"I didn't know what to do!" - woman driver fined 500 baht for blocking ambulance

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The cops listened to Nam Oi's excuse and fined her 500 baht after she turned herself in.

Wow, that will make her think twice next time she is purposely blocking a vehicle and doing brake tests to annoy them.

I just had to look it up what the fine would be in my home country for blocking an ambulance: 640 euros (23,000 baht).

Btw, for doing a brake test (purposely touching the brakes to annoy the person behind you) the fines are a bit unclear as it will be part of "unnecessary jeopardizing other participants in traffic" which can result in your driving license being revoked (plus a monetary fine).

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, toenail said:

“She didn’t know what to do”- common instinct tells one to pull over to a different lane. I wonder if this question is on the Thai driver exam???? (I doubt it)

5 hours ago, Cereal said:

I kinda thought natural instinct would take over. Oh well......

Here is an example : when I first moved here my thai neibour was curious to know where and how I learnt how to water the garden and vacum the pool ....... I get the feeling they are not encouraged to think, just do as they are told, if they are told and shown..

I have seen that happen so many times. Glad to see at last the problem being highlighted, hopefully it will be widely seen on Thai social media and word will spread that allowing emergency vehicles through is essential.

Why do ambulances drive around all the time (emergency or no emergency) with all the lights flashing?  

Emergency lights are for emergencies only.

This is also a cause of the problem of drivers not getting out of the way. 

They may not hear the sirens (car radio, phone call etc) and if the flashing lights are used as they are now then they are meaningless.

If emergency lights are used only for emergencies then In that case - emergency lights AND sirens - gives drivers 2 warnings for getting out of the way.  

This really doesn't surprise me at all. Reminds me of the time my mother in law (with 30+ years driving experience) was driving us and a huge coach came rocketing up behind us blaring its horn. The mother in law's reaction was to instanly break.... sending the coach hurtling towards the backend of our car. Thankfully the coach did not hit us but I remember she was so flustered and panicked that she just did not know what to do and carried on but even slower until we 'advised' her that it would be best if she changed lanes. Some people really are clueless when it comes to driving....

21 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Here is an example : when I first moved here my thai neibour was curious to know where and how I learnt how to water the garden and vacum the pool ....... I get the feeling they are not encouraged to think, just do as they are told, if they are told and shown..

The idea of questioning and thinking is beaten the hell out of them at a very young age at school so unless the environment (meaning mostly the parents) encourages this then unfortunately we get the result we see around us today.

When Lee Kuan Yew was asked if he feared for Singapore’s future development because of its much bigger neighbours he smiled and replied, “What are their education systems like?”

Education, education, education.. Oh well, TIT.

3 minutes ago, saltire44 said:

Why do ambulances drive around all the time (emergency or no emergency) with all the lights flashing?  

Emergency lights are for emergencies only.

This is also a cause of the problem of drivers not getting out of the way. 

They may not hear the sirens (car radio, phone call etc) and if the flashing lights are used as they are now then they are meaningless.

If emergency lights are used only for emergencies then In that case - emergency lights AND sirens - gives drivers 2 warnings for getting out of the way.  

I can only compare the volume of the sirens here to those in the UK, where they're much, much louder. If you were on phone or had the radio on, you still would hear a UK emergency vehicle.

Googling says that apparently UK emergency services sirens are typically around 110 decibels (dB).

It's a lot louder than the ones in Thailand.

Unfortunately the government want as many drivers as possible buying cars and petrol tax tax tax. We had the same in the UK in the 60's Dr. Beeching closed all the branch lines, so thousands of people went out and bought a car.... the mini had just debuted.

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Anytime I hear a siren when driving I check my mirrors and surroundings to know where the sound is coming from. Sometimes you can quickly work out it's coming from the other side of the road so there's no need to worry. Other times you know it's coming from behind you so you best prepare to move out of the way so the emergency vehicle can get through easily. It's your responsibility as a driver and a decent person. 

This is called common sense and empathy. Empathy, or compassion, is supposed to be quite an important pillar within Buddhism. 

Not if I do not like to!!!

no common sense!,,

cannot fix stupid

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Anytime I hear a siren when driving I check my mirrors and surroundings to know where the sound is coming from. Sometimes you can quickly work out it's coming from the other side of the road so there's no need to worry. Other times you know it's coming from behind you so you best prepare to move out of the way so the emergency vehicle can get through easily. It's your responsibility as a driver and a decent person. 

This is called common sense and empathy. Empathy, or compassion, is supposed to be quite an important pillar within Buddhism. 

