Feeling 'eyed' by Thailand and what I'm planning on doing about it

Gecko123

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Plenty of available women in every 3rd world country.

One's much the same as another.

Plenty of available women in every country, period. You think a blind man asks where the kitty is from or whose mouth is on his johnson? ????

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GalaxyMan said:

Plenty of available women in every country, period. You think a blind man asks where the kitty is from or whose mouth is on his johnson? ????

Availability is there. Cost is a different issue.

Lots of varying opinions on this subject with comments on Thais disliking foreigners and immigration rules becoming tougher but has anyone considered that the hostile immigration policies and the many instances of racial bigotry coming from our home countries toward foreigners may have a tad influence on how we get treated abroad. You reap what you sow.

Just saying like..... 

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I think the attitude was summed up when I waited in line at the big C in Patttaya while a middle aged Thai woman argued with the teller over coupons being valid or not.  This went on for quite some time and I let out a sigh.  She turned and yelled at me "THIS IS MY COUNTRY NOT YOURS!"

In the UK it's Brexit and USA it's Trump in NZ it is shootings at a Mosque.  In Thailand it is a cashier at Big C.  Does anyone find this difficult to understand?  It's called populism or Xenophobic populism. 

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I think the attitude was summed up when I waited in line at the big C in Patttaya while a middle aged Thai woman argued with the teller over coupons being valid or not.  This went on for quite some time and I let out a sigh.  She turned and yelled at me "THIS IS MY COUNTRY NOT YOURS!"

and did you say "thank god for that"

31 minutes ago, Caledonia Boy said:

Lots of varying opinions on this subject with comments on Thais disliking foreigners and immigration rules becoming tougher but has anyone considered that the hostile immigration policies and the many instances of racial bigotry coming from our home countries toward foreigners may have a tad influence on how we get treated abroad. You reap what you sow.

Just saying like..... 

the average thai including and especially immigration officers dont have a clue about such things. some european countries have opened the doors to unvetted migration and to boot provide them with housing and money.  reap what you sow should in such cases mean thelaind welcome us all and give us free housing and food.

I'm a decade younger I can understand your feelings I've been coming to Thailand for the last 12 years (mostly during winter season) and I've got the same feelings about Thai towards me,I feel there's something change but I never feel insecure or unwelcome so far,I guess I'm lucky all the story I hear about Thai lady to farangs never near to happen to me and for clear things they are not rich but they all work and have good education...

If I can make a suggestion Oregon is probably for me the best place to stay in America ok Chang time ????

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I don't think it is absolute- but as a rule most Thais now hold Westerners  in low esteem until proven otherwise.

When I first came to Thailand in 1971- there were hardly any foreigners- a few Westerners and the Us Military-  many Thais were afraid of Westerners because they had no interaction with us.

As the years have progressed-  Foreigners- especially Westerners were held in High esteem- as we were well dressed; had money and acted politely.  This all changed with mass tourism and the growth of sex tourism. the more Westerners that came in  due to low cost flights brought in not only the good but also the bad.   In the early years- even with the US military on leave from Vietnam- I cannot remember foreigners acting up; criminals; overstays in numbers etc.

In the last 10 years- there have been almost daily reports of  Foreigners- mostly Westerners- getting into bar fights; killing each other; stealing; and just generally unable to hold their alcohol or committing a crime in Thailand. Throw in criminal Westerners posing as school teachers abusing children; running boiler rooms; selling drugs; robbing banks 

In addition- the advent of the social media-the internet and smart phones  means it is immediately  sent to millions. While we all know that locals have their good, bad and ugly; I believe that  abhorrent Westerner's stand out to Thais because most Thais  didn't expect there would be so many  Westerners that could cause so many social problems.

I try and keep smiling; treat people with respect and generally get a smile back. However, when I don't- I try and remember why.  

The bottom line is that while Thailand is  not as 'friendly' as it once was and there are myriad reasons for this besides  Western fatigue-  I would also postulate that our countries are not as friendly as they once were for also a myriad  of reasons.

Much simpler than this: familiarity breeds contempt. 

Westerners are nothing special anymore. 

As soon as Thais are familiar with Westerners they behave just as ugly and brutal as they behave between themselves. No more smile and gone are the niceties.

Pattaya is the real Thailand. Here Thais drop the mask and show their real personality.  Not a nice sight. 

10 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the average thai including and especially immigration officers dont have a clue about such things. some european countries have opened the doors to unvetted migration and to boot provide them with housing and money.  reap what you sow should in such cases mean thelaind welcome us all and give us free housing and food.

The average Thai's opinions have been heavily influenced by Thailand's compliant media which is eager to curry favor with the junta. Senior immigration officials certainly know what the long term strategy is, and I'm sure this has filtered down to the rank and file to one degree or another.

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The average Thai's opinions have been heavily influenced by Thailand's compliant media which is eager to curry favor with the junta. Senior immigration officials certainly know what the long term strategy is, and I'm sure this has filtered down to the rank and file to one degree or another.

