EDC reduces daytime energy supply to offset shortage

geovalin

Electricité du Cambodge yesterday issued a statement saying that due to power shortages, it has reduced the supply of electricity in the Kingdom during the day in order to ensure supply at night. In the statement, EDC said it had contacted neighbouring countries in order to provide more electricity. It said that Thailand agreed to supply 80 megawatts, Laos 10 megawatts, while Vietnam refused due to its own energy supply issues in its southern provinces.

“We are still lacking 13 percent of energy,” the statement noted. “Because of this, the EDC has reduced the supply of electricity until the rain season comes.”

.“We are alternating locations that receive electricity during the day because people need electricity the most at night,” it added. “We are trying our best to deploy our own generators to supply electricity during the day at industrial areas, hospitals, water facilities, embassies and government institutions.”

Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday renewed a call for the public and government institutions to reduce usage, noting that the Kingdom is currently facing a shortage of 400 megawatts of electricity due to a lack of water to power electric dams. “I am appealing for understanding from our people because this issue is related to climate change,” Mr Hun Sen said. “Climate change has caused some areas to lack water and electricity.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50588110/edc-reduces-daytime-energy-supply-to-offset-shortage/

Lots of reports of low or no water pressure and erratic power outages all over Phnom Penh on one Cambo expat forum. Was chatting online with a friend in Phnom Penh via his phone and his power had just gone out again in late morning. Also internet went and he lost water pressure several times. Lives north of Sihanouk Blvd.

I was considering moving back to PP this year. Think I'll wait and stay here in VN. Where I live there's no utility problems. However, VN is also forecasting a shortage of electricity in the south. 

Archived