Beef bones for dogs, where can you find them ? checked all major supermarkets

i would go and ask in the local wet market where you buy your meat, I am sure someone will get them for you for a price. 

On an aside, we live on a gated community and the security seem to have 'adopted' a local dog. Very quiet, well mannered, looks reasonably clean, ( but that is enough about the security ).....:tongue:. Anyway, last weekend we had roast leg of lamb from New Zealand, with the big bone in. (Makro 249 Baht a kilo !! ). I asked the wife to give the bone to security for the dog as it does a good job of keeping cats away from my gate. I have never seen such a contented animal for about three days as he lugged his new "Find" around. 

As written in post #3, you have to look at the markets in the morning where the butchers sell beef products. You might have to ask and order (might need picture and/or dictionary).

The butchers "slaughterhouses" are usually outside populated areas and a bit more difficult to find here in upcountry. Where do you live?

Can't remember having seen significant amounts at supermarkets.

Don't feed raw pork bones even if they are easy to find (Makro usually has plenty).

30 minutes ago, Arjen said:

All bones are OK for healthy dogs, but they must be RAW!!!! Never ever give cooked, baked, fried bones to your dog.

Arjen

Sorry but it's wrong, the only really safe bones are beef, but yes my dog is still ok wit pork bones, until he is not...

There's a lot of contradictory advice out there on feeding pork bones, some say ok, some say absolutely no.

Apparently pork and chicken bones can splinter even when uncooked.

I'm just trying to imagine our two chihuahuas with a beef leg bone ????

Other goodies at the market today :biggrin:

Tail and ear might be a good "toy" to chew on?

20190319_063716.jpg

What my wife buys has a lot of meat attached.

I was too late to take a picture of the complete piece.\

But I think it's breastbone(?).

20190319_064110.jpg

19 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I buy NZ legs of lamb from Makro, and get them to slice it up for my dogs - so they get both meat and bone.

Edit - Trying to find reasonably priced NZ sourced beef with bone, is very difficult, and normally far more expensive.

Let me see if I understand you correctly... You buy NZ lamb & feed it to your dog ??? I guess you're a regular lottery winner !

34 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Let me see if I understand you correctly... You buy NZ lamb & feed it to your dog ??? I guess you're a regular lottery winner !

???? I wish I was a regular lottery winner!  Unfortunately, I'm just an ordinary person - who spends FAR more on food (I trust) for my dogs than myself!

I'm probably being neurotic about it, but I don't trust Thai meat to not be full of hormones etc. ☹️.

Yes, NZ lamb is a lot more expensive than Thai meat - but minced NZ lamb and 'bone in leg' lamb is the cheapest alternative.  IIRC, minced NZ lamb is around 300 bht per kilo, and bone in leg lamb is around 250 bht per kilo.

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

???? I wish I was a regular lottery winner!  Unfortunately, I'm just an ordinary person - who spends FAR more on food (I trust) for my dogs than myself!

I'm probably being neurotic about it, but I don't trust Thai meat to not be full of hormones etc. ☹️.

Yes, NZ lamb is a lot more expensive than Thai meat - but minced NZ lamb and 'bone in leg' lamb is the cheapest alternative.  IIRC, minced NZ lamb is around 300 bht per kilo, and bone in leg lamb is around 250 bht per kilo.

Again I'd like a bit of reassurance please. Are you sure the 300 & 250 baht amounts aren't missing a zero ? You do say lamb... not mutton or camel. If I provide my own water bowl, blanket & prepared to sleep in your kennel, can I come live with you ?

I trust you realise this is written tongue in cheek.....

19 hours ago, malt25 said:

Again I'd like a bit of reassurance please. Are you sure the 300 & 250 baht amounts aren't missing a zero ? You do say lamb... not mutton or camel. If I provide my own water bowl, blanket & prepared to sleep in your kennel, can I come live with you ?

I trust you realise this is written tongue in cheek.....

No, the costs I quoted aren't missing a zero.

Check out Makro NZ lamb prices on minced and 'bone in leg' prices.

My dogs don't have a kennel, they sleep wherever they want both inside and outside the house - so sorry, no kennel available ????.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:04 AM, Arjen said:

I do not want to discuss about this. We prefer also beef bones. And we buy them from the market. We must order them, and then a few days later we get a big bag full with mostly legs, but also ribs and spines. I keep[ them a few months in the freezer to kill worms.

Anyway, I think your best bet is a local wet/fresh market.

hello, does it really work to keep bones in the freezer to kill worms ?

And how much do you pay bones ?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

No, the costs I quoted aren't missing a zero.

Check out Makro NZ lamb prices on minced and 'bone in leg' prices.

My dogs don't have a kennel, they sleep wherever they want both inside and outside the house - so sorry, no kennel available ????.

Even better. I'm happy to just curl up on the mat in front of the telly. After me belly full of lamb. Don't get much better than this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 8:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Don't feed raw pork bones

Forgive my ignorance, but this is the first time I've heard this. Why not? 

Ignore this question, I've found the answer in one of the following replies which I hadn't read yet. 

9 minutes ago, djayz said:

Forgive my ignorance, but this is the first time I've heard this. Why not? 

I would be concerned for the same reason as humans should not eat raw pork (meat). A bone will have more or less of meat.

Meat posing risk of having roundworms (nematodes).

I know that raw minced pork must only be eaten if the meat had been deep frozen (-30C or so) before.

Cooking the bone has the other risk. Bone might sliver/split.

We stopped using pork bones at all.

Archived