Has Living in Thailand (Pattaya?) Killed Your IQ?

Anagami

Before I came to Thailand, I did an IQ test.

Now, several years later, I did it again here in Thailand.

The results astonished me. I scored more than 20 points lower.

I never scored so low on any IQ test previously.

I noticed that I could still do the questions, but they felt harder, and so I was doing them slower (...and had to guess because I was running out of time).

I am curious if living in Thailand has killed my IQ... and if it has a comparable effect on other expats.

The question is: Does the Thai stupidity rub off on us expats? Do we become like them if we live here long enough? Do we lose our ability to think and analyze in logical ways? Have we spend too much time in the sun? 

5 minutes ago, Anagami said:

Does the Thai stupidity rub off on us expats? Do we become like them if we live here long enough?

If you became more like them, then you would not likely call an entire race of people stupid... 

7 minutes ago, Anagami said:

Have we spend too much time in the sun? 

You don't know that too much time in the sun is not good for you? I'll go with this choice then.. though I can think of other reasons. 

1 minute ago, Justin Side said:

Choosing to live in Pattaya requires a pretty low IQ to start with.

I see. ???? I suppose all the smart ones live in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, breathing some of the worst air in the world. Or paying double in Phuket for everything.

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

If you became more like them, then you would not likely call an entire race of people stupid... 

You don't know that too much time in the sun is not good for you? I'll go with this choice then.. though I can think of other reasons. 

For the record, when I say 'Thai', I am referring to their culture, not their race. There is a major difference. Their race has nothing to do with their stupidity.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe too much time with the bottle ? + getting older + a more "nevermind" attitude.

I don't drink (or whore, for that matter), which makes me a bit of a rarity in Pattaya.

I still haven't made up my mind about the 'mai ben rai' attitude towards everything. It has its upsides and downsides.

7 minutes ago, Anagami said:

For the record, when I say 'Thai', I am referring to their culture, not their race. There is a major difference. Their race has nothing to do with their stupidity.

REALLY.... and I thought one can not go without the other

8 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

Choosing to live in Pattaya

I can think of worse places...obviously there are some bad spots in the city center that are unattractive,the traffic can be horrid and the drains stink !!! and beach/water quality  questionable,

but some people like the hustle and bustle..the night life and all the conveniences a city like Pattaya offers despite its many faults.

1 minute ago, Anagami said:

Why is that? Culture and race are two different things. I am not sure why we have to conflate them.

you said """Their race has nothing to do with their stupidity""" please clarify which one you are referring to, since you said the race has no relationship to their stupidity one has to assume you are referring to the Thai culture as being stupid, now the Thai culture does apply to the Thai race adding them up = culture and race stupidity,  it's an easy calculation 1+1=2 but I could be wrong 555

29 minutes ago, Anagami said:

The results astonished me. I scored more than 20 points lower.

I never scored so low on any IQ test previously.

I noticed that I could still do the questions, but they felt harder, and so I was doing them slower (...and had to guess because I was running out of time).

You can't blame the Thais or Thailand for your low IQ issues.  Take some personal responsibility. 

Their race has nothing to do with their stupidity.

The above statement says it all:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

//Closed//

Archived