Thailand Elite Visa flaws my review!

On 3/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

Don't get the fuss about the 1900thb, do u never travel out of thailand? 

That's what its mainly uses for tho... The airport transfer is quite useless without traveling. 

20 year visa for 1 mio thb is better value for money but doesn't include aot limousine service if someone just wants to stay here... 

Also u can do 90 day reporting online or send the line man over there... No need to waste ur time in immigration. 

Yeah, I got elite since last year and could do the online reporting this time. Didn't work for me last time, but I believe you have to do it like 10-5 days before or something. Do it too early or too late and the site won't work. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the Op makes a fair point. 

There are no moving goal posts... the information provided by Thai Elite is clear on what it can and can't do.

But, if paying 500,000 baht for 5 years some of the hassle 'could' have been removed; such as not having to do the 90 day reports and the 1900 baht extension of stay - but that is not Thai Elites fault, it's Immigration Law. 

The Visa Offered with Thai Elite is not a Non-Immigration Visa - thus we can only get 2 Year Temporary License - Thai Elite can do nothing about this, its a regulation set by the Department of Land Transport. 

With all the complaints - I'm struggling to find a country where those who don't meet the Immigration requirements can still live (i.e. Non working, Single, Sub-retirement age) yet still pay a lump of money to live where they want long term.

And... while its a completely moronic name it is called 'Thai Elite' which implies the service is costly, and marketed at those who can afford to pay Thailand money to regularly Visit for long periods, this price is achievable for many, but not others who may understandably feel some resentment. Unfortunately a 'Thai-Indigent' program has not yet been set up - it's not Thailands job to please you and it already goes to great lengths for retirees etc.

Agree or not, the Thai Elite Membership suits those people it set out attract. 

i.e. regular and long term vistor's who don't want to be tied up with visa issues. 

Personally, I've had great value out of the Thai Elite program. 

1 MB lifetime membership (purchased when it was first offered) 

I've been a member about 14 years. In that 14 years I've only ever had to fill out 2x 90 day reports, always traveling more frequently than that. 

A little Maths.

Without accounting for services used. 

1,000,000 baht / 14 years = 71428 baht per year / ~195 baht per day.

Accounting for services used: 

*AOT Limo (on average) 12 x per year / Cost per Trip 1200 baht = 14,400 baht per year

= 201,600 baht in AOT Taxis

*Golf (on average 24 games per year, but only for the 1st 8 years (I stopped playing golf about 6 years ago!): 24x 2500 baht (2500 baht cost per game on average 

= 480,000 baht in Golf (for the first 8 years only)

*Massage (Once every couple of weeks for the first 8 years) 24x 1000 baht (cost per massage)

= 192,000 baht in Massage (for the first 8 years only)

Total: 873,600 baht worth of services used. 

*AOT - it could be argued that a regular taxi could be used (this cost could be cut to 1/3rd - but before Thai Elite I used AOT for its reliability and convenience)

*Golf - After 8 years I stopped playing so I only counted 8 years - the cost of 2500 baht per game is on the low estimate, courses such as Muang Keaw charge about 4000B per round, which adds a new facet, its difficult to find friends to play with at this price.

*Massage - Thai Elite switched the goal posts and permitted Thai Massage only which I don't like, so after 8 years I haven't used the massage service. 

So.. with the above knowledge and calculation - the Visa has cost me ~126,400 baht over 14 years.

Or, 9028 baht per year (25 baht per day !!!) for trouble a free Visa and 14 years of never having to queue at immigration on departure or arrival.

... and an annual health check up to boot !

I can't see how anyone could consider this money poorly spent, especially when considering on average we lose more on cars in much less time. 

Simply put - as with a car, it can come down to the cost of an added convenience. 

Personally I regard Thai Elite also as a form of tax, since I don't pay any other tax here in Thailand (well, except VAT of course). And when comparing this "tax" compared to the tax I pay when living in my home country, it's waaaaaaay cheaper. In The Netherlands I probably paid at least 400.000 Baht *just* in income tax in the last few years (not even taking into account the higher VAT rate and various other taxes). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wolf81 said:

Personally I regard Thai Elite also as a form of tax, since I don't pay any other tax here in Thailand (well, except VAT of course). And when comparing this "tax" compared to the tax I pay when living in my home country, it's waaaaaaay cheaper. In The Netherlands I probably paid at least 400.000 Baht *just* in income tax in the last few years (not even taking into account the higher VAT rate and various other taxes). 

