Tax Office....Should I rattle their cage?

filed on 5 January, got a receipt, they told me first week of March...anyone else have similar issue?  Apparently, there is some kind of fiasco involving payment at KTB, and they dont issue checks, like before....I would like to close this...only place on earth that owes me money, and not really people i like owing me, unfortunately.

It may be worth checking at the Revenue office. A couple of times in the past they wanted to query something but if I had not gone and asked no idea if they would have called me. 

I filed after you (at Jomtien) and received my letter about getting payment facilitated by KTB about 3/4 weeks ago.

No fiasco - just different process. If you read some of the recent threads it should be quite straightforward.

20 minutes ago, topt said:

It may be worth checking at the Revenue office. A couple of times in the past they wanted to query something but if I had not gone and asked no idea if they would have called me. 

I filed after you (at Jomtien) and received my letter about getting payment facilitated by KTB about 3/4 weeks ago.

No fiasco - just different process. If you read some of the recent threads it should be quite straightforward.

thanks, and yes, I did read the other threads...and there are reports of people going into KTB and them having no clue, along with a history of requiring WP to open an account, but there is a work-around..maybe, at some branches....70 days to pay someone?  the only thing missing is the punchcards...a fiasco.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

and there are reports of people going into KTB and them having no clue, along with a history of requiring WP to open an account, but there is a work-around..maybe, at some branches...

Not what I read and/or experienced.

3 options on the letter. For most it will come down to being issued an e-Card which gets loaded with refund amount and which you then pull from the ATM with the card just like a normal ATM card. Once you have it you keep it for next year or until they change the system again.........

No need for PromptPay or a new KTB account.

Personally I think it is a bonus that we can even claim for withheld tax.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

the only thing missing is the punchcards...a fiasco.

And you may want to consider that this is Thailand (with all that entails) and not Europe.........:thumbsup:

I talked to them.  It was my first year in BKK, so I didn't know my local office.  Filed at the main office and they forwarded it to my local office, where it set.  It was still on steep 1 of 5..but she got on the phone, and now it is on 4 of 5, and they sent it after a mere 69 days.  I think the, but they are Thai comes across more racist than anything.  Incompetence is incompetence...zero trouble doing it before.  When the toilet is clogged, it is clogged, it isnt a matter of nationality, and most civilized folks would expect it to work.  But, the lady was very nice, and after the usual bs about work permit and all that, she actually looked at my receipt and realized I already had tax id, and had filed.  Revenue Dept still beats the heck out of Immigration...but stalling on giving a refund for money that should not be taken in the first place is more of the shoot yourself in the foot kind of thing that isnt good business.

In the past I got a check from the Thai Revenue Department if I was due an income tax refund.  This year my employer told me I needed to contact my bank and have PromptPay added to my bank account, because the government now wants to use that for all payments.

I got all set up with a yellow book and proof from bank i paid, several years ago...getting set up with employer is different, but with a WP, I doubt there would be a need a for cert of residence or other migraine, but YMMV.

Getting the refund from the Krung Thai Bank is all detailed on their website here. Unfortunately it's all in Thai.

https://www.ktb.co.th/th/krungthai-update/promotion-detail/173

The first table shows the channels that are available to foreigners (2nd row). KTB account, e-Money Card, e-Wallet. Bring your passport to collect the money.

The second table details which documents you need in case you don't have a Krung Thai bank account (i.e. to open one)

Also 2nd row.

For foreigner the requirements are:

1. Passport

2. Work permit OR Yellow house book OR Income Certificate (whatever that is) OR some other type of income certificate.

The third table details what is required if the tax payer is not available to receive his refund in person.

(only channel is e-money card)

Lots of documents including power of attorney are required.

You have 6 months to collect the money from the bank from the time the refund is approved

update..I actuall got the form 21 last night.  Just got back from a larger ktb branch in nonthaburi.  Never mentioned WP, but asked me my job..always retired, here, even if I was working..anywhere.  E-card is the way to go.  I got a queue ticket for new accounts, which was a good move..still took 25 minutes.  

Based on reports, I had my doubts about being able to do it on the outskirts of bkk, I was about ready to visit the main branch...glad i didnt.

6 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

For foreigner the requirements are:

1. Passport

2. Work permit OR Yellow house book OR Income Certificate (whatever that is) OR some other type of income certificate.

For the e-money card all I needed was passport and the letter from the revenue office - however YMMV.

The process has been detailed now in several threads in this forum.

16 hours ago, topt said:

For the e-money card all I needed was passport and the letter from the revenue office - however YMMV.

The process has been detailed now in several threads in this forum.

Yes, the work permit / yellow house book requirement is if you wish to open a new account.  The e-Money card only requires passport. Sorry if it was unclear.

I got mine yesterday deposited into my already existing Krung Thai account and didn't even need to show passport.  Just bank book and the letter.

Archived