May's Brexit deal in chaos as Speaker sparks 'constitutional crisis'

webfact

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Actually agree with the first para. I think there may well have been a gentle whisper in Bercow's ear, with the prospect of points of order being raised if he ignored this rule. But I would also be surprised if May had not been aware of this possibility. Leadsom was surprised and pissed off though, unless she is an even better actress than May.  

The rule was raised in Parliament last Thursday , repeated the following day

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nauseus said:

= GE

Either Corbyn calls for another Vote of confidence and can do better than last time, or can get 488 MP's to back a GE, and given both Labour and the Tory's are going to get trashed it would be even a bigger mess with a hung Parliament.

Tories and Labour are already $@@@@ing themselves over the prospect of participating in the EU elections.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Pretty much says it all, that you consider the poorest/those with a different opinion, as peasants.....

I suspect he's referring to the Peasants' revolt of 1504. Now that didn't work out well now did it?

May I be excused for cracking an old joke?

Who led the pedants' revolt? Which Tyler! ????

Actually, a peasants revolt is well overdue. The obscene inequality and poverty is down to our "government". The peasants on Farage's walk are blaming the wrong people, as peasants everywhere are likely to do; that's why they are peasants!

Just now, cleopatra2 said:

The rule was raised in Parliament last Thursday , repeated the following day

Its not a rule, its a precedent. If the motion from May was seen to be coming in as a slam dunk, then maybe allowed, but otherwise 3 defeats in a row not looking good. Yes, problems with EU re length of postponement delay, but still shows Parliamentary strength pushing no-deal to one side if it happens, however temporary.

Nadhim Zahawi, Children and Families' minister, told BBC Newsnight that one of the options was for MPs to vote on whether to ignore the 400-year-old convention that Mr Bercow had cited in making his ruling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47620235

I was wondering how she would get enough votes for that, but there again I am sure there are enough MP's who would like to see her thrashed again. ????

Nadhim Zahawi, Children and Families' minister... how did he get that job? Blue Peter Badge I suppose.????

7 hours ago, helpisgood said:

Help me out here.  Really!  I am not a Brit.

How was May's office "blindsided" by this?  Does not anyone there know Parliament's rules and procedure, or whatever it may be called? [snip] wonder if May's team knows what they are doing.  

This was pointed out last year so it was disregarded rather than unknown. 

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I said it before and I will say it again;

Never before have I seen a country so utterly determined to shoot itself in the crotch.

Not the country.

Some people are happy to be slaves and glad of their chains. With a due respect you come across as a person who would say... but if I gain my freedom then who will be my master. 

6 hours ago, vogie said:

John Bercow knows the rules, but he only uses them for his own agenda. He is an europhile with 'blox to brexit' on his car. The speaker should remain impartial, but he is anything but. In his defence he knows many big words, so may be better suited chairing 'The Good Old Days' 

Quite a hypocrisy that Brexiteers kick and scream at the mere mention of a second referendum, but call it a conspiracy when the speaker won't allow a *third* vote on the exact same question.

7 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Quite a hypocrisy that Brexiteers kick and scream at the mere mention of a second referendum, but call it a conspiracy when the speaker won't allow a *third* vote on the exact same question.

I don't recall 'conspiracy" being used.................. but if that is your best shot at hypocrisy, I would go back to the drawing board.

14 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

For me it's not about leave/remain, this is just establishing that there are limits- arguably bringing it back a second time was already pushing it.  May has also repeatedly shown contempt for Parliament.

17 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

You seem confused.

7 hours ago, helpisgood said:

How was May's office "blindsided" by this?  Does not anyone there know Parliament's rules and procedure, or whatever it may be called?  

Or, is there something more to the story that the OP's article has left out?  Has this old precedent been normally ignored or interpreted generously in favor of the govt. or something like that?  I did notice that they did vote on the proposal twice before.  If not, it makes me wonder if May's team knows what they are doing.  

The parliamentary bible. "Erskine May: Parliamentary Practice" referred to as Erskine May.

Which MP's is going to fork out of their expenses £400 for a copy when they can buy 2 floating duck houses for that amount.

7 hours ago, Basil B said:

Though they could bend the rules...

I suppose we will have to wait many years before a top civil servant/government advise sheds some light on this in their memoirs

Oh I rather doubt it, as soon as Bercow's time as speaker up, he will push into the limelight, and as he seems to be central to the business, he will not be able to resist talking about it.

That is definitely his style.

Incidentally, as someone has mentioned his car, there is a story that not long after his controversial appointment as Mr Speaker, his car suffered a minor "ding" in the MPs car park. He approached a group of MPs nearby who he suspected had witnessed or been involved, (bear in mind he is a noticeably small man).

"I'm not happy!" he announced.

"Oh, so which one are you?" came the reply from an unidentified MP at the back of the group...

8 hours ago, helpisgood said:

How was May's office "blindsided" by this?  Does not anyone there know Parliament's rules and procedure, or whatever it may be called?  

Or, is there something more to the story that the OP's article has left out?  Has this old precedent been normally ignored or interpreted generously in favor of the govt. or something like that?  I did notice that they did vote on the proposal twice before.  If not, it makes me wonder if May's team knows what they are doing.  

Since taking office May has been trying to get round the rules. First to try and make it so any deal could be accepted just by the executive and then when that failed to try and get her deal through however she could.

Maybe she thought Bercrow would keep turning a blind eye to her antics. Noticeably Corbyn and the other opposition muppets never challenged this either.