But it isn't a tax.

But if that rationalization works for you -- cool. 

There are lots of ways to think of it.

Maybe like a confiscatory bridge fare over a crocodile infested moat to enter a Medieval castle to then be "welcome" to stay for the number of years you bought, and then tossed back out when the time comes? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Richard Smith237 I think you make some fair points about the visa as far as the value over the long run that is personally not my issue. 

What my issue is is that I would not like to be downgraded in my ability to do things if I get a Thailand Elite Visa.

I had a 5 year license but now can only get a 2 year. It is not the end of the world just annoying since you would think a "Elite Visa" would not offer you less than what you currently have.

Also they can always use the excuse that it is not Thailand Elite that is doing this but really the department of land transportation. That is fine but they need to work something out with them to change the policy on this because it doesn't make sense.

I have received emails from TE that agree with me that says it does not make sense to issue a 2 year drivers license when the visa is for 5 years. So at the end of the day I have a visa I can stay here but the experience could be a lot better. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

I have a similar outlook but with other things... i.e. Cars are more expensive here...  My Son's education is more expensive here.... The combination of things which are more expensive for me in Thailand than the UK can be offset against the Tax I would otherwise have to pay in the UK, as long as I am significantly better off in Thailand, from a purely financial aspect it still makes sense to remain... 

2 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Richard Smith237 I think you make some fair points about the visa as far as the value over the long run that is personally not my issue. 

What my issue is is that I would not like to be downgraded in my ability to do things if I get a Thailand Elite Visa.

I had a 5 year license but now can only get a 2 year. It is not the end of the world just annoying since you would think a "Elite Visa" would not offer you less than what you currently have.

Also they can always use the excuse that it is not Thailand Elite that is doing this but really the department of land transportation. That is fine but they need to work something out with them to change the policy on this because it doesn't make sense.

I have received emails from TE that agree with me that says it does not make sense to issue a 2 year drivers license when the visa is for 5 years. So at the end of the day I have a visa I can stay here but the experience could be a lot better. 

Agreed...  and I too find it quite silly, or rather, I understand that I don't understand the legalities of the requirements for a Non-Immigrant visa being required for anything other than a Temporary Driving license. 

For Thai Elite to communicate with the Department of Land transport and instigate change in what may be a law (we don't know) is a big ask. 

I agree that experience 'could' be better, however, I can understand how difficult this could be for a company to implement these improvements when operating within a highly bureaucratic system. 

That said, one of the reasons I'm on a Thai Elite Visa is that I was not eligible for anything other than back to back Tourists Visa's and Visa Exemption Stamps, which over the past 14 years would have been quite troublesome - equally so, it was only since I was Married that I would have been on a Non-Imm Visa (except for the brief spells I was working in Thailand). 

Thus: When I tried to renew my 5 year Driving License (which I'd obtained while working in Thailand)  I found out that I'm not so 'Elite' after all !!!... heck, I'm not even as 'Elite' as those pesky Non-O retirees !!!.... I can only get a 2 year Temp License... 

Perhaps Thai Elite should just name it 'Long Tourist Visa'.... and remove the Elite part from the name, it's not Elite and it's giving people the wrong impression.... 

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But it isn't a tax.

But if that rationalization works for you -- cool. 

There are lots of ways to think of it.

Maybe like a confiscatory bridge fare over a crocodile infested moat to enter a Medieval castle to then be "welcome" to stay for the number of years you bought, and then tossed back out when the time comes? 

But, if by being here long term you had to pay tax... i.e. say 35% on your income...  

Then its equivalent to being taxed 35% on *US$750 per month.

I'm sure many of you are on more retirement than that and are staying in Thailand Tax Free... 

So, would you prefer to pay Tax in Thailand or Pay Thai Elite fees ?

In many countries, if staying longer than 90 days, and others, if staying longer than 180 days we are considered residents and taxed.... When compared to Tax - Thai Elite starts to look like a bargain !

*$750 x 35% = $262 per month x60 months (5 years) = $15750 (equivalent to 500,000 Baht)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  and I too find it quite silly, or rather, I understand that I don't understand the legalities of the requirements for a Non-Immigrant visa being required for anything other than a Temporary Driving license. 

For Thai Elite to communicate with the Department of Land transport and instigate change in what may be a law (we don't know) is a big ask. 

I agree that experience 'could' be better, however, I can understand how difficult this could be for a company to implement these improvements when operating within a highly bureaucratic system. 

