Billionaire-turned-politician Thanathorn to put assets into blind trust

webfact

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

In contrary, Thais almost uniformly say a bunch of nice things and then do all the wrong things. They, as a national characteristic, have a 'flexible' relationship with the truth. Truth/morality/law abiding are entirely unimportant to 99% of Thais (educated and not). 

For a good reason: The laws are passed by some old military farts in their ivory towers. Best ignored. Unfortunately the baby gets flushed to the Gulf of Siam with the bathwater.

4 hours ago, jumbo said:

I remember the same praises when Thaksin entered and we know how that story continues to roll out...

Taksin was an extreme case...he had 4 billion us$ and still refused to pay tax....if he just paid up he would still have 3 billion us$ plus a Thai passport and clean name.

FF or rwd?

This name came up in a recently overheard conversation. It certainly wasn't the only name mentioned, and probably most of the others also campaign in similar ways.

it seems bulk-buying is now very much the latest trend in urban areas. Several thousand goes to a tuk-tuk, who then organizes an entire load, but still keeps a significant amount. (The amount paid to each passenger sounded about the usual.) How they ensure the goods are delivered properly, I'm not sure, but there are always quite a few eyeballing these polling stations. Most people would probably think twice about trying to pull a fast one on on our low-riding four-wheeled fiends.

Perhaps a neat move to declare your assets in a closed trust.

The funding could be coming from elsewhere, perhaps not even at his behest. Loads of dirty tricks around. Perhaps this blind trust business is an attempt to fend off such moves. Perhaps the rumour is enough in itself to damage or enhance.

Superman, I think not. He seems to impress university students who are easily taken with a handsome man. (Abhiset is long past that!)

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Thaksin never did something like this in reality he actively used his power to promote his business interests and get richer. Thaksin is the prime example of a corrupt billionaire for who more is never enough. That is why he and his party should be avoided at all cost.

Exactly. I just seem to remember the Alpine Land scandal, tax evasion and rampant asset hiding, even in the name of his driver and maids, who had no clue they were being used to conceal Thaksin's assets.

I put all my liquid assets in a blind trust when I moved to Thailand - her name's Mrs. Djayz. I honestly don't have a clue where all myoney went to... ????

All joking aside, I don't believe a single word any politician - Thai, Irish, American, etc. - says. To be a politician you have to be dishonest, a liar, a cheat, a person who will tell the masses what they want to hear, when they want to hear it. 

This guy looks better than the rest, but I believe they're all cut from the same cloth. 

1 hour ago, firefox999uk said:

Thanathorn’s uncle, Suriya Juangroongruangkit, is a Thai politician who served as Minister of Transport of Thailand between 2002 and 2005. Suriya is currently one of the leaders of Phalang Pracharat, the most prominent pro-junta party.

Family get-togethers must be interesting.

His business dealings ring a nice bell for us westerners:

In 2005, Thanathorn struck a deal with the American auto-maker, Tesla to supply 500,000 cars per year. 

And proper reading habits too:

Asked about his media diet, Thanathorn says he reads foreign newspapers like The New York Times, The Economist, Financial Times, and Thai newspapers like Matichon and Krungthep Turakij (Bangkok Business).

Too bad he'd enter the arena completely crippled.

BTW wouldn't be surprised if he's reading TVF. Cheerio!

3 hours ago, firefox999uk said:

A very educated man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanathorn_Juangroongruangkit

I think he is what Thailand needs.

Have a Nice Day

Except that in Thailand, the educated use their education as weapons to enrich themselves at the expense of others. Thai have no cultural motivations toward ethical behavior, so education can actually be a very dangerous thing. 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, Fex Bluse said:

You are convinced he is of good intent simply on account of his announcement and a couple photos in the media? 

What else is there to go by? If he had not announced and not had a couple of photos in the media, but did a blind trust, would you applaud? Ah, but how would you know then he has a blind trust. From what I have heard from the Thais they speak well of him.

2 hours ago, Kasane said:

What else is there to go by? If he had not announced and not had a couple of photos in the media, but did a blind trust, would you applaud? Ah, but how would you know then he has a blind trust. From what I have heard from the Thais they speak well of him.

I respect your opinion. Many farang here in these forums seem convinced he might be a decent candidate. We will have to wait and see.

In 30+ years or Thai politics, I've seen many like him. Not a single one was genuine.

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

I respect your opinion. Many farang here in these forums seem convinced he might be a decent candidate. We will have to wait and see.

In 30+ years or Thai politics, I've seen many like him. Not a single one was genuine.

Reading your posts, every single one whatever the topic is derogatory towards Thais. i expect he could be the best PM in the World and you would still find a way to criticize him. 

3 hours ago, Kasane said:

By the way, to answer your first question. There is common sense which is substantially based on thorough understanding of Thai history. 

Are we to believe his family dealings have all been above board? A Thai Chinese billionaire family. No corruption? It's possible, but is it likely? 

Let's see him start at home, disclosing his wealth and an independent, outside audit. 

Just now, smutcakes said:

Reading your posts, every single one whatever the topic is derogatory towards Thais. i expect he could be the best PM in the World and you would still find a way to criticize him. 

They earn it. If all my posts were positive, would it be OK then? 

27 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I like to give credit where it is due, give criticism where it is due and remain hopeful on things until proven otherwise. 

I am the same way, but after 30 years of watching these people lie cheat and steal -- as a rule -- my trust is not won over so easily just because a guy went to New York University business school and learned all the right things to say. I've seen this game a hundred times by a hundred faces. They all end the same way.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

By the way, to answer your first question. There is common sense which is substantially based on thorough understanding of Thai history. 

Are we to believe his family dealings have all been above board? A Thai Chinese billionaire family. No corruption? It's possible, but is it likely? 

Let's see him start at home, disclosing his wealth and an independent, outside audit. 

Or show his tax returns, like Trump! 

Archived