BANGKOK 20 May 2019 03:32
TallScot1

Money transfer services for USA travelers

Would anyone have a recommendation for a Money Transfer service that will offer debit card capability for USA clients traveling in Thailand? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lipflipper said:

Transfer-wise is the best but I don't think they are offering a debit card at this time. That had been planned but so far it hasen't happened.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The debit card is available, but not in all countries yet. U.K. is one that comes to mind. Not available in Thailand yet.

• Like 2

I just transferred 12k from my checking acct. ….cost $0, took 2days. they have debit cards but I've never tried them.

27 minutes ago, tpiety2 said:

I just transferred 12k from my checking acct. ….cost $0, took 2days. they have debit cards but I've never tried them.

How did it cost "$0"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mosan said:

Come on man...  I use TransferWise, I pay fees and many others do also. Maybe you got a free or discounted on the first transfer as did myself and many others, but not free free free free free...

We're waiting...

Exactly. I got a referral link on my first transfer too. I think the total was US $6.00 the first time for a USD $1000 transfer.

• Like 1

can you use Transferwise without having a bank account in Thailand? 

• Like 1

Given that TransferWise doesn't deal with (issue ?) debit MasterCard (for Thailand, yet) can you send money using a Bangkok Bank savings account, or its linked debit MasterCard ? Note that I use that card now for on-line whatever outside Thailand.

thanks, ~o:37;

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

can you use Transferwise without having a bank account in Thailand? 

You can transfer from one country to another; bank to bank with minimal fees - much less than a bank would charge.

As I understand it, you can't transfer out of Thailand, only in.

Edited by elektrified

4 hours ago, orang37 said:

Given that TransferWise doesn't deal with (issue ?) debit MasterCard (for Thailand, yet) can you send money using a Bangkok Bank savings account, or its linked debit MasterCard ? Note that I use that card now for on-line whatever outside Thailand.

thanks, ~o:37;

You can send to Bangkok Bank savings account.  Don't about to it's linked card but it would seem unusual because a debit card does not contain money, does it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

You can send to Bangkok Bank savings account.  Don't about to it's linked card but it would seem unusual because a debit card does not contain money, does it?

Thanks, Dante !

In this case. the source of funds is my own BB saving acct., and the destination is in the US.

cheers, ~o;37;

But was the exchange rate competitive?

I have found that $0 cost promises are many times re-recouped by other means.

EDIT:

I see other posters have described this was some introductory benefit.