Feeling 'eyed' by Thailand and what I'm planning on doing about it

Gecko123

As 'bad' as it has gotten here, it's still the best place to be. Name me a place that doesn't totally suck if you really look at it. It's so easy to get pissed off by the various situations that constantly arise here, but it's just as easy to just say 'that's Thailand' and then notice all of the good things and reasons that you're really here for.  My cup is always full. ????

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

@Gecko123 - You mentioned: " Another thing that I realized when pondering purchasing a home, is that after 16 years in Thailand, getting a mortgage might be a little tricky, even though on paper, I probably could qualify." - For what it is worth, I think the biggest issue in being able to qualify for a mortgage will be your age. I think after a certain age banks no longer offer mortgages because of life expectancy. The cut off might be somewhere around the age of 65. Or they may only grant a mortgage if a very large down payment is made of well over 50%. I am no expert on this, but you may want to look into further if you are intent on ever buying a property in the US on credit. Best wishes.

In the US they offer mortgage insurance

If a borrower is older the bank will ask for it

The US and western countries are for males who want to be controlled by females and it is all a big game.

Dating 65 year old women, always talking politics and using it as a tool, paying 2,000 dollars a month for an apt. plus, governentt regulation, taxes, etc. etc. is certainly not my idea of a fun quality life. 

And some think the attitudes of people in these countries are friendlier?

Good luck to those who seek a better life there make sure please you come back and let us know how much those places suck also....

I ponder leaving Thailand everyday, I think because I live in Bangkok. I must admit to not liking it much, even though we live in a nice condo we own, in an areq that is well located and well serviced.

In the past I spent more time working off shore that living here so I found the place tolerable, if not actually in love with it. After not working last year I have decided to return to work, not because of the money but because it offers an escape. My wife loves BKK because it is convenient, so I am loath to make her move down south to a quiet beach. 

Once I fully retire, who knows.

Depends entirely on who you have around you as you move from old to very old. In my case, at 77 years of age, I am still lucky in that regard, and I'm far from convinced that the elderly are well looked after in my home country, the UK.

16 hours ago, baansgr said:

The whole feeling of being unwelcome is a large factor in most peoples outlook, whereas most countries welcome people with money willing to emerge into their country...Thailand is the total opposite...

What, because we, or I have money, I am expected to feel welcome in Thailand, let alone in any other country, come on mate, how do you think w.o.g.s., dago's, spiks, muslims, or anyone else not in their country feel from those born in their country. Multiculturalism like in Australia to bring all nationalities together, like I said, come on mate, I guarantee you most non Australia's don't feel welcome in Australia, even though they have that piece of paper that says they are Australian Citizens.

Me personally here in Thailand, feel out of place, but just shrug it off, most Thai's are uneducated, and those that are educated most likely got their education by doing teachers favors to pass them through, the only educated Thai's in my opinion are those who have experienced living overseas.

Thai's don't like farangs, they tolerate them, as we do foreigners in our own homeland, some stand out more than others, the ones on welfare pi$$ us off, but is it their fault or the governments for allowing them in without any qualifications to work, refugees aside.

This is not my country, I am not delusional that I will ever feel welcome here or secure here, however as long as I have money and private cover, I shall remain a guest here until either asked to leave or get fed up with all of Thailand's bad parts, e.g. when the bad, outways the good, then it will be back to the old country until I reassess my situation.

To end, Thai's think we are stupid, this is taught in schools, it's a mind set, but those who allow their minds to expand and question the teachings, the government, will want to get closer to the farang to ask the question, are these farangs actually stupid, do they do anything else than drink, take women for short/long time, and withdraw more than 10,000 baht a day from the ATM's machine, i.e. what makes them tick ? 

11 hours ago, Denim said:

All I get from these repeated   'leaving Thailand ' threads is that Americans seem to have higher expectations than other expats and are therefore more easily disappointed.

This is an interesting observation.