May was deliberately running the clock down to pressure acceptance of her deal and doing whatever was necessary to bribe, coerce and intimidate support.  Now she's been tripped up because they didn't pay attention to the rules.

The arrogance as well as the ineptitude is staggering!

7 hours ago, vogie said:

I think the problem we have with Bercow is that he not accountable to anyone, he can, and is doing anything, he feels like doing. Bercow is running the show.

Bercow vote counts, 17,400,000 people’s vote does not.

New style Democracy for the U.K. A colony of the E.U.

A95D6437-7B45-4E97-895A-4C2B2855D34D.jpeg

8 hours ago, Thairealist said:

Treacherous May certainly knows what she’s doing. She’s a fully fledged remainer intent on keeping the U.K in the E.U. Even though the majority of her fellow citizens voted to leave. 

719E8EBD-366F-42ED-A985-0F201B6E171C.jpeg

What do you expect? The EU pay and benefits are far better.

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

so what rules has he ignored?

Got picture of his car with blox to brexit on it?

Actually it's his wife's car and she has never been led by him on anything!

But it is true that Bercow is selective about what rules he calls on and when.  However to think that this may be him trying to scupper Brexit would be misguided.  It makes the likelihood of Britain leaving without a deal more likely, or at least that is how it seems.  It also gives May a cop out if that happens.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Since taking office May has been trying to get round the rules. First to try and make it so any deal could be accepted just by the executive and then when that failed to try and get her deal through however she could.

Maybe she thought Bercrow would keep turning a blind eye to her antics. Noticeably Corbyn and the other opposition muppets never challenged this either.

May was deliberately running the clock down to pressure acceptance of her deal and doing whatever was necessary to bribe, coerce and intimidate support.  Now she's been tripped up because they didn't pay attention to the rules.

The arrogance as well as the ineptitude is staggering!

I would call it disgusting and offensive but suspect you are more kind hearted than I.

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah the irony, someone who no longer resides in the U.K. demonstrating for a course of action that impacts upon those who do live there. 

Throughout these Brexit threads, a number of posters have championed the remain side. From my observation many of them, if not the majority,not only do they not reside in the U.K. but more telling is the fact that they are not even British.

They are like a man,whose wife has left him for someone younger,more virile, richer and with the prospect of providing her with a better life. Yet the husband refuses to accept the inevitable.

I do in fact live in the U.K. and I can assure you that people are very angry,and not only these who support leaving this so called union.This of course also applies to many who no longer do live in the U.K.

As an example- 

I confess to not being interested in politics but, in the Brexit fiasco, my understanding from afar is that the people of the UK voted to leave and the members of parliament have a job to represent them. It’s not a Party v. Party fight but an obligation to work together and deliver the will of the people.

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...After two-and-a-half years of negotiations with the EU, the outcome remains uncertain - with options including a long postponement, exiting with May's deal, a economically disruptive exit without a deal, or even another EU membership referendum..."

What a ClusterF**k.

I said it before and I will say it again;

Never before have I seen a country so utterly determined to shoot itself in the crotch.

549110180_Brexitnegociations.jpg.6b6c2d6e0f594490c2f6fc880403da96.jpgTlg---_illustratie_Brexit_2_.JPG.f297fc4a9504e2636f7060f84af7fe07.JPG

gambled and lost.jpg

more difficult for May as ever thought.jpg

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

What do you expect? The EU pay and benefits are far better.

Just a mare 48,11 % voted for remain. And a lot who voted for elave regret their vote together with many of of the 27,8%, who did not show up.

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Just a mare 48,11 % voted for remain. And a lot who voted for elave regret their vote together with many of of the 27,8%, who did not show up.

Because you spout something,doesn’t necessarily make it true.

As I beleive those 27% who failed to vote, would now vote to leave. 

Just my opinion,and as worthless as yours.

12 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

You are right. She is a mare.

49 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Throughout these Brexit threads, a number of posters have championed the remain side. From my observation many of them, if not the majority,not only do they not reside in the U.K. but more telling is the fact that they are not even British.

They are like a man,whose wife has left him for someone younger,more virile, richer and with the prospect of providing her with a better life. Yet the husband refuses to accept the inevitable.

I do in fact live in the U.K. and I can assure you that people are very angry,and not only these who support leaving this so called union.This of course also applies to many who no longer do live in the U.K.

As an example- 

I confess to not being interested in politics but, in the Brexit fiasco, my understanding from afar is that the people of the UK voted to leave and the members of parliament have a job to represent them. It’s not a Party v. Party fight but an obligation to work together and deliver the will of the people.

I live in the UK and I am directly affected by Brexit and I am mightily angry.  Not because the UK voted to leave (I accept that) but because of all the lies told and now people trying to weasel out of their commitment to deliver the Brexit promised.  If they held their hands up and said "Sorry folks we misjudged how difficult Brexit would be and we can't deliver what we said we would".  Rather than that they squirm around and try desperately to salvage something from the chaos.

And I do smile at all the ex-pats who have such strong opinions about Brexit BUT they are still Brits and that gives them the right to have that opinion.  I also think that "foreigners" on TV have the right of their opinion too.  I certainly comment on what is happening in Thailand and the US and the rest of Europe.

9 hours ago, vogie said:

He said it was his wifes car, I havn't seen the log book, have you, do you believe everything thing you read. He is the one with personalised Bercow number plates, he is the one driving around flaunting his impartiality. You would think someone of his neutrality (????) would have enough nous to show more sense.

But isn't it ridiculous that May has had her deal defeated in Parliament by a huge majority twice that she still wants to have it put them further time? Threatening all sorts of things. If they don't

Archived