Sadly, for many, those teachings are only applied towards superficial posturing, symbolism, rituaĺ and are not extended to everyday life. This is the case with many religions and superstitious behaviors.

5 hours ago, johnnykak said:

it may be a cultural thing but when an emergency viehicle come up behind you fast its just logical to let them get passed you. they seem to have had cars for a while, seems like they would know about fire truck and ambulances. very strange attitude and education. i went and visited my sister in new jersey in the usa- an ambulance was coming and it was like moses parting the red sea lol. all the cars on both sides of the street pulled over.

Yes it would seem a natural instinct just clear the way in any way possible, as you mentioned above, in the UK and the rest of Europe i presume it would be just the same, even with narrower roads etc. just bump up on the kerb if need be, yet she still got away lightly with her pathetic excuse!

Not to defend this woman by any means but are others seeing what appears to be fake emergency vehicles? I would agree, she should lose her license until she proves she understands the traffic code.  But, I have seen a couple pickups and a mid budget sedan with no markings at all except flashing red and blue lights discreetly tucked into the grill or on the front dashboard where they can be pulled down quickly. In many countries around the world, impersonating a law enforcement vehicle is a pretty serious crime. It seems very few traffic laws are enforced in Thailand and if they are enforced on the rare occasion, the penalty is pretty weak. I guess it's no wonder the Thai roads are some of the most dangerous in the world.

2 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yes it would seem a natural instinct just clear the way in any way possible, as you mentioned above, in the UK and the rest of Europe i presume it would be just the same, even with narrower roads etc. just bump up on the kerb if need be, yet she still got away lightly with her pathetic excuse!

I see it as a pathetic excuse too.

I suspect the reality is more likely she did know what to do but couldn't be bothered.

However, coming up with what she thought as an attempt at face-saving has just confirmed her excuse has made her look stupid and lose face big time.

Good.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

She's not an isolated case, most local drives 'taught how to drive' by a family member or a friend equally clueless to road's driving laws, the few hours they endure at the land department with the rest of the hurd to get the licence is nothing but a joke, hence the huge never ending fatalities and carnage on thai roads... 

why not have drivers ED taught in schools here?

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I like the word 'courtesy'.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

She didnt know what to do???? pathetic excuse, just get out of the way.

Another case of a very selfish driver not caring about others.

Unfortunately this attitude leads to the carnage on the roads.

In every other area Thais seem polite and caring... on the roads it is not so.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But "Nam Oi" told Bang Plee police she had never experienced this situation before. Instead of moving over to let the emergency vehicle pass - standard procedure in most countries - she remained in the fast lane on Thepparak Raod just annoyingly braking on and off. 

If you are a driver in the US or EU, you know exactly what to do and you do it.  So it really begs the question: Why are Thais "confused" by something that would automatically send a first-world driver to the shoulder in order to let the emergency vehicle pass.
I actually have the answer.  It's police in patrol cars.  Flashing lights and sirens means the police are pulling you over.
In Thailand, there are no police on the road in petrol cars that pull over traffic violators - as such, Thais are completely inured to flashing lights in back of them - those lights mean nothing so Thai drivers do nothing. 
If Thailand puts cops in patrol cars and start pulling traffic violators over - everything with change culturally.  Until then - there will be no change.  Thais will ignore emergency vehicles and will act 'confused' when issued 500 THB tickets that really have no deterrent value at all.  It's the price of driving on Thai roads without having to worry about obeying any laws at all. 

I looked at the video again sure she could have easily pulled over to the left instead of braking etc. yes she should have been fined but also the emergency vehicle seems to have enough space to go around left instead of endangering everyone by tailgating the vehicle. Seems the other party might want to consider what is more important the safety of his vehicle and passenger than demanding an idiot to get out his way!

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think the problem with the so-called driving test here is it doesn't filter out the drivers who are too nervous and who are likely to start panicking under any form of pressure. On their day these drivers can be just as much of a danger as the arrogant, reckless ones. There needs to be an actual part of the driving test that takes place on the public roads in the thick of the mayhem. Then and only then, if the applicant passes should a license be issued.  

If you want to see a farce in action visit one of the DLT offices and observe the “driving test.”

Many many years ago before we moved here and when visiting on holiday my wife decided to take her driving test which she passed.

I observed the “ test” conducted within the grounds of the DLT.

When we returned to Australia I enrolled her with a driving school, as a learner she had to undertake about 150 hours of driving on the road including night time driving which had to be logged in detail in a book.

The driving test on the open road lasted about 45 mins which she passed.

Over the next two years she had to take a further two computerized tests before she was given a full unrestricted license.

Thats what I call learning to drive

Archived