Thailand Elite Visa flaws my review!

2 minutes ago, galt67 said:

Yes, there IS a 'risk.'

And I have been warned multiple times, by multiple people, over the past 20 years about the 'risks' of traveling to Thailand, EG., coups, SARs, bird flu, tsunami, airport closure, etc.

Perhaps better for some to NEVER leave their home country, avoid ALL visa 'risks', and pretend they're leading 'risk-free lives.'

Please do not alter the emphasis in my posts. You do your posts, not mine,

I agree. Traveling abroad is risky. Staying at home is risky.

I was talking though SPECIFICALLY about the visa promise when buying an Elite Card.

I think people assume that visa promise is 100 percent guaranteed for the length of the card.

I don't see it that way. 

• Like 2

The whole country is fickle
I actually just got my 5 year today on arrival, lets face it, it's just lining somebodies pocket very high up the food chain but it gives you a couple of perks and takes away some of the worry for repeat entries like mine

Not old enough for retirement and already had two marriage visas that were a nightmare and expensive to obtain
Never had an easy run with immigration here and tried to do everything by the book

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 3/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sheryl said:

But you have to travel to their office and drop off your passport, then travel back again to pick it up. How is this better than making a single trip to immigration to do it yourself? To me, it is more work, not less. 2 trips instead of one.

Well, i literally spend less than 60 secs in the agency each time. If i wanted i could of course go to the immigration directly but this has always taken me a significant amount of time. Also, leaving it to the agency ensures no need for TM30 etc all those little problems go away. Another option would be to not bother doing 90 day reports at all and to simply leave the country every 90 days. By doing this i would never need to go to the immigration office until 2036 for anything (can get a new 5 yr visa on arrival at the airport). I am usually going to the city a few times a week anyway so it is no inconvenience for me to hand my passport to the agency. Of course, if you live a long way out of the city then of course this will be more of a factor for you than it is for me.

I am 40 years old. I just want the easiest way to legally live a quiet life in Thailand without getting married. I am primarily interested in the visa, all the additional services are nice but even if it had none of these i would still have bought it. I have been very pleased with the services though especially at the airport. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, Jingthing said:

Please do not alter the emphasis in my posts. You do your posts, not mine,

I agree. Traveling abroad is risky. Staying at home is risky.

I was talking though SPECIFICALLY about the visa promise when buying an Elite Card.

I think people assume that visa promise is 100 percent guaranteed for the length of the card.

I don't see it that way. 

How about this then.... its been 100% for the past 14 years I've used it...  no issues....

But, you could fall out the back of a Baht Bus and sadly succumb to your injuries - thus you've not used your full 5 years.... nothing is 100% guaranteed - but the track record of Thailand Elite has been 100% operational and reliable despite some scandals in the past.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 9:48 PM, richard_smith237 said:

That was when they were offering 20 years for 2 MB (including perks)... If I'm not mistaken the 1 MB for 20 years without perks (I think) came later.

yes correct - which makes it a good value option for people who don't need the perks. Also protects you agst inflation, I doubt in 5 years time the 5 year Visa will still be the same price.  Risk/Reward decision to be made between the big discount between 5 and 20 years and the doomsday posters who say the thing will blow up within a short time (given how many regime changes it survived already I cant agree with their pessimistic outlook). 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:08 PM, Jingthing said:

No. It's a valid option for some. I am concerned they promised time terms will fully be honored. Does the contract allow them to back out of that later without grounds such as criminal convictions? What about health insurance requirements? Isn't that a risk too that the Elite people will be required if when all long stayers are?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That was the concern when it was started 10 or 15 years ago they're still going strong so I doubt it.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, simon43 said:

Nope - All I want is a quiet life in Thailand, with no visa hassles, good medical insurance, a pretty rural house and some nympho wench who forces me to perform all kinds of perverse sexual acts on demand.... (I haven't found that last item yet!)

If and when you do find the last one, I would appreciate a PM letting me know where you found it and if they're anymore available.