You have not taken note of the populism in the UK, USA, NZ, Europe? 

14 minutes ago, uhuh said:

As soon as Thais are familiar with Westerners they behave just as ugly and brutal as they behave between themselves. No more smile and gone are the niceties.

Pattaya is the real Thailand. Here Thais drop the mask and show their real personality.  Not a nice sight. 

I gotta tell you they didn't much care for the millions of Americans that came here in the 1960's.  And were happy to kick us all out of the country in 1975 after we spent billions and built the infrastructure of the country. 

18 minutes ago, Bigstef said:

I'm a decade younger I can understand your feelings I've been coming to Thailand for the last 12 years (mostly during winter season) and I've got the same feelings about Thai towards me,I feel there's something change but I never feel insecure or unwelcome so far,I guess I'm lucky all the story I hear about Thai lady to farangs never near to happen to me and for clear things they are not rich but they all work and have good education...

If I can make a suggestion Oregon is probably for me the best place to stay in America ok Chang time ????

Say high to the Proud Boys in Oregon. 

https://www.thenation.com/article/afternoon-portlands-multi-racial-far-right/

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You are reading Thai visa too much.  Really nothing much has changed except the attitude of some key posters on here. 

One of them is running 13 negative threads now.  He was always negative for the 10 years of so I've been reading here but now it's getting extreme. 

I am in my 70's and nothing has changed for me.  If anything the people are getting nicer because the backpackers and skint expats are leaving. 

Thai's are going more online and that means more action for the fellows who can read and write Thai. 

I'd take a break from Thai Visa and associate with some less OCD types. 

We have always had the dumped guys but now add to that the visa runners and the ex pat fakers and it seems like a Tsunami of negativity. 

They'll be gone in a few months as things shake out and normalcy will return. 

I visit two Thai social streaming forums daily and I've seen more people wanting to meet me rather than less recently and I'm an old guy. 

The eye thing reminds me of the guys smoking for the first time and getting paranoid. 

I am very elderly now and I feel more at home in Thailand. The Thai people who always so nice.

They don't like the average foreigner who have come to live in Thailand these days. They are pretty lowlife. They only come here because it's cheaper than in their own country, many are just sexpats. They don't bother to make Thai friends or respect Thai culture.

If you live in places like Pattaya, Phuket or Samui. You won't experience the real Thailand and its people. 

sometimes there is local resentment but usually those resenting dont have much on the ball and little knowledge of anything outside of their country and the iq/critical thinking norm.  in non tourist and non expat areas seems pretty much the same, same trying to cheat you and cheat each other lol.  pattaya has a money grubbing nastiness. even a 7/11 employee literally asked me for a "tip" for giving me 2 .  10 baht coins for a 20 note. entertainment venue employees have gotten more self entitled literally demanding tips. gogo bars have become obesity showcase displays plus a 3rd grade mamasan annoying you to sell girls. some live music venues especially in pattaya have bands that are exceptionally nasty if you request a song they ask "how much you pay" first.

have always been eligible for a 1 year non O muliple entry visa but in the past could get it at a nearby country embassy or even mailing it but now 16 hours of flights, time and money.   

in a word "diminishing returns" and an "uninspiring society", pollution, immigration hassles.   ps; can speak, read and write and have local friends that did university in g7 countries, many great people.

40 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
55 minutes ago, uhuh said:

I gotta tell you they didn't much care for the millions of Americans that came here in the 1960's.  And were happy to kick us all out of the country in 1975 after we spent billions and built the infrastructure of the country

true but likely the us mil industrial complex made billions also on it and was it done to support us military bases in thailand?  

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I have been living here 19 yes. Now at the age of 69 I am feeling some insecurities too. ..But, unlike the OP, I reckon this is a natural feeling that comes from getting older, it is within me...not caused by outside circumstances.

You have earned Rumak's statement of the year  (SOTY) award.   From the posters I read here it seems there are a lot that have been here many, many years and are now experiencing this unfortunate but very common situation.  Each portion of ones life has its challenges, but we tend to look forward with more positivity when younger.  It ain't Thailand or the world that has changed so drastically .  Change has always been a fact of life, with old age being the final chapter.  SU SU .......as the Thai's say !  

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

The country is growing up & with it accepting some of the bad points of the western world,

but has not changed that much if you do not listen to the belly aching on this forum (silly old men) a lot of them

It's changed heaps in the last ten years.

When I first came a 1 year VISA for the over 50s was 120 pounds from the Thai consulate, no questions asked.

And the people had a democratically elected government.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

true but likely the us mil industrial complex made billions also on it and was it done to support us military bases in thailand?  

We were talking about Thai people not the military industrial complex.  There were a million Americans here and the Thais didn't much care for them.  This xenophobia is nothing new was my point. 

Yours is another story.  Did Thailand profit from the American military alliance?  It made Thailand the tiger of Asia and elevated it above all of its neighbors and gave it a head start that will never be erased.  

The American military industrial complex in Thailand built infrastructure and trained Thai workers and funded the Thai government for 10 years.  They left in 1975 and left it all behind. 