That said, one of the reasons I'm on a Thai Elite Visa is that I was not eligible for anything other than back to back Tourists Visa's and Visa Exemption Stamps, which over the past 14 years would have been quite troublesome - equally so, it was only since I was Married that I would have been on a Non-Imm Visa (except for the brief spells I was working in Thailand). 

Thus: When I tried to renew my 5 year Driving License (which I'd obtained while working in Thailand)  I found out that I'm not so 'Elite' after all !!!... heck, I'm not even as 'Elite' as those pesky Non-O retirees !!!.... I can only get a 2 year Temp License... 

Perhaps Thai Elite should just name it 'Long Tourist Visa'.... and remove the Elite part from the name, it's not Elite and it's giving people the wrong impression.... 

I totally agree the problem is the name. You are paying for a long term tourist visa. If that was the impression when sold originally then there wouldn't be this shock when they issue you a 2 year license and not your original 5 year. I think TE can make sense if you are young and don't qualify for a retirement visa but once you are over 50 TE can't really offer you much. Lets say someone signs up for the 20 year visa when they are 40 then they would have 10 years of basically no advantage in some ways less advantage since they would have to renew their license so often.

12 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

I totally agree the problem is the name. You are paying for a long term tourist visa. If that was the impression when sold originally then there wouldn't be this shock when they issue you a 2 year license and not your original 5 year. I think TE can make sense if you are young and don't qualify for a retirement visa but once you are over 50 TE can't really offer you much. Lets say someone signs up for the 20 year visa when they are 40 then they would have 10 years of basically no advantage in some ways less advantage since they would have to renew their license so often.

I'm not so sure about 'no advantage'....  I've been Married for 9 years (erm, I think...) so I am eligible for the Type O Marriage Visa....(or a visa based on supporting my Son).

According to the T&C I signed at the time my membership is transferable. I've been offered 1MB for my Elite Visa, which If I understand it provides the 'purchaser' (person buying membership off me) the same terms (AOT Transport, Airport service, Golf, Massage etc), but for only for 20 years (from date of Purchase).

But, the Thai Elite Visa has been of such convenience I figured it was worth keeping, for the speedy pass through Immigration, someone picks up my baggage, we head straight through customs and into a waiting car...  Then there's the Yearly Medical, Massage and Golf if you want it... 

I consider renewing my Driving License as much hassle as waiting in an Immigration Queue for an hour after a long flight... and a lot less hassle than renewing my Type O visa at Chaeng Wattana on a yearly basis. 

I don't like renewing my Driving License every 2 years, but while we're at it, shouldn't we also be cliticising the need to renew every 5 years.... especially in a country with such poor quality of testing. Why not provide foreigners living here with a license for 25 years and be done with the 5 year renewals?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure about 'no advantage'....  I've been Married for 9 years (erm, I think...) so I am eligible for the Type O Marriage Visa....(or a visa based on supporting my Son).

According to the T&C I signed at the time my membership is transferable. I've been offered 1MB for my Elite Visa, which If I understand it provides the 'purchaser' (person buying membership off me) the same terms (AOT Transport, Airport service, Golf, Massage etc), but for only for 20 years (from date of Purchase).

But, the Thai Elite Visa has been of such convenience I figured it was worth keeping, for the speedy pass through Immigration, someone picks up my baggage, we head straight through customs and into a waiting car...  Then there's the Yearly Medical, Massage and Golf if you want it... 

I consider renewing my Driving License as much hassle as waiting in an Immigration Queue for an hour after a long flight... and a lot less hassle than renewing my Type O visa at Chaeng Wattana on a yearly basis. 

I don't like renewing my Driving License every 2 years, but while we're at it, shouldn't we also be cliticising the need to renew every 5 years.... especially in a country with such poor quality of testing. Why not provide foreigners living here with a license for 25 years and be done with the 5 year renewals?

Agreed the drivers license testing is a joke. I am just saying I would rather save the money if I had the option of getting a retirement visa. I have the 5 year easy access so I am not seeing a lot of the benefits you are with the 20 year membership.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My thanks to the OP for confirming the Elite Visa is for those people with more money than sense.

I'm sure that statement is true for a very few folks who have that visa, but I tend to think that most folks that can afford and have or are considering the TE have both a good amount of money AND a fair dose of common sense.

