Expelled at BKK today

Thank you jspill.

What you mean is the cancellation letter from the school. I have always done that before leaving with every ED visa - also in April I will do it again, so that is all fine.

Flying to KUL instead of BKK is really a big hassle as the flights to BKK are so much less expensive and shorter - also already booked.

I will book a return flight / rent onward flight confirmation and have 20k THB ready - hope that at least helps.

I feels really silly that is is now "forbidden" even to think about visiting my home country and worrying if I can come back here.

Organizing a new ED visa is a good idea but it would only help if I did not fly back into Thailand I guess.

I have been thinking about leaving Thailand a lot in the past few weeks. I love this country but I am still young and I do not want to "imprison" myself here for 20 years (Elite card) - I like to be flexible which is why I like 1years visas.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The rule was for visa exempt entries only. It restricted you to 90 days in any six month period. It was only in force for a short period.

Thanks!  That's what I thought I was recalling... Just was afraid of posting the details from memory and being wrong.  It may well be, that some IO's may still use that as some kind of yardstick, even if it's not officially on the books anymore.

8 hours ago, 1RDN said:

You are referring to the tourist visa?

I have never decided to do a tourist visa because I have to return to the US or Europe for work every month. The Visa on arrival is (was) convenient. 

Its not visa on arrival. U visa exempt don't need any visas.

Its strange cuz its dont looks like op was doing in out many times... 

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

My gut feel is that you would be OK entering with an actual tourist visa with that history. Entering visa exempt would be risky. The immigration official is going to get the notification that you have 5+ visa exempt entries since around the middle of 2015 which qualifies you for enhanced scrutiny. There seems plenty of evidence that you are denied entry visa exempt much more readily than when using a visa.

Absolute security would be flying to, say, Vientiane, entering by land, and taking a domestic flight from, say, Udon Thani (less than an hour from the Thai border after entering from Vientiane). That is obviously a real hassle.

Thanks for your opinion. Flying to another place than BKK would mean cancelling the flight. In this case I would not go through all that hassle with entering by land and then using a sh*tty domestic airline to go to BKK / DMK.
It seems more wise to me to cancel the upcoming trip (and also the one planned for later this year), forget about the cancellation fee for the flight, the loss of the deposit for the rental condo and also the loss of my suitcase with clothes stored in that condo building. That would all add up to about 2,500 Euros, which is not so much more than a last minute oneway ticket back home.
But in the case of the cancellation I will be staying safe at home and and won't be treated like s*it by some IOs.
Time to really intensify my search for alternatives to Thailand.

Edited by Peterbilt
typo

I work FIFO and have been coming in on a 3 weeks in 1 month out for the last 2 years. 

Even though I don't ever exceed 28 days I decided to go down the METV route to, if anything, try to show that I'm doing the right thing and not using the VE route and run the risk of the same thing happening to me. At the end of this swing at work I will be hanging around in Perth to apply for a new METV. This will be #4 so hopefully it will be granted. I always have copies of my next 2 return flights and accommodation along with no less than 30k baht on me at all times. The IO actually told me last time that I don't need a visa but you can never garuntee getting a polite and friendly IO like that so for $550 a year I'm happy to pay it. Just my 2 bobs worth. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

Thanks for your opinion. Flying to another place than BKK would mean cancelling the flight. In this case I would not go through all that hassle with entering by land and then using a sh*tty domestic airline to go to BKK / DMK.
It seems more wise to me to cancel the upcoming trip (and also the one planned for later this year), forget about the cancellation fee for the flight, the loss of the deposit for the rental condo and also the loss of my suitcase with clothes stored in that condo building. That would all add up to about 2,500 Euros, which is not so much more than a last minute oneway ticket back home.
But in the case of the cancellation I will be staying safe at home and and won't be treated like s*it by some IOs.
Time to really intensify my search for alternatives to Thailand.

could avoid all those lost money etc. by taking the most simple visa …. much cheaper and no risk to be refused entry , why never thought about that ? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I though they had refused people with tourist VISAs?

could be , but this one is a perpetuum mobile way used visa exempt …. sooner or  later this can happen …. a bottle floats in the river until it meats a rock ….