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

ya know don't touch IRA money. ????

Have a look at the attached article. It appears to be very shrewd advice, and I am following this strategy. The two points he makes are:

(1) it is smarter to start tapping IRA accounts first if it enables you to delay enrolling in SS because the 8% per year "raise" you get by delaying SS benefits is probably greater than the return you will receive on your IRA. Also, if you withdraw from IRAs after you have retired but before you start collecting social security, the tax rate on the IRA withdrawals will probably be lower than it would be if you wait until after you start collecting SS to make IRA withdrawals.

(2) mandatory IRA withdrawals after age 70.5, coupled with taxes on SS income, and taxes on other income could possibly put you into a higher tax bracket. He argues that it may be advisable to start withdrawing from IRAs in order to reduce your taxes later on when you start collecting SS.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/03/many-people-could-claim-a-larger-social-security-check-by-doing-this.html

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well you can't argue with that, " it is " and you should be more patient. ????

yes I can argue with it... so if a Thai or any immigrant comes to America or Britain or wherever i should assume it is my country not theirs?  this is your logic?

It ain't Thailand that has changed so drastically? That's debatable. Climate, congestion, social environment, road safety, immigration policy, political repression, income inequality, rural poverty? Those problems are real, brother, and they're not gonna go away simply by joining a Norman Vincent Peale study group :biggrin:. But I do appreciate your SU SU spirit!

Have a look at the attached article. It appears to be very shrewd advice, and I am following this strategy. The two points he makes are:  

(1) it is smarter to start tapping IRA accounts first if it enables you to delay enrolling in SS because the 8% per year "raise" you get by delaying SS benefits is probably greater than the return you will receive on your IRA. Also, if you withdraw from IRAs after you have retired but before you start collecting social security, the tax rate on the IRA withdrawals will probably be lower than it would be if you wait until after you start collecting SS to make IRA withdrawals.

(2) mandatory IRA withdrawals after age 70.5, coupled with taxes on SS income, and taxes on other income could possibly put you into a higher tax bracket. He argues that it may be advisable to start withdrawing from IRAs in order to reduce your taxes later on when you start collecting SS.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/03/many-people-could-claim-a-larger-social-security-check-by-doing-this.html

Well the easy raise on delaying ss makes sense. But I took the SS early because for my to pay out as much as my SS check would mean in excess of a 4 percent annual drawdown which is the standard limit for retirement accounts if you hope to outlive them.

But I get the other argument but still feel what I did makes sense for me.

Taxation on SS?

Are you really sure you'll owe even one dime on that regardless of when you start?

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.html

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm with you on this, I don't require my servants to love me, they just need to serve.

Although I live in a Thai area, I don't speak to them, same as I didn't speak to my English neighbours in the UK.

Hello, as I pass by, is about as close as I ever get.

Pretty sad way to live your life in my opinion, though I'm sure you don't care. You are also part of the problem why Thais do not care for us. I interact with Thais where I live and they are friendly, nice, interesting people. So I consider myself part of the solution. Pretty lonely existence for you. If you look at this world the only thing that actually counts for anything is friends, relationships, and love. All the rest doesn't count for much of anything.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:17 PM, Gecko123 said:

I know it sounds crazy, but even the village dogs seem to be more cranky as of late.

Crazy, yes.  But perception is everything.

I also started coming in the mid eighties so I know what you're saying.  There used to be a lot of concern of Thais losing their Buddhist principals with the looming western materialism.  Well, we're long paste that I'm afraid.

I have the same kinds of feelings you're describing.  But I remind myself that people everywhere have their stupid lights on.  America same same.

A friend posted on FB the question, "if you could live anywhere regardless of cost, where would it be".  It took me a while of pondering to realize the question should not be "where" but "when".

I still find the Thais a mostly gracious and generous people.  Never did care for the soi dogs.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, Leaver said:

A good and honest post.

I would say the Thai Government is not "at arms length" so much as having "their hands in your pocket."  ????

The Thai economy is not doing to well, so what do they do here, extort money out of farang, en masse. 

I expect things to be worse after the election, as an illegitimate Government arranges its own legitimacy, then anything is possible. 

I would like to say what you wrote are nearest to the truth.

I am looking a forum where there is no hold-bar, you can use 4 letters words, criticize the government, just say what is on your mind. If you come across such wonderful forum please let me know, I am often on this forum . Beatriz(a man masquerading as a french woman).

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

It ain't Thailand that has changed so drastically? That's debatable. Climate, congestion, social environment, road safety, immigration policy, political repression, income inequality, rural poverty? Those problems are real, brother, and they're not gonna go away simply by joining a Norman Vincent Peale study group :biggrin:. But I do appreciate your SU SU spirit!

The Gini wealth coefficient of USA and Thailand is the same 85.    Poverty declined substantially over the last 30 years from 67% in 1986 to 7.1% in 2015.  Maybe go back to school for a while and take a course on Thailand.  Flooding much less than when I first arrived here.  

Archived