May's Brexit deal in chaos as Speaker sparks 'constitutional crisis'

webfact

Bercow had to follow the rules. There are too many eyes on this one for his usual bias. He’s saved May from a third surrender humiliation, but could have shot himself in his Remainer foot.
Much now depends on the EU unanimity for an extension vote on Thursday. That’s not guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three cheers for Saint Bercow, why on earth should May be allowed to bring the same deal back to the house again and again until she bores everyone into submission, if it is part of the speakers rules that this is not permitted in the same parliamentary session. Brexiteers will no doubt be scrambling around desperately to try and paint this as being some kind of conspiracy against them - beyond sad. The precedent goes back to 1604 for heavens sake, were they plotting against Brexit then? 

The greatest pleasure I have on hearing this news, is that the twisted religious fundamentalists of the DUP will miss out on their second bung. British politics was beginning to look worse than a fight in a Pattaya brothel to our EU friends. 

If that is indeed the case and dhe revokes article 50..methinks there is the possibility of massive unrest in the UK.

I do not think she can reword it and vote on it this week as I think she needs to give 3 sitting days notice.

That means she is going to the summit empty handed to ask for an extension, I think I know the answer, leave on the 29th or revoke article 50.

It will probably be an executive decision to revoke article 50 and she will retire gracefully. 

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, vogie said:

John Bercow knows the rules, but he only uses them for his own agenda. He is an europhile with 'blox to brexit' on his car. The speaker should remain impartial, but he is anything but. In his defence he knows many big words, so may be better suited chairing 'The Good Old Days'

Keeping to the precedents that govern parliamentary procedure is being impartial. 

2 hours ago, vogie said:

John Bercow knows the rules, but he only uses them for his own agenda. He is an europhile with 'blox to brexit' on his car. The speaker should remain impartial, but he is anything but. In his defence he knows many big words, so may be better suited chairing 'The Good Old Days'

'The Good Old Days'

Do you mean when Britain was still a force to reckon with in the world, still had a decent military, decided her own destiny, owned the cars with British brands, built real things like aircraft.

Since joining the EU, it's a shambles and a joke on the international stage, lost it's military more or less, doesn't make it's own cars, or much at all, come to it.

10 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Bercow had to follow the rules. There are too many eyes on this one for his usual bias. He’s saved May from a third surrender humiliation, but could have shot himself in his Remainer foot.
Much now depends on the EU unanimity for an extension vote on Thursday. That’s not guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It will be very interesting to see whether the eu agree to allow the uk an extension in view of this latest blow to the eu/may 'deal' - bearing in mind they've said many times that their 'deal' cannot be changed.

Leaving with no deal will hurt them as much as it hurts us IMO - so why would they allow an extension now that Bercow has ruled that it cannot be voted on (yet again....) in Parliament?

Rhetorical question obviously ????.

11 minutes ago, champers said:

He says it is his wife's car.

He probably is telling the truth, I am not saying he does not have strong views on the subject, he would not be in parliament if he did not have political views, anyway a lot of people will know who is who's car, I do not even think they are the same cars, if you look at the registration number plates, there is the name of the suppliers and they seem to differ which I think is just fake news by Brexit Smear.

2 hours ago, Thairealist said:

Treacherous May certainly knows what she’s doing. She’s a fully fledged remainer intent on keeping the U.K in the E.U. Even though the majority of her fellow citizens voted to leave. 

719E8EBD-366F-42ED-A985-0F201B6E171C.jpeg

Dead right.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Hence todays Current Bun:

The Sun Tuesday

14 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:
2 hours ago, Basil B said:

so what rules has he ignored?

Got picture of his car with blox to brexit on it?

there is a picture in todays daily mail ,actually its his wifes car ,

And Vogie did not answer the first part of the question.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

He said it was his wifes car, I havn't seen the log book, have you, do you believe everything thing you read. He is the one with personalised Bercow number plates, he is the one driving around flaunting his impartiality. You would think someone of his neutrality (????) would have enough nous to show more sense.

My own car is my wifes......but she has yet to drive it despite clocking up almost as many miles in it as are on the clock.

(Both posts aimed at casual observers).

18 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Hence todays Current Bun:

The Sun Tuesday

And B*LL*CKS the the Murdoch's

Any intelligent person will know that the Murdoch's as owners of the Sun have used it to politically influence those of lower intelligence for decades.

though I would be interested to know what it says on Pages 4&5

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

It will be very interesting to see whether the eu agree to allow the uk an extension in view of this latest blow to the eu/may 'deal' - bearing in mind they've said many times that their 'deal' cannot be changed.

Leaving with no deal will hurt them as much as it hurts us IMO - so why would they allow an extension now that Bercow has ruled that it cannot be voted on (yet again....) in Parliament?

Let's hope Farage secures a veto.

40 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Three cheers for Saint Bercow, why on earth should May be allowed to bring the same deal back to the house again and again until she bores everyone into submission, if it is part of the speakers rules that this is not permitted in the same parliamentary session. Brexiteers will no doubt be scrambling around desperately to try and paint this as being some kind of conspiracy against them - beyond sad. The precedent goes back to 1604 for heavens sake, were they plotting against Brexit then? 

The greatest pleasure I have on hearing this news, is that the twisted religious fundamentalists of the DUP will miss out on their second bung. British politics was beginning to look worse than a fight in a Pattaya brothel to our EU friends. 

Yes, a second bung is on the cards. Hammond admitted as much to Marr.

Unfortunately, the current proposal for a second referendum is "May's deal Yes/No". If it's "No", back to where we are now. Madness. I don't think that the British public are going to be given the chance to say "May's deal/remain" which is what the majority want on a ballot paper. So much for democracy.

The majority in HoC may want that ballot choice but perhaps the majority of the people would prefer "May's deal/ No deal" as the choices on any ballot paper

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Force revocation of A50

30 minutes ago, Basil B said:

And Vogie did not answer the first part of the question.

Bercow only remains in his position because some Labour MPs have overlooked his bullying allegations in return for his support as an ally on brexit. If that is not being biased perhaps you can tell us what is.

""Brexit is a game that could scarcely be controlled by any referee since long before it started. That the referee is now so clearly out of control too is a shocking, if unsurprising, development."

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/john-bercow-brexit-speaker-grieve-amendment-commons-mps-bullying-a8719641.html

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Bercow only remains in his position because some Labour MPs have overlooked his bullying allegations in return for his support as an ally on brexit. If that is not being biased perhaps you can tell us what is.

""Brexit is a game that could scarcely be controlled by any referee since long before it started. That the referee is now so clearly out of control too is a shocking, if unsurprising, development."

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/john-bercow-brexit-speaker-grieve-amendment-commons-mps-bullying-a8719641.html

Brexiteering, the philosophy that everything that’s wrong in life is somebody else’s fault.

13 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Force revocation of A50

I doubt MPs will be stupid enough to do this, as it will prove beyond any doubt their duplicity.

I know you think the electorate have changed their mind since the referendum - but (like MPs....), I'm not at all convinced this is the case and suspect that they're not quite stupid enough to revoke article 50.

If they did so, more than a few MPs would lose their seats at the next GE IMO.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I do wish they’d print The Sun on softer paper.

27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

How can anyone dislike a decision that upsets the sun so much?

I think the jury is out on whether Holly suits a denim dress could be my biggest decision of the day now I need some softer paper to fully work this out.

41 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm obviously still missing something here ☹️.  Surely leavers should be happy at Bercow's decision?

It leaves both uk MPs and the eu in a very difficult position - where they're all going to have to make clear their intentions?

Can someone please explain to me why leavers apparently aren't keen on Bercow's ruling?

Archived