I'm sure that a few folks that have the TE probably hit the lottery or inherited from mom and dad or maybe won a big lawsuit, but I'll bet the majority of folks worked hard for a lot of years, maybe built and sold a company or a patent, spent and invested wisely, (had the sense to know a good thing when they saw it), probably in something intangible (just like the TE), such as equities or bonds.

I'll bet the folks with money and common sense have no problem paying for something they want, in the case of the TE, the privilege of entering and leaving Thailand at their pleasure with no muss, no fuss and without being a plaything of civil service grunts; I'll also bet that while they're here, they're spending a lot more money on other things that a lot of other folks think is a waste of money

• Like 2

On 3/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, flyingsaucersarereal said:

fast access through the airport

That's the best part , so you can take a selfie in the VIP shuttle bus and post on Facebook. Look at me, I belong to the elite crowd! Worth 500k alone. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Aside from the first world social benefits that exist in NL, you're taxed because you're living in a country which allows you to earn a decent western income. Complain about high taxation rates in your home country if you like, but justifying the Elite visa fees on these grounds is quite a stretch. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, balo said:

That's the best part , so you can take a selfie in the VIP shuttle bus and post on Facebook. Look at me, I belong to the elite crowd! Worth 500k alone. 

No VIP bus for you. Only the use of an AOT provided BMW 7 series Limo. No credit facility or 'Try before you buy' either on offer for those that cannot afford the service.

16 hours ago, myshem said:

And then you were able to come back by land ?

The two nice immigration officers made it clear I was not banned or blacklisted from Thailand and I could come back.  They however, did not give me any guarantee I would be turned away again.  They suggested spending more time out of Thailand, the 1st officer said at least 1 month between visits and the other said I should spend at least 2 months between visits.  

I started to chat with one of them after I showed him my investment portfolio and how much/often I receive money from investments.  He seemed rather interested and asked a little about crypto currencies as some of this Thai friends were invested.  If he was just fishing for information to use against me he was excellent at his job as he came off as a friendly guy.  He told me he just started working at immigration and handled mostly paperwork and there was nothing he could do for me and he was just following orders.

After I left the immigration office and handed over to the Airasia rep assigned to me as they were now responsible for me, he pulled me aside away from the older grumpy looking immigration officers and told me not to come back to Don Meuang (DMK) as they do this a lot and if I don't get the Thai Elite card he said to only enter by land or fly into Phuket if I had to fly in.

Currently Im back in the Philippines about to start the Thai Elite card process but the idea of handing over 1,000,000 baht to a corrupt immigration system just rubs me the wrong way so its making it difficult.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's a good joke, but seriously do the Elite limos from BKK go into the Pattaya area or not?

Advanced member with 48k posts but you cannot google it or visit TE website for more info?
I'll give you this one for free. BMW 735 is only for trips within Bangkok area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's a good joke, but seriously do the Elite limos from BKK go into the Pattaya area or not?

555......Not to my knowledge, my friend has a 5 year one and the limo is around BKK and he said not all BKK is covered

On 3/19/2019 at 5:43 PM, myshem said:

So when a wife wants to divorce you just accept and then have to pay 500k to stay ?

What about trying to become a man before blaming the system ?!

I divorce when I want, not when any other persons wants !

if your wife wants to file for divorce, it will happen dude

if you don't show up for the planned court date, that will mean you don't have any more to say to defend yourself, that is THAI LAW, look it up, you might look smarter  than the

"i divorce when I want" bullshit

another clueless keyboard warrior

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, bkk6060 said:

If I were about 40 and inherited a fair amount of money, I would consider it.

Otherwise, seems like a huge waste of money...

a lot of I's

I have a daughter & a psychotic wife

i'll take elite over losing the right to be with my kid because of some crazy bitch out for revenge (mine)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

On the upside, they'll be happy to drop anyone off at eastern bus terminal in Ekammai... 

It might be more fun to order the limo drive to drop you off at a homeless shelter. Do they have homeless shelters in Bangkok? Would the Elite Card people cancel your membership for being a hobo? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

The Elite visa is not only for rich people under 50 years old.  I'm a 'poor' teacher, almost 60 years old.  I have had an Elite visa for several years, and for one primary reason ==> I do not have to deal with the BS and corruption from IOs and the endless demands for paperwork and documents that pry into my private life, just to be allowed to stay for 12 months in Thailand.

My privacy is worth 500,000 baht every 5 years ????

(Apologies to IOs who don't fit into the above description - you are a rare breed).

Understood, but you still need to do 90 address reports, TM30's, etc. right? 

• Like 1