Expelled at BKK today

43 minutes ago, 1RDN said:

You are referring to the tourist visa?

I have never decided to do a tourist visa because I have to return to the US or Europe for work every month. The Visa on arrival is (was) convenient. 

I went to Laos specifically to get a tourist visa and was denied at Don Muang. They are probably referring to a work, retirement, wedding or elite visa. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

The OP wrote he has been living in Thailand as a "tourist", one month in 10 days out, for 2 years. I am not surprised he has been refused entry on the same terms. 

It was a shame though that they didn't tell him personally why.

I find it difficult to believe there was no verbal explanation or perhaps pointing at the numerous number of entries on their print-out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

If you're a perpetual tourist, your safest bet is to fly to KUL, then to Penang, and then cross the border by land, at least at present Of course, they may start attacking that border soon, if people started using it frequently. And in two years when their software will be in all borders (highly likely), any border will be risky to enter for perpetual tourist. 

Did they send you directly to US or the country or your last boarding airport?

What is your plan now? May be members can suggest a better or less riskier plan for you to keep visiting your GF.

How old are you?

Did you ask them when can you can come back?

If you don't mind answering, r u a digital nomad (or a remoter worker)?

BJ said recently they would be using AI software at the border crossing. This is the most dangerous use of AI. They can simply amend their laws to give peace of mind to travelers who won't risk a denial at the airport. It is becoming a huge crisis for travelers. I hope they do something after the new government is formed to ease the mind of travelers. 

Edited by onera1961

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Sounds like OP made only short term visits of not more than 30 days and then back home, so actually this should be one of the situations for which visa exempts were made.

The visit is strictly for tourism purposes! 

Which this isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, madmen said:

Not true. Just get the appropriate visa . What has expensive flights have to do with anything?

Appropriate visa means TV or METV? But there is not guarantee with those visas also unless they change the rule and make it specific like how many times one can enter, how many days one can stay, days in between entries, etc. Just like they have now for land border crossing, e.g. two visa exempt entries. They have to change the rules for TV holders also, otherwise huge pressure will be on neighboring embassies as perpetual tourists will start using those embassies to obtain new visas.

I hope something will emerge after the new government is formed. This uncertainty is a huge crisis for perpetual tourists. They should know the rules of the land for the peace of mind and not risk a denial and further expense back.  

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

You are referring to the tourist visa?

I have never decided to do a tourist visa because I have to return to the US or Europe for work every month. The Visa on arrival is (was) convenient. 

Are you under 50? Had you spent more time in or out of Thailand in the last year?

8 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Anyone who is rich enough to be a perpetual tourist can:

1. Buy an elite visa for Thailand.

OR

2. Take their money somewhere where they will be appreciated and not have to jump through outrageous immigration requirements.

There is always an underlying reason why a person becomes a perpetual tourist in Thailand. A perpetual wealthy tourist will visit lots of lots of country and his frequency of visit to Thailand may be no more than 2/3 per year. 

The OP seems to have money to go back to USA/Europe every month and your suggestion is a good one to buy an elite. 

you can apply for a single entry tourist visa (SETV) by mail in the USA.  you would send the application to the thai consulate that covers the area where you live in USA.  i got mine from the los angeles consulate.  it takes about two weeks before it is returned to you so you'd have to stay in USA for the processing time. 

once you arrive in thailand you'll get permission to stay of 60 days and that can be extended for 30 days at your local thai immigration office.  if you need to leave for short trip back to USA or to europe for work after you've stayed in thailand for 30 days, buy a re-entry permit at the airport before you leave.  then when you return, let's say in 10 days, you will be entering on that same tourist visa and will still have the original permission to stay of 60 days (from your initial arrival, when you used the new visa).  you can then get the 30 day extension and another re-entry permit if you have to make a quick trip europe/usa again. the key thing is to avoid visa exempt entries.

you could also apply for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV), which is valid longer than the single entry and might fit your needs better.  there is also the thai elite visa (cost 500,000thb for 5 years) that has long stay features and an added benefit of ability to use premium lanes at  suvarnabhumi (which is helpful if you travel alot in economy).

Edited by buick

1 hour ago, 1RDN said:

I think that volunteering information that I come here an stay/travel with my Thai girlfriend was a mistake. 

there was some discussion about this not long ago on this forum.  my belief is if you are using visa exempt or tourist visa's to stay in the country, the best story to tell immigration is everything about tourism.  nothing about a thai GF.  that just gives them the signal that you are living here using visa exempt/tourist visa entries.  some forum members didn't like that strategy and said best to tell the truth.

i suggest preparing a story in advance about your tourist activities in the country (w/o a GF).  it is possible you'll get stopped again if you continue to stay long periods in the country using tourist visas.  so start working on the story.

i always get sent to secondary upon my return to the USA and i have a story prepared for them.  one time i had a memory lapse and when the guy asked me what i do in thailand i answered 'not much'.  those long flights can leave you vulnerable, you mind is not running at full strength.  the officer didn't like that answer at all and i had to quickly repeat my usual story and i was then let through.

2 hours ago, 1RDN said:

..... I really don't know why they denied access. Nobody said anything. .....

Can you find out from the refusal of entry stamp if there is one in your passport?

Edited by post