Thanks

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:38 PM, Anythingleft? said:

The whole country is fickle
I actually just got my 5 year today on arrival, lets face it, it's just lining somebodies pocket very high up the food chain but it gives you a couple of perks and takes away some of the worry for repeat entries like mine

Not old enough for retirement and already had two marriage visas that were a nightmare and expensive to obtain
Never had an easy run with immigration here and tried to do everything by the book

I'm sitting in the Philippines absolutely bored having been denied entry to Thailand on 3/18.  I recently applied for the 20year Thai elite card and now waiting for the background check.  The email Thai Elite sent me said the background check can take 30 days to return and the whole process can take 60 days.  I am hoping these time frames are worst case scenarios as I will be on the first plane back once it's ready.

Do you remember the time table it took to get your Elite Visa?  I've read some reviews that it only takes 18 days from the day you apply and send in a copy of your passport and photo, but recent experience such as your own would be great to hear.

Thanks

I was actually seriously considering this, but in the light of recent big joke reporting announcements I think I'll add Thai Elite Visa to another extremely bad value for money in Thailand. Just the thought of my wife getting fined 10,000 baht for spending a night in her house or her mother getting fined if we pay her a visit makes me sick to my stomach.

• Like 2

I'm sitting in the Philippines absolutely bored having been denied entry to Thailand on 3/18.  I recently applied for the 20year Thai elite card and now waiting for the background check.  The email Thai Elite sent me said the background check can take 30 days to return and the whole process can take 60 days.  I am hoping these time frames are worst case scenarios as I will be on the first plane back once it's ready.

Do you remember the time table it took to get your Elite Visa?  I've read some reviews that it only takes 18 days from the day you apply and send in a copy of your passport and photo, but recent experience such as your own would be great to hear.

Thanks
Took 5 weeks give or take a day for the acceptance (British)

Transferred payment online and was met at the airport for the stamp which all took about 15 minutes to process....

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 7:08 PM, Jingthing said:

No. It's a valid option for some. I am concerned they promised time terms will fully be honored. Does the contract allow them to back out of that later without grounds such as criminal convictions? What about health insurance requirements? Isn't that a risk too that the Elite people will be required if when all long stayers are?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They state  they can change anything at anytime.

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, krey said:

1. If you are in Bangkok Chiang Mai and I believe Phuket you can give the 90 day report to a visa service company in the city, talk to Thai Elite which one, they will take care of the whole thing for you and there is no charge at all.   If you are not in a major city like that then yes you have to do your 90 day report but you could also do that via online

2. Yes the yearly you have to pay the 1900 if you do not leave for a full year, if you leave during the year it resets every time you enter the country.  That 1900 baht year report can also be done by the visa service company (not free this time, still need the 1900) if you are in one of the bigger cities mentioned

3. You also get a free taxi ride when you come back to Thailand via an international flight, though surely it has its limits, they will drive you to your hotel, home etc if it is somewhat close by, no 10 hour taxi drives etc

The best thing about the 5 year visa if you are under 50 years old is the no worrying.  No need to go to schools, get tested at immigration, go back and forth on tourist visas to other countries praying that you will not get rejected at the border, no shady ED visas where you do not know every 90 day if this will be your last etc... 

It is pricey and you got to pay it all up front which is the tough part.  Not everyone wants to drop 500 000 Baht at one go and you also need to think are you going to stay here for 5 years as well.

On 3/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

Don't get the fuss about the 1900thb, do u never travel out of thailand? 

That's what its mainly uses for tho... The airport transfer is quite useless without traveling. 

20 year visa for 1 mio thb is better value for money but doesn't include aot limousine service if someone just wants to stay here... 

Also u can do 90 day reporting online or send the line man over there... No need to waste ur time in immigration. 

If you don't stay in the kingdom more then 90days everything is stright forward . Travel, I'm a senior citizen and Look forward to going places

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sheryl said:

But you have to travel to their office and drop off your passport, then travel back again to pick it up. How is this better than making a single trip to immigration to do it yourself? To me, it is more work, not less. 2 trips instead of one.

If they truly want to offer a service for 90 day reports they should pick up the passport from you and drop it back off. Including for those not living in the few places where TE has an office.  Easy enough to do nowadays with services like Kerry.

AND also do the TM30s.

I recently looked over the TE. I have a retirement extension so it is not necessary but I was curious to see what it offered, had it be any significant benefit beyond a 5 year visa I might have considered it. I was struck by the  absence of any meaningful benefits other than the visa which is worth the money only for those without other options i.e. under 50 and not married to a Thai.