My take on this is that the reasons Americans may be more outspoken about some of the recent changes to immigration policy is that they are perhaps more sensitized to civil liberty issues than other nationalities. Every American on this forum grew up in an era in which issues regarding civil rights - whether racial, gender, sexual orientation, disability, employment, freedom of speech, or abortion - were rarely not in the news. "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," is the one fragment of the US Constitution every American can cite.

Whether people choose to ignore it or not, both the changes to the 800K requirement and the TM-30 Housemaster reporting requirement are clear infringements on your civil liberties. The 800K requirement has gone from being a once a year verification of sufficient financial means to a heavyhanded deprivation of access to your personal private property. While your property is certainly not being confiscated or seized, for five months out of the year you plain and simply no longer have access to $25,000 of your property, and for 12 months out of the year you no longer have access to $12,500 of your property. That's a big change which many see as an infringement on property rights.

The TM-30 Housemaster reporting requirement has effectively added a transaction cost to your freedom of movement whenever you leave the country, and depending on the whims of various immigration offices, even if you stay overnight in another province. How anyone can see that as anything other than an encroachment on your freedom of travel or movement is beyond me.

If it is true that Americans have been more outspoken on this issue than other nationalities, I would strongly disagree with those who have said that this is because Americans were the ones most abusing the income verification rules, and were caught with their pants down when the embassies stopped issuing verification letters. While I am certain there are plenty of examples from every nationality, my strong suspicion is that it was the British who were hit hardest by this rule change. My reasons for saying this are: (1) the unexpected and severe devaluation of the Pound following Brexit, and (2) the fact that British retirement entitlement programs are generally less generous than in the US. I would just like to add that I empathize with the British over this predicament, and am fully cognizant that the same situation could easily befall Americans, i.e., a currency devaluation and cuts to entitlement programs.

1 hour ago, Muzarella said:

For West Coast Americans, retirement in Mexico is a great option. Oaxaca, Guadalajara, Cancun, Veracruz, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, and similar beautiful areas are just a few hours fly to USA destinations, the living costs now similar to Thailand, with easy immigration rules and services, and affordable health insurance for foreigners. If my Thai wife was willing to move there, no doubts I will move now with 10 pesos for a dollar and real estate in its lower value ever.

It's 19 pesos to the dollar.

Veracruz? I don't think so.

Welcome to this thread --

12 hours ago, watcharacters said:

We're ALL on a timer.   Even at 70 it doesn't mean the OP can't  determine his chosen direction successfully and manage it.

Your discouraging words are on the depressing side to me.

I like your brief response very much. It's positive and says everything.

I turn 75 this year and I have been here 14 years. I am not wealthy as some are, but I have enough for me to live on and my wife and daughter are happy enough.

In all my 14 years here, I have never been treated or viewed, (to my knowledge), with distain or dislike.

Without exception, when I smile, Thai people return the smile. They are similar to us in that they don't go around with a fixed smile on their faces all day. I enjoy my interaction with the locals and those Thai people that I meet or meet up with. I speak some Thai and my listening skills, although poor, are improving.

I too do not enjoy my Immigration visits, but even if I were elsewhere, there would be something that I didn't like. Life is not perfect.

I do, however, plan carefully and monitor all money matters constantly. I have done that most of my working life. Sure, I've made mistakes and lost out on various money projects - who hasn't? But I just get on with it.

Many of us on TV or maybe not on TV, probably think in a similar way to me.

Many others will not think like that.

We make our own choices, decisions and plans - and we are each responsible to decide what is best for us. 

It is our own, individual responsibility - nobody else's.

I expect to stay in Thailand - unless I am told to leave. 

I have always, throughout my life, had an alternative plan. 

I still have.

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

So you are praying for a bubble to burst which will have millions people affected with many of them, no doubt losing their homes just because you decided to live your life in Thailand while others have actually stayed and contributed?

Yea, that's really nice of you. It makes you look like a really nice guy.

Remember how the bubble was created and who benefitted in the long run. Bubbles are always a form of financial manipulation and always eventually burst. Read some economic history. 

Many of the people who bought homes weren't qualified for such a big loan. Others had unexpected major life changes, but not the majority. Same bubble in car loans now in America. 

