices that may not accept a fixed deposit account. Best to check with you local office to see what their requirements are.

18 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Never been asked where the money comes from.

I've been asked  2 years in a row now where my 400,000 baht came from...I suppose that comes from them asking what job I do and answering that I don't work. ????

54 minutes ago, soloseaview said:

what would be the best new account to open with Bangkok Bank just to hold the 400,000 Baht and that maybe pays a little interest? 

You have to be careful that  the money is  "instantly" available

( immigration require that its available at all times ) and a bank book is issued, lots of the higher paying accounts will either not let you access the money at all or if you do access it you loose all interest payment.

The KrungSri   Mee Tae Dai Savings account is worth a look

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/DepositProducts/SavingsDeposit/MeeTaeDaiSavings.html

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

In the past I have relied upon a retirement visa but this year, because of the new rules, I have decided to switch to a marriage visa. I have a savings account and a foreign currency account with Bangkok Bank but am thinking of opening a separate account with them just to hold the 400,000 Baht required for the marriage visa.

Exactly what I am doing. I opened the account as mentioned in the last post. It was painless. They also told me they will process a letter for immigration within an hour. Let’s hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, johng said:

I've been asked  2 years in a row now where my 400,000 baht came from...I suppose that comes from them asking what job I do and answering that I don't work.

Perhaps but they did not insist upon you showing proof from your bank that it came from abroad.

That is one of the questions asked when doing the statement you and your wife have to sign each year.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

they did not insist upon you showing proof from your bank that it came from abroad.

Correct they did not ask for proof it came from abroad..

I was asked by I/O if I had another account in the UK answered yes,  she didn't ask for any proof of that either.

19 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I use 400.000 in a fixed saving account. 

Never been asked where the money comes from. 

Could you tell us what immigration office you use as requirements differ. 

I use the immigration office in Jomtien. Thank you for your interest in this matter.

37 minutes ago, soloseaview said:

I use the immigration office in Jomtien.

Mee too...so it would be interesting to know if they ask you about where the money came from,  this year they seem to be more "inquisitive" than previous years...