They could do much better and attract more people but it would need some consumer research which, from the current design, they don't seem to have done.

Still, it is the only really reliable option for those not eligible for retirement or marriage extension wishing to live here.

Exactly.

If I were the head honcho at TE, and if I were sitting down with the liaison person at immigration, I'd ask something like this:

"How are we supposed to pitch our program to prospective customers when you people still require them to jump through innumerable, ridiculous TM30/TM24 hoops and generally treat them like crooks on probation?"

The value of the visa for those whose top (or only) priority is simply to be left alone by immigration just took a big hit with the latest changes at CW, IMO.

• Like 2

Sadly, you discovered everything is a BIG rip off in Thailand, but at least you now know.  Many still see it as retirement Hedonism.

Edited by mike787
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

Sadly, you discovered everything is a BIG rip off in Thailand, but at least you now know.  Many still see it as retirement Hedonism.

Maybe for you.

Mike 787.

It is all much much less of a rip off for many, including me.

Sex, golf, food, apartment much much less then my home country.

This place is cheap and still considered as one of the least expensive places in the world to live by most publications.

Not a BIG rip off at all.  Unless, a person is stupid enough to allow themself to be ripped off.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Heck, at 500,000 b you are more then half way to buying a condo in Pattaya or some other place in the country.

It seems to be a rip off.

What about a METV or any type?

Several reports of METVs getting declined. Have to border run all the time...

Can get METV only in home country anyway - business class flight to europe costs more than Thai Elite....

For 500k you get nothing in Bangkok, 1 mio for 20 years is not a bad deal, 50k for year ... that's like 1 month rent for most here. Not a deal breaker, and the taxes one safes here compared to europe if one has passive income make it totally worth it.

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I never went anywhere in person and if u politely ask them to pick up your passport at your condo they do that, however i don't bother them and send them a courier instead.

You are wrong about the consumer research too, they send out surveys regularly, in general they care about what their customers want but are dealing with a hardline fraction in the gov who doesn't give a damn i guess.

If you ask them about Tm30 requirements, and they say to contact them if there are problems and not to pay a fine in any case as it's landlords responsibility - i don't know if that works in reality. 

1) They don't pick up your passport. At least not in BKK, anyway. I asked about this yesterday when I was at the TE office, and I was told "we don't provide that service."

2) I don't recall saying anything about consumer research.

3) When it comes to TM30s, you're on your own.

• 3 months later...

Here is the latest THAI ELITE BS
They know damn well after the 5 year stay is up you are entitled to an extra 11-12 months if you time you exit and entry just right... So look at the latest lies they are publishing... an insult to those of us with intelligence. The length of your stay will be terminated? nope thats the way it should be and if it is i will not renew for sure...

unnamed.thumb.jpg.633f5c28f41bd86521c6d9821354f038.jpgg now? what an isult to

Edited by djlest
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, djlest said:

Here is the latest THAI ELITE BS
They know damn well after the 5 year stay is up you are entitled to an extra 11-12 months if you time you exit and entry just right... So look at the latest lies they are publishing... an insult to those of us with intelligence. The length of your stay will be terminated? nope thats the way it should be and if it is i will not renew for sure...

unnamed.thumb.jpg.633f5c28f41bd86521c6d9821354f038.jpgg now? what an isult to

LOL. worst sales team ever... jeez.

Someone thought he's clever writing that but clearly isn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

LOL. worst sales team ever... jeez.

Someone thought he's clever writing that but clearly isn't.

Just poor english, thats all. I find that all over Asia, they know how to write English but really dont

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

So let me get this straight.... the incentive to renew and waste a years Permission to stay, which cost perhaps 83,000 baht, is a 15,000 baht discount? 

Did I get this right? They seem to say that any stay beyond the TE expiry date would be illegal. So if you enter on the last day of membership and immigration give you a one year stamp your stay beyond the existing membership is illegal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Did I get this right? They seem to say that any stay beyond the TE expiry date would be illegal. So if you enter on the last day of membership and immigration give you a one year stamp your stay beyond the existing membership is illegal.

Yep, that's how I read  / interpret it....