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

could avoid all those lost money etc. by taking the most simple visa …. much cheaper and no risk to be refused entry , why never thought about that ? 

Thats correct. I just prepared the paperwork for the SETV application, will bring it to the post office on Thursday.
If I get the SETV its a better chance to make it into Thailand, if the application gets declined there's always the option for cancellation.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would say visa waiver on entry was exactly the way a foreigner should come and see his gf for a week or two.

Tourist VISA is for tourists.

Thai immigration runs the show, no one else. How it is interepted by the peanut gallery is of no consequence. "Next" in line. Step up to the officer.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, madmen said:

Not true. Just get the appropriate visa . What has expensive flights have to do with anything?

Actually, get a long term Vietnam visa.  As far as I know, you are able to go to a neighboring country if rejected by Thailand and if you already have a current visa for other SEA country.    Immigration is a business as well.  They like handing out 30 extension too for B1900.  To be on the safe side, give them a little money from time to time and have a back up visa.    Personally, I would rather spend less time in Thailand.  

Edited by yellowboat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Millions, if not billions, of people around the world work their nuts off for 50 weeks a year just to get a 2 week vacation.

Some of those people choose Thailand for their holiday, and for most, it is a one-off trip. I don't doubt that they had a great time, Thailand is a unique and captivating place to visit.

It's only the people who get sucked in that get the immigration problems, 99% of people go home to their families and jobs.

Thailand wants the visitors who come and blow 100k in 2 weeks, they don't want frugal ex-pats.

It's always about money - enough money can solve almost any issue here.

I think this is 100% correct. Thailand wants you to come visit, marvel at all its treasures for 2 weeks, blow a huge stack of cash and then go home and tell all your friends how great it is so they do the same thing. 

I find it really odd expats believe Thailand really wants them to stay long term; even if they are married with families.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Anyone doing back to back visa exempt or tourist visa, raises the question, "how are they supporting themselves". I would ask the question and I am not immigration. You are either independently wealthy at age 35, or doing something illegal.

Sure as hell isnt working illegally teaching English and affording a flight to and from the states every month. 

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

If you'd lived in any of those countries for five years, married to a local and had children, you're a citizen.

Actually for the US it's 3 years if they entered married to a US citizen, 5 years for anyone else just holding a green card.

Another 10 months and we're there.

Can anyone imagine that happening for a farang spouse in Thailand???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Actually for the US it's 3 years if they entered married to a US citizen, 5 years for anyone else just holding a green card.

Another 10 months and we're there.

Can anyone imagine that happening for a farang spouse in Thailand???

one can always dream 555

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

You do know they are refusing to issue visas to many people, and have changed the retirement visa requirements, don't you? 

Soon, you will see people that have been living here for years on retirement visas, moving onto tourist visas, which they may not be issued, and if issued, still may not be allowed entry into Thailand. 

What would be your advice be to these people?

My advice is, Cambodia and Vietnam are nice, and a one year VISA is around $300 no questions asked.

• Like 2

I dont see where the problems come from. I work in the oilfield and am in and out every 28 days for 8 years now on visa on arrival, with no issues. Have been pulled up a couple times and questioned then let in no issues. There has to be something with some of the people getting refused entry that isnt being listed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iroc4life said:

I dont see where the problems come from. I work in the oilfield and am in and out every 28 days for 8 years now on visa on arrival, with no issues. Have been pulled up a couple times and questioned then let in no issues. There has to be something with some of the people getting refused entry that isnt being listed.

I'd guess the difference between you and the OP is you're spending substantial amounts of work time outside of Thailand, whereas he has been basically living/staying in Thailand with only brief stints elsewhere.