Cheap money helps fund bigger guv deficits and benefits the banks. The borrowers always get the shaft. 

Most of the folks you mourn for crated their own dilemma by reaching for things they couldn't really afford. Witness the huge credit card debt level now. 

Cheap money has only delayed and exacerbated the inevitable. 

If you consume more than you produce the end state will not be pretty, for individuals, companies, and countries. 

15 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If I were you, I would start the SSA immediately, without delay. There is no guarantee you'll even see age 70. Lots of people die before seeing a penny from SSA.

Thank you for your advice. In my case, I am not very concerned about getting my money's worth out of social security. For one thing, I have three siblings who were on SS disability from early adulthood, so from the standpoint of the overall benefit received by my family, if I never collected a dime, that would be OK with me.

8 hours ago, madmen said:

Who cares. Im in a farang ghetto lower sukhimvit and have zero to do with thais unless Im ordering drinks, food or an hourly rental. Thais do not exist in my world and thats perfect as I live my life exactly as I did in the west but with better climate and cheaper women.

I have no sympathy for those that moved to a thai ghetto and are trying to fit in. Your an alien, what did you expect?

Have to agree with that, happiest I was, living alone in my condo after giving up work....didnt have to deal with anyone Thai and was happiest had ever been here, left frequently so no 90 reports....life was wonderful. As soon as any beurocrazy or dealing with thais on the simplest thing life becomes complicated....what i find now is the absolute rudeness on a daily basis, that's from anywhere on the roads, supermarkets or malls...

Hello Gecko, I have been in Thailand since 1990.

I hope you have time to read my letter.

I am high educated and I have money.

I can't find anybody in Thailand to discuss about anything.

I do speak 7 languages.

There is no Dr. in Thailand could help me with anything and no Hospital.

During the years I found good Hospitals and educated people in Malaysia.

Only Chinese Doctors are good at the Hospitals. And Chinese people are educated. You want to move to Malaysia ,,, send me a massage and come to Langkawi. You shall find everything and good hospitals and respect from everybody but be careful about the Malay and Indians. They are disturbing and criminals. THE WEATHER IS HOT , NICE BEACH, GOOD FOOD, GOOD TAKE CARE, MANY TV PROGRAMS IN ENGLISH,,,, BUT,,,,, MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THAILAND,  BUT NICE, I am 70 + and has been round the World 4 times, I couldn't see any better and cheaper place.

If you have lots of money than go to Mauritius or Tahiti. Wish you luck. Al.

8 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Thank you for your advice. In my case, I am not very concerned about getting my money's worth out of social security. For one thing, I have three siblings who were on SS disability from early adulthood, so from the standpoint of the overall benefit received by my family, if I never collected a dime, that would be OK with me.

The decision about when to start an old age U.S. social security claim (early, full retirement age, or later) is a very personal decision, assuming people are making the decision based on what age makes the most sense for their personal financial situation. There are many factors that go into the decision. Statistics show the majority do start the claim at the earliest possible age, but only a subset of those people probably should have.

This is a topic well discussed before on the Home Country Forum. 

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Bald faced lie.

I'm sorry about that.  First count I got 19 but lowered it because I had to go through my fingers twice and might have made an error. 

I also didn't know how to count the atta-boys for anyone who also posts negative worse case scenario threads but think you should get an honorable mention for negative liking comments too. 

I would defer to your knowledge so if you could estimate how many posts you have made that are worst case scenario and negative visa policy and anti Thai government in general perhaps that would be a better way to record actual negativity.  How many negative worse case scenario, go somewhere else, posts do you figure you have made that are not in archived or closed threads? 

This topic I think is actually about paranoia with the "eyed" thing is surly a subjective measurement and has to do more with the OP's perception of reality than actual reality.  

Sorry again if I made a counting error.  My heart was in the right place and I do think you deserve an award for the most negative poster on Thai Visa.  Congratulations.  Maybe a contest or poll is in order for that? 

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm sorry about that.  First count I got 19 but lowered it because I had to go through my fingers twice and might have made an error. 

I also didn't know how to count the atta-boys for anyone who also posts negative worse case scenario threads but think you should get an honorable mention for negative liking comments too. 

I would defer to your knowledge so if you could estimate how many posts you have made that are worst case scenario and negative visa policy and anti Thai government in general perhaps that would be a better way to record actual negativity.  How many negative worse case scenario, go somewhere else, posts do you figure you have made that are not in archived or closed threads? 

This topic I think is actually about paranoia with the eyed thing is surly that is a subjective measurement and has to do more with the OP's perception of reality than actual reality.  

Sorry again if I made a counting error.  My heart was in the right place and I do think you deserve an award for the most negative poster on Thai Visa.  Congratulations.  Maybe a contest or poll is in order for that? 

I called you out on a BALD FACED LIE, and your response, more of the same. 

Your original post said this --

One of them is running 13 negative threads now.

Running clearly means current threads that the person started.

Note your game now of acting like you didn't say that when correctly called out for LYING.

If you don't like my threads or my posts, put me on ignore. 

The topics are the topics. 

Your weird obsession and distortions about my posting history are not this topic, or any topic.

1 hour ago, sanmyn said:

Hi..I live in a small friendly town called Naklua, an offset to Pattaya.

I have lived here over 20 years, single and retired from San Francisco. I speak little Thai but am welcomed by everyone; lots of smiles.

Being close to Pattaya, I share good medical care, hospitals and excellent food outlets. My condo, which I bought 12 years ago, is on the beachfront with a fabulous view, 10 floors, 2 to a floor. 

Most of my neighbors live in Bangkok and only come once or twice a year. I have kept my SF residence but rarely ever go back. 

Weather here is perfect for an older person, food is light and healthy, and the cost of living is about half of San Francisco. 

Why, aside from family, would I ever want to go back? 

Sure, you need some cash to live here. The Kingdom does not want to pay your medical bills. Keeping 800K in a Thai Bank insures a trouble free immigration. 

Overall, the freedom you enjoy here with little traffic enforcement allows a carefree existance. I drive slowly and carefully and have never had a motoring incident. And I am 83. 

For those seeking to retire and live a happy, low expense existance, I could not be happier living in LOS.

Gary H

very honest,realistic post.. i wish you well, over the next 10yrs or so.....

im a few yrs younger, but expect to live a similar life.

i will always keep my options open--can return to nz anytime, if i get sick or whatever, but i can also afford to pay a qualified, live-in nurse to take care of me, if i deteriorate too much..

at 83 what do you do to keep healthy and fully occupied ?  do you go to bars or have lady friends ?

16 hours ago, j8k said:

Thais hate foreigners, always have, always will. I am getting out before its too late.

The ordinary Thai people in general may hate some foreigners, Indians, Africans etc, but in my experience, they do not hate westerners, if you take away the queue jumpers, the majority of drivers and motorcyclists, I have only had kindness and honesty from them.

1 hour ago, sanmyn said:

I have lived here over 20 years, single and retired from San Francisco. I speak little Thai but am welcomed by everyone; lots of smiles.

Being close to Pattaya, I share good medical care, hospitals and excellent food outlets. My condo, which I bought 12 years ago, is on the beachfront with a fabulous view, 10 floors, 2 to a floor. 

Most of my neighbors live in Bangkok and only come once or twice a year. I have kept my SF residence but rarely ever go back. 

Weather here is perfect for an older person, food is light and healthy, and the cost of living is about half of San Francisco. 

Sure, you need some cash to live here. The Kingdom does not want to pay your medical bills. Keeping 800K in a Thai Bank insures a trouble free immigration. 

Overall, the freedom you enjoy here with little traffic enforcement allows a carefree existance. I drive slowly and carefully and have never had a motoring incident. And I am 83. 

For those seeking to retire and live a happy, low expense existance, I could not be happier living in LOS.

Gary H

It seems you have found your paradise.  Rock on. 

17 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

After having lived in Thailand for 16 years, I don't think I could transistion to another country without recharging my batteries back in the States for a while.

Perhaps you should look at things in another way after being here for so long, i.e. recognise that the Thai's and the Thai government only tolerate farangs because of their money, i.e. it contributes to their economy, we are foreigners, farangs, according to Google:  

Farang is slang commonly used as an insult to a person of white race, whose is either rude, or having extremely bad manners, or is poor.

So at least that way you know up front what your worth is to the Thai's and accept it.

Don't expect them to be on your level, their education and cultural differences doesn't allow for it, so the above out of the way, perhaps you should also look at relocating to another part of Thailand, maybe even consider taking on a partner, be it temporary or permanent, growing old and alone is not something I ever thought of, but after having remarried later in my years, I couldn't see myself ever growing old alone.

Going back to the US after so many years will be a real shocker for you, I am in rural Thailand, amongst the peasants as one farang said to me, a term I do not like, so as you see, it's a two way street, and when I return to Sydney once a year for a week, I cannot wait to get the hell out of there, skyscrapers, traffic, and people in their droves, everyone in a hurry, to think I used to be like that once upon a time, no thanks, never again.

Maybe your just having a bad day, a change in mood, some drink, others have hobbies, seek and ye shall find as the saying goes.

Good luck anyways, we are all going to the same place, wherever that is ????

17 hours ago, j8k said:

Thais hate foreigners, always have, always will. I am getting out before its too late.

Hate is a STRONG word, tolerate would be best used, HATE is what happened in NZ the other day, Thai's tolerate, that is their culture is you know anything about them. Safe travels ????

17 hours ago, j8k said:

My my, I thought posting anything negative about Thais has been forbidden by Article 11 of this rather undemocratic board.

1 hour ago, sanmyn said:

Gary H

Great spot, spent a week there last year, village type atmosphere from the old country, e.g. Balmain NSW Australia, could live there quite easily, especially with water views from an apartment.

Good story for a change. 

16 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If I were you, I would start the SSA immediately, without delay. There is no guarantee you'll even see age 70. Lots of people die before seeing a penny from SSA.

Next, move to a city in Thailand away from the village. Most cities have pretty good hospitals. Even consider buying a condo in Pattaya. Pattaya has some good hospitals. Condo living is pretty good, most have at least one restaurant, laundry services, personal unit cleaning services, a pool. You'll make lots of friends in Pattaya.

Jomtien immigration is friendly and generally OK. Pattaya is also close to BKK airport if you need to get a flight out quickly.

Great post and I totally agree with everything you said.  The OP might be far happier in a city like Pattaya with people from everywhere.  I started in Rayong and always felt like the local Thais were staring at me--usually I was the only farang at Home Pro or Index.  When my partner and I moved to Pattaya suddenly I was no longer a curiosity.  Lots of support services, great hospitals, wide range of condos to either rent or buy, restaurants galore, great shopping choices, movies, recreation...  Maybe give it some consideration.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Thais get nastier and more aggressive each year. You can be ripped off by random police officers waving you over to a desk that looks like a lemonade stand to ask you, "How mut you gib me?" And everyone wants to cheat you.

Sounds like you're stalking the sois too much. 

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

Great post and I totally agree with everything you said.  The OP might be far happier in a city like Pattaya with people from everywhere.  I started in Rayong and always felt like the local Thais were staring at me--usually I was the only farang at Home Pro or Index.  When my partner and I moved to Pattaya suddenly I was no longer a curiosity.  Lots of support services, great hospitals, wide range of condos to either rent or buy, restaurants galore, great shopping choices, movies, recreation...  Maybe give it some consideration.

I made a decision early in life to generally disregard what people thought of me. A jewel of wisdom from my mother. 

I personally don't care if people stare at me.

I Do care what my Lady, her family, and my neighbors think of me. I have earned their respect and value it. 

Strangers are, well, strangers. Why would I care?

A possible upside to being an 'unknown' to people is that they generally approach you with caution. Works for me